a Z vs. a 510

littlekeeley

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Mini owner and a Z owner, nothing I think that I'll drive will ever handle like a classic Mini. I don't think that in anything but a fast sweeper where it's more power than handling will anything ever hang with a properly setup mini in the twisties.

That said, I love my Z, cruises at 85 on the highway no problem and is nice and spunky too.

Either way, I don't think you really can compare these, they have two different uses.

Another thing you have to look at is how much power you want to run. In a dinky little short wheelbase dime, keeping all those rampaging ponies you may potentially have under the control of your right foot can be a handful. The Z has a longer wheelbase and is more forgiving with lots of power.

• 1 month later...

Well , It just depends on your taste ! Like them both , but I own a 240z , and the thing I like ( no offense 510 crew ) is the engine bay is bigger than a 1969 mustangs engine bay or for that fact a $%^& lot of engine bays , meaning swap whatever you want into the thing ! 510's have been swapped with a lot of fast things too , seen it !!! ( believe it ) it really come down to what you like

If you were my father , then a manual transmission does not need a clutch to win a race in certain gears ( just depends how bad you want it , and plan on an extra transmission :mad: ) Me , I like the occasional terror ride to the grocery store , but mostly cruise wherever I drive ! I build , buy , tune , and restore the car for me :cool: , and you guys should too !

Whatever it is , build it , learn it , love it , race it , blow it up or crash it , and do it all over again with no regrets :fu:

Love them both, apples and oranges.

I've had both, and driven examples of both

the 240Z is a sports car, better in fast sweepers and high speed, I've done about 145MPH in a modded 240Z, fast fun car still felt ok at that speed, but that was about the max for it.( my 944 turbo feels much better at 160+)

the 510 is a sedan, better in tight twisties, more nimble, has a rear seat,( bring your friends), maybe a better car for a DD, but no match for long distance touring.

Depends on what you are looking for and what you plan on doing with each.

The correct answer is one of each.

100 mph? Isn't that the average speed limit nowadays? I don't feel butt pucker until about 130, depending on what I'm driving.

I'd say Greybeard hit the nail on the head. I'm going with 510, but for high speed, aerodynamics are a good thing. The Z has them, the 510 does not. Even with a ton of work, a 510 will never feel as good at high speeds 140+ as a Z or Miata, or other car that is slippery.

But who cares? When are you going to go past 130 on public roads anyway? Usually can't hit quite that fast in rally, either, unless you have a big long straight stretch.

Edited by HRH
Iv rode in an SR20det 510 and it was fast and fun as hell....

That thing is a POS ;-)

More internet bullshit.There was a weight difference JUST between the 240-Z models.And the 260 didn't have the heavy bumpers(like the illustration)in the U.S.

Even more i'net bullshit. Late 260's most certainly did come with heavy bumpers.

nissan spent shit loads of money to make new models better than the old ones....thats how it works in the automotive industry.......it makes no sence what so ever that thay would make the newer version worse than the old one.

I'm not too crazy about better, then.

Back to the OP, I'd love to have a 510 too!! :D

That can be arranged ;-)

lol gary put his 240 on the dyno at our last shown shine and dyno day and it dynoed at like 98hp :lol:

Gary's car was/is an auto car yes? Seems pertinent, if only slightly.

In a dinky little short wheelbase dime, keeping all those rampaging ponies you may potentially have under the control of your right foot can be a handful. The Z has a longer wheelbase and is more forgiving with lots of power.

Might wanna recheck yer facts Bawb Dawg. An S30's wheelbase is shorter than a Dime. For some reason, it's a common misconception.

I've owned many many S30's, and driven every model of Z except the 370. I've only owned one 510, have done some fairly invasive mods to two of them.

I struggle with comparing the two platforms. They are as different as night and day. For me, Dimes have been (generally) easier to live with day to day. Virtually all the controls are lighter, visibility is better, easier ingress/egress, nimble, better ventilation, hauls small 'things' in the rear... um... 'passenger area', trunk space is very welcome when hauling 'stuff' (nearly every day, for me) , etc, etc. They do this well, and can be a hoot to drive, too.

An S30 is less 'tolerable'. But, for everything it concedes, it makes up for it in the experience of driving. All of it. Driving position, noises, feel, and so on. Pretty common scenario for more focused platforms.

