Extra Room

Shed Project

Well, when you work on cars, or on anything for that matter, space is always an issue. I had to move suddenly last year and lost my shop/business and my garage. I have been sorting things out through a divorce and, well, have nowhere to work in my new living arrangements. There is a small garage but it is packed with junk. Enter craigslist shed stage left, here is how the work has progressed.

I forgot to take pictures of the shed before I took it down, I had to disassemble it and I rented a U-Haul truck to haul it home. It broke down into 12

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some 4x4’s and 4x6’s to make the new frame. I made up a joint so they would all fit together like this. Used my skill saw, a chisel, and a hand saw to cut the joints.

IMG00205.jpg

IMG00207.jpg

I didn’t take a pic but I made the joint at each corner bolt together with a single 3/8”x5” lag bolt which goes through each piece of wood in the joint to hold it together. The 4x6 posts fit down through the floor and are bolted to the foundation with two 3/8”x3.5” lags each.

Next I made the two pitched sections on the end. My goal with this shed is to make it all unbolt in case I ever want to move it. So I am making everything in separate pieces. Here are the ends that set the pitch of the roof.

In the photo above you can see the original pitch of the shed, I took it apart and remade it.

IMG00260.jpg

IMG00263.jpg

IMG00261.jpg

IMG00262.jpg

The top of the frame is notched for a 2x6 roof beam

IMG00267.jpg

IMG00266.jpg

IMG00265.jpg

IMG00268.jpg

I goofed when I cut the beam, so I added this little piece of redwood to correct my mistake

IMG00269.jpg

I mean I meant to do it that way. Uh yeah, that’s it. To make the entire job take an extra long time I am oiling every piece with boiled linseed oil before assembly.

The roof beam is secured in place with a 3/8”x3.5” carriage bolt.

IMG00271.jpg

It is hard to see, but I made a jig on my “workbench” so I could assemble the roof supports in pairs on the ground and then lift them into place. All I had to do was line them up and two 3” deck screws hold the against the roof beam. Here is my progress so far. I have my kids for the next few days so I will post progress as I can, and as I make some.

IMG00277.jpg

IMG00279.jpg

This picture shows the progress by the end of day. It also shows the jig set up against the wall.

IMG00281.jpg

Coming together. I know this isn't a car post but this is as close as I have to a car project right now. I got tired of lurking around commenting on everyone else's projects so I just said what the hell. Z

Edited by zenndog
Wow, Bob Vila would be proud. My shed looks like a meth shack compared to that.

I think I am getting a little carried away, but thanks for the comments. I guess I have always wanted to do something like it so why not now?

Beau- If you can turn a tailgate into a roll pan then you can fab that cross member. But why not just keep it all Nissan? My two cents. Z

I love carpentry..........my second hobby after mechanics :D last saturday I was trying to get some info about those little warehouse for rent because as freaky says, I need space to store my spare parts haha.......not a bad idea BTW.

Congratulations.....nice work, no......impressive.

Those are redwood trees in the background. It is a nice place to work. It is right next to a year round creek as well. The problem is if you stop to look around then it may end up being a half an hour before you want to get back to work.

I did get a great deal on the shed, $100.00, but it has taken a lot of time to "salvage" the wood. The siding is the main bonus, it is solid cedar. I haven't even tried to price it as lumber. I did see some cedar sheds that were built like shit and smaller for around 2500-3000.

I am trying to clear a bunch of junk out of the garage so I can use it as a shop.Z

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on the roof. This shed is taking a lot longer to build than I expected.

IMG00285.jpg

I put these pieces of wood on the keep the boards even at the edge of the roof

IMG00287.jpg

Once the sub-roof is done I knocked off the stops and put another stop on spaced out a little farther to hold the corrugated steel. Then proceed to screw down the steel.

IMG00291.jpg

IMG00289.jpg

IMG00290.jpg

One half done

IMG00328.jpg

IMG00327.jpg

IMG00331.jpg

Now I have to take apart the old wall sections to make the new walls

IMG00332.jpg

• 3 months later...

I haven't updated this in a while. The shed is basically finished, just need to make a door and trim out the windows. The windows were taken out of the main house when an addition was done, they were hand built on-site in the 30's. They had been sitting around so I figured but them back into use. My mom has an old pottery wheel that was in the garage, slated to move into the shed so I set the windows so the wheel can be used and she can look out the windows. Got the windows out of storage and the pottery wheel possibly back into service.

It is amazing how much stuff gets collected, my goal has been to turn the garage into a shop but as soon as I cleared it more "stuff" seemed to fill in the space.

IMG00514.jpg

IMG00513.jpg

The shed was full when I decided to build it. It never had a chance. I am already planning to build a lean-to on the garage to get the bicycles out of the shed, at least some of them. My goal is to use the garage as a furniture finishing shop. I will take a pic when it is presentable. Z