My 1971 521!

fisch

Here she is! I am so psyched to finally have a Dat! 1971 was the year my wife and I were born. Pretty cool to have a truck of the same year.

I was surprised to find a factory AC, is that normal in 1971?

Still has the AM radio, and this big black plastic speaker box on the passengers side. Has the hydraulic jack, and the little tool bag.

Only has mags for the front wheels. Wish I had two for the back. They say USA or US on the hub. Anyone know what they are. And will any 6 lug wheel fit?

Anyone have the inside of the glove box? Mine was eaten by chipmunks.

Was once a mobile oil-change company truck. Thus the little oil drop character on skates w/ the tool box.

truck3.jpg

truck4.jpg

truck2.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice score! the speaker is hard to come by so hang on to it or sell it to me:) what are your plans for it. chop & drop or stay original? most chevy 6 lugs will fit. dont get"em too wide though or it will be harder to turn. the bottle jacks are rare too. i assume you have the bar and tool in your tool bag. sounds like you got most of the goodies without trying to hunt them down.

how about a closer interior pic? other nice little things to get are the locking glove box lock, chrome interior pull handles, locking fuel door. even the cig lighter is hard to come by. i got one in mine even though i don't smoke. the antenna that takes a key is super hard to find also. one sold on ebay a couple weeks ago for $200+.

one of the best upgrades to do is put some door jam dome light switches in. it makes a bigger difference than most people would think. the 620 door dome switches will work. it takes a quick soilder connection at the dome light itself. or if you buy a new dome light on ebay the door wire is already on it just waiting to be hooked up.

original tailgate chains are fun to have also. they tend to jump off the truck though. do you have the rear bumper'etes? the ac is rare to come by. if nobody has a glove box for you i may be able to dig my spare out of my storage. what city do you live in?

More Pics! For now I might try to naturally lower the front a little. No major mods, at least for a while. There was a gray truck on Mini truckin that is a good example of what I'd like. But with different paint. If I find the link I will post it.

Has the lighter, tool bag and jack handles. Non locking gas and glove box. Original rims were in the bed. What is a keyed antenna?

Headliner is fantastic as are visors. Seat would have been perfect, except for those darn chipmunks making a nest right in the center!

I am in Belchertown MA. New England is a hard place for a Datsun fan, and I was psyched to find a body in this condition. The bed had a cap, so it is in great shape. Originally a Texas truck.

She has been garaged for 10 years, and not started. But other than carb troubles and a leaky gas tank, the owner said she ran fine before parking. I figured the risk of some engine/ brake/ clutch work was worth it for a local truck in such good shape. Plus I couldn't argue with the price. Scored her for $250+ a uhaul to get her home!

If you do get in your storage, I'd totally be interested in your glove box. Also any leads on a dash or a company that makes a nice dash cap would be great!

Scott

Interior1.jpg

Interior2.jpg

Interior3.jpg

DashControls.jpg

JackSeatback.jpg

Bed.jpg

Engine3.jpg

mascot.jpg

AC Nice! does it work?

I am not sure if the AC works. The pump turns, but the last owner never used it, and took off the belt. When I get her running I will have to give it a go.

Scott

Love the Mobil Drop logo. I'd try to keep it or maybe repro it on the new paint job.... :D

I love it too. At a minimum I could make a sticker of it for the window.

It matters whether I want to go for that old rat rod /shop truck look (which I love) Or if I want to make her a little more classy. (Which I also love.)

Scott

I wish! It just says OHC. I saw one on ebay yesterday that said 1600 though! Can you tell me if this engine visually it looks like a l16? I am not schooled enough to tell if it was upgraded or not. How can I tell?

Scott

ppeters- I see a two little flat spots on the block right behind the oil stick, but there is nothing written on them. The plate on the fire wall mentions it came with a L16. Right beneath the spark plugs is written 'Nissan Japan 210'. But I wish I could be sure of what it is.

Where is the VIN on this baby anyway?

Datsunfish- as far as I can tell that is a factory AC. It seems perfectly fit to the bottom of the dash has a perfect little notched area to go under the steering column and the unit goes from one door to the another. But I've never seen one so I am not sure!

Thanks for the help y'all,

Scott

Scott you have a nice 521 w/ a few rare options. That interior is in great shape too! The VIN # is on the pass. side of the frame in the engine bay facing up right next to the radiator & i believe also on right behind the suspension facing outwards on the pass. side.

ppeters- I see a two little flat spots on the block right behind the oil stick, but there is nothing written on them. The plate on the fire wall mentions it came with a L16. Right beneath the spark plugs is written 'Nissan Japan 210'. But I wish I could be sure of what it is.

Thanks for the help y'all,

Scott

It should be there on the front one of the two flat spots. If the blocks been painted it's covered over or filled in. The L16 and L18 visually look the same and so does the L20B(but it is about 20mm, 2/3" taller) There are some things such as emission controls, manifolds and distributors that set them apart, but these are interchangable and the best way is the stamp on the block. Take a really good look. If it isn't there, there is one other reason for this but I'm pretty sure it is.

It should be there on the front one of the two flat spots. If the blocks been painted it's covered over or filled in. The L16 and L18 visually look the same and so does the L20B(but it is about 20mm, 2/3" taller) There are some things such as emission controls, manifolds and distributors that set them apart, but these are interchangable and the best way is the stamp on the block. Take a really good look. If it isn't there, there is one other reason for this but I'm pretty sure it is.

A wire brush and some steel wool, and the L16 appeared. Thanks Mike. Out of curiosity, what would the one other reason have been for no stamp.

Scott

A wire brush and some steel wool, and the L16 appeared. Thanks Mike. Out of curiosity, what would the one other reason have been for no stamp.

Scott

An L series head can be bolted to a Z series motor. There were three sizes Z20, Z22 and Z24. Obviously a waste of time with the Z20 but the Z22 and Z24 would be an easy engine size increase. Anyway the Z series has the engine stamp on the drivers side of the block. The dip stick is also on the other side but can be moved. An L head on a Z block would be known as an LZ or a Frankenmotor.

Seriously.No one else cares that there is an under dash option there?!Not so much that I like it,just that I have never seen or heard of such a thing!Holic,step in here with some wisdom please.

It sucks that there is some damage near that oil guy logo.That is freakin cool.

Thanks guys. The damage around oil drop looks pretty minimal. A scratch and ding or two. What might look like body work in the photo is just uneven paint finish from the original masking they must have used to paint oil drop.

tnip- you are reading my mind about just clearcoating it. I love rides with old patina, and sweet interiors. However the paint is so cheap that it is flaking on the hood and roof. So I wouldn't know how to preserve that. And some rust needs to be addressed which will leave bare spots. Thought about shooting some red primer on the exposed parts, might match the paint pretty close. Hmmm...

you could always repaint the whole truck and just mask off the areas around the oil drop. i think if you make very obvious that you just kept that area original to show off the oil drop it won't look funny. like maybe paint the truck black and just leave a circular area around the oil drop the original that would look cool. or you could repaint the top half of the truck and leave the bottom original. in the end, whatever you think looks good is what's important. maybe it would just be easier to recreate the design over some newer/better paint.

• 1 month later...

It's ALIVE!!!! It's ALIVE!!!!

After 10 years of siting in the garage at previous owners, and 1 month sitting in my garage, the beast runs! YAAAAAAAAAAA!

Put in a new fuel pump & fuel filter, oil change, coolent top off, turned the Key, pulled the choke and bam, she was running! No bad noises so far (knock on wood)!

Had to share! Another Datsun is alive.