SR20 Help in Everett, WA

A couple of questions for you guys that have done this swap before. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

1. What fuel pump do you guys run?

2. Do you have to relocate the brake line block on the firewall?

3. Do you add extra support to the crossmember for strength?

I'll have more ?'s later I'm sure.

Thanks.

1. Depends on how much you want to spend. The Volvo turbo external pump flows the same as a Walbro 255 and only cost about 10 bucks from Pull A Part. The Walbro 225 external pump is about 120 off the ebay. The biggest problem with the external pumps is when the tank is around a 1/4 it can run out in the corners. Some guys run the Z31 in tank pump, I'm never tired it myself but it is an option.

2. Not if your running a non turbo engine.

3. We don't

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Depends on how much you want to spend. The Volvo turbo external pump flows the same as a Walbro 255 and only cost about 10 bucks from Pull A Part. The Walbro 225 external pump is about 120 off the ebay. The biggest problem with the external pumps is when the tank is around a 1/4 it can run out in the corners. Some guys run the Z31 in tank pump, I'm never tired it myself but it is an option.

2. Not if your running a non turbo engine.

3. We don't

Thanks Ice.

So I found a guy with an S15, Engine only, for a good price. Any reason why I wouldn't be able to use an S15? Any fundamental differences? I never hear of people using them. I should b able to get a tranny from a guy local.

From what I have heard the S15 and S14 non turbo engines are the same. We installed a "S15" engine in Jareds car and it was exactly the same as a S14.

The biggest thing I would worry about is trying to find and ECU and wiring. It turns out that not many shops carry the non turbo ECU's.

From what I have heard the S15 and S14 non turbo engines are the same. We installed a "S15" engine in Jareds car and it was exactly the same as a S14.

The biggest thing I would worry about is trying to find and ECU and wiring. It turns out that not many shops carry the non turbo ECU's.

Sweet! When I said engine only, he told me he had the ecu and harness, so I should be ok. Just no throttle body. I think I'm gonna do it.

What about a MAF?

THANK YOU!

He told me he has everything but a TB. Since, Distributor, wires and MAF aren't shown. I'm definitely gonna double check with him before I buy.

sr20.jpg

wouldnt an s14/15 be a little more difficult to wire considering there obdII engines?

Yeah I hate hate wiring that engine. I've never been able to find a wiring diagram so I just wing it.... Every diagram I find is for the turbo engine. Which is helpful but personally I don't like wiring an engine without one. I just cut off the obd plug :D Trouble shooting EFI isn't to terribly difficult.

• 4 weeks later...
thats a nice car!!!!!!!!! wheels need to be recycled but nice looking car and deserves better wheels

Thanks!!! You got that Right! I hate those wheels and I always have. I was thinking of Panasports, only Panasports are a fortune, so maybe some Konig Rewinds or Rota RBs.

I can't see your pics, but since you went with the Datsport kit, have you decided what front struts you are going to use? You need to go to their website and get that all sorted out first, before you start buying parts that don't work with the kit. You will need a set of really positive offset wheels to get the fronts to tuck into the fenders, this can't be done with the stock 510 struts, trust me, I have been down this road! This also affects which brake calipers you are going to have to use......with this comes many many questions.....

as for the fuel pump, I used the Z31 intank set up, it is really nice and works well, easy to install if you can weld.

did you have any trouble with clearance at the back of the motor hitting the brake line restrictor block?? I moved mine to the bottom of the firewall, like they show on the datsport site, it's really close if you plan on running the heater hoses.....and ran a new lines, made a line that crossed behind the crossmember to go to the other caliper too. made for a clean engine bay.......

I can't see your pics, but since you went with the Datsport kit, have you decided what front struts you are going to use? You need to go to their website and get that all sorted out first, before you start buying parts that don't work with the kit. You will need a set of really positive offset wheels to get the fronts to tuck into the fenders, this can't be done with the stock 510 struts, trust me, I have been down this road! This also affects which brake calipers you are going to have to use......with this comes many many questions.....

as for the fuel pump, I used the Z31 intank set up, it is really nice and works well, easy to install if you can weld.

did you have any trouble with clearance at the back of the motor hitting the brake line restrictor block?? I moved mine to the bottom of the firewall, like they show on the datsport site, it's really close if you plan on running the heater hoses.....and ran a new lines, made a line that crossed behind the crossmember to go to the other caliper too. made for a clean engine bay.......

I'm going with Troy Ermish's Coil-Over kit and Wilwood brake setup. I should be fine.

I personally don't know how to weld very well, so I'm going with an external pump, Probably a walbro.

As for the brake line restrictor block, mine cleared fine, just like Icehouse said it would.

Check out my custom fabricated Collector, and Tip. All 304 Stainless steel, TIG Welded. The Muffler is a custom Can, too, I don't have a pic currently but it is regular "flowmaster" shape also made of Stainless steel and packing. No Baffles. It was designed for use on a Porsche 996 Turbo.

I can't wait to hear her scream.

Seriously Pimp Shit!!

BBILastDayExhaust014.jpg

BBILastDayExhaust021.jpg

BBILastDayExhaust022.jpg

BBILastDayExhaust023.jpg

BBILastDayExhaust028.jpg

BBILastDayExhaust027.jpg

Edited by Nines
forgot one pic