blinkers going out

lynchfourtwenty

ok so like.. im having to manually use my blinkers.. meaning click the damn handle up and down... if im at 3-4k rpms they'll work for a few seconds or so but other then that they only work for like 1 blink.. except the right one sometimes makes it to like 3 blinks bulbs are fine.. fuse is fine.. im thinking either the flasher.. and why is there 2 flasher things?? one clear plastic one and one metal one.. also thinkin MAYBE the switch?? im not sure.. thanks guys!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what i was thinkin too.. also thought maybe the alt?? i cant figure out why it works at higher rpms... i know my head lights dim if i use my brakes or they blink with the blinkers.. well not 1 at a time but both dim.. another funny thing is my wipers and heater seem to go faster at higher speeds...

2 flasher cans... one is for the hazards, the other is for the turn signals. They were originally both metal NILES cans. Plastic would be a replacement. It works at higher RPMs because the alternator is putting out more current. Very, very common problem on trucks with original 35Amp alternators. My '76 does this at idle with the headlights on. Same reason everything dims at idle. My '74 has a 200SX 60A alternator and no probs at all.

You still have a low voltage problem which will give slow wipers, heater and dim lights. Time for an alternator you can arc weld with!

No substitute for cubic inches or more amps. Good alt upgrade info:

http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4147

http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4700

Your wiring and alt. are celebrating their 30th birthday you know.

HOORAY!!! some of my wirings 29.. and some of its 30.. and some of its 31 the alt wouldnt suprise me to be origional but i doubt it is??? hmm.. could an alt really last that long?? i mean shit i know its a datsun but??

You should also check the contacts in your turn signal switch - dirty contacts can result in low voltage to the flasher. Mine were doing exactly what yours are, and the contacts turned out to be the problem - but a bigger alternator couldn't hurt!

Andrew

dude u know what.. i bet your on to something there.. the old singal switch was real dry and crap.. an then it broke.. (oopsy!) the one i got out of my friend truck was really greasy.. i figured.. hmm maybe mine was lacking grease.. but maybe the new one had to much.. or in the wrong spot or something.. i think i will take it apart and clean it like u suggested.. It Couldnt Hurt! if not then the flasher will be changed.. then alt.. then maybe the whole signal switch again.. then maybe the front fixtures.. and after i've shotg gunned a bunch of money into the problem maybe i'll get it fixed.. haha nah im sure its something silly an easy.. i hope anyway

Just buy a new one.

Dont even waist you time taking it apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usaully do the emergncy can swap to the main blinker system since I dont use my emergency flashers at all. Maybe you guys do?

The last time I used the Emergency Flashers was a guy hit a Deer and was on the road. I put my flashers ON. Everybody was standing around. I told the guys to hold the Deer and Stuck em. Pulled it ove rto the side of the road before the Cops had their Glory of klling it themselves. it was a nice Buck but had to be done. Had a broke leg

or i'll just go to the junk yard and pay like a few bucks.. i dont need a special one i just need one that works.. i bought my truck for $100 no way in hell am i payin that much for a flasher.. thanks anyways

problem solved for now anyways.. but next chance i get im gonna take the one from my friends truck that he doesnt use

the plugs for mine are identical.. the only difference is that ones a aluminum cannister.. and the others a clear plastic thing.. its a quick simple swap and i'd only say to doit if u really had to.. one is found by the fust box.. the other by the e-brake.. u can barely hear the clicking sound.. but it works!!

Of course I was just kiding about paying through the nose for a "genuine" part. You can have the NILES if you want...

Is there any difference between the Hazard and Blinker units? Yes, but I dunno what exactly is different. It seems that flashers from just about any american car late 60, 70s or 80s works -- if it has two terminals.

The original parts are thermal flashers. Now you can get more stable electronic (transistor) flashers. Or LOUD flashers to audibly annoy you until you cancel the signal.

The thermal ones are load dependent, the more lights on it, like a trailer, and the faster they flash. My Dart would stop blinking if one of the bulbs burned out and there wasn't enough current draw.

I like the electronic ones, yards are full of them and they fit...

(your back pocket)

The four way flasher might be heavier duty because it works all the lights.

ok ggzilla if u want to send it i can pay you back for shipping or whatever after the 15th, and yea the hazard flasher seems to work well.. i've had no problems.. but its silent and my left turn signal light in the dash is blown.. and i've replaced it afew times and it keeps blowing.. so i give up on it.. the right one works tho so i know its workin.. plus i did a good check on it today at burgerville and everything seems to be in order.. i would like to get it back to normal tho..