My battle with teh insurance.

So I got hit backing out of my driveway Saturday on my way to work. I backed out, fully in the lane, shifting into 1st ready to go forward...sudenly...BANG

Old man came over the blind hill and of course instead of trying to stop, he swereved into oncoming traffic and hit my driver rear corner/bumper with his passenger rear door.

P1000393.jpg

P1000395.jpg

P1000397.jpg

P1000398.jpg

So now I'm waiting to hear back from the old man's insurance (usaa). Hopefully there won't be much question as to who is at fault.

Today I learned that 35 year od Datsuns scare most collision shops. Third time was the charm, I found a guy with fond memories of these cars from early in his career. Without question he wrote me up an estimate. $1654.38 :eek::eek::eek:

Looks like I might have to battle over the cars value, and worst case scenario they'll tell me it's work $1500 and they'll sel it back for $300. I still get over $1k but I'd have to deal with the paperwork on the title.

Thebest part: I can still drive it just fine, and as far as I'm cncearned it just adds character.

I'll keep you all updated

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddies " blue wagon" got rearended yesterday. It was so bad the rear doors don't open! So he is in the insurance deal right now. I have 10k worth of receats, hopefully that helps :)

I dealt with this recently also. I got rear ended in my 620. Insurance wanted to value my truck at about $500 dollars, and total it. Totalled title is no big deal to me on an old vehicle. I questioned the process for valuing the truck and they said that i couldprovide them with local ads w/pics and owners info to help increase the value of my truck. It worked very well and they did not fight it at all. I ended up with them valuing the truck at about $1175. I got $1067 after i bought it back. Sure it is only a $700 dollar difference, but it is the thought that they are screwing us monthly on our premiums, and a small change payout for them to have me off their backs.

Jason

I have "Ol Yeller" insured thru Hagerty Insurance..(Collector car type insurance), valued at 7k...the premium is only 156 bucks a year!..I have the mileage quote (yearly miles driven) at