Different cars. Very different. I like them both, for different reasons. One doesn't replace the other, in my opinion. Moral: own both ;-)

You're right! It's been forever since I've posted that and the Dime wheelbase is quite a bit longer. I stand corrected. I've got a nimble little car (the mini) and car for covering long distances in a short period of time (the Z), I have to say you do need both. It's defiantly a mood thing.

BTW How is the M-Powered Z doing? Maybe I'll cruise out to OR when I get my Benz powerd car finished and we'll see how they compare ;)

BTW How is the M-Powered Z doing?

The VG30DETT 510 found it's way back to the shop for a 100hp bump. Hoping to get back on the MZ early Feb.

Maybe I'll cruise out to OR when I get my Benz powerd car finished and we'll see how they compare ;)

Please do. We'll put you up!

• 13 years later...

This was a great find from deep within the archives. I’ve lusted after the Z-Cars since joining the Datsun fold and it’s reassured me I’m not missing much with my little 1200.

The 510/1600 is still within reach as a ‘dream car’ but I think the Z-Car ship has sailed. Good to know it’ll do great in 90% of the driving that I enjoy.

14 hours ago, Lachlan said:

This was a great find from deep within the archives. I’ve lusted after the Z-Cars since joining the Datsun fold and it’s reassured me I’m not missing much with my little 1200.

The 510/1600 is still within reach as a ‘dream car’ but I think the Z-Car ship has sailed. Good to know it’ll do great in 90% of the driving that I enjoy.

Interesting you should revive this one. Also interesting to here a 510 being still with in reach being you are in Australia. 

I went through this debate recently... Originally a 510 owner (still am - will never sell that car), and have been searching for another one for a few years. I bought a 620 in the middle there, so lost focus on the 510s for a couple years, but always had my eyes out there. I feel like 510s in the US are much harder to come by then Zs. Values are quite as high, but... the baseline is about the same - ie be ready to spend 6-10k for a project these days. The bigger problem being there just aren't many of them left. 

Versus the Z... there are a whole bunch for sale within a few hour drive from me. Yes many are fairly expensive. But the solid project is still out there if you are patient. Case in point - it only took me about 4 months to find a Z project that was reasonably solid and within my budget. 

As for the cars themselves - I think they are very different cars. Everything from the seating position to the handling. It is not a level playing field on my end though - the 510 is quite built and basically a race car; where as the Z is still on stock suspension but does have an L28 in it. I find the Z to be much more of a cruiser, and the 510 a corner killer . It will be interesting to compare once I have done suspension work on the Z - but I suspect the 510 will still be my choice for the twisties. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 7:05 PM, demo243 said:

Interesting you should revive this one. Also interesting to here a 510 being still with in reach being you are in Australia. 

I went through this debate recently... Originally a 510 owner (still am - will never sell that car), and have been searching for another one for a few years. I bought a 620 in the middle there, so lost focus on the 510s for a couple years, but always had my eyes out there. I feel like 510s in the US are much harder to come by then Zs. Values are quite as high, but... the baseline is about the same - ie be ready to spend 6-10k for a project these days. The bigger problem being there just aren't many of them left. 

Versus the Z... there are a whole bunch for sale within a few hour drive from me. Yes many are fairly expensive. But the solid project is still out there if you are patient. Case in point - it only took me about 4 months to find a Z project that was reasonably solid and within my budget. 

As for the cars themselves - I think they are very different cars. Everything from the seating position to the handling. It is not a level playing field on my end though - the 510 is quite built and basically a race car; where as the Z is still on stock suspension but does have an L28 in it. I find the Z to be much more of a cruiser, and the 510 a corner killer . It will be interesting to compare once I have done suspension work on the Z - but I suspect the 510 will still be my choice for the twisties. 

I think the biggest reason why the 510's are harder to find, is that they were simply a point A to point Z cheap car, so people drove the snot out of them, wore them out & scraped them!  On top of that, people figured out that they made GREAT cars to modify, so many were modified & wrecked.  The racers loved them, so built into race cars & wrecked or worn out.

The Z cars were a true sports car, so many people took better care of them, but most importantly, they KEPT them around, even once worn out!  They followed the same parameters regarding modifying & racing, but again, people tended to keep them around, whether parked outside, stored inside etc etc.  I find MANY more Z cars around here in Colorado, than I do 510's................but the 510's are around!!

• Like 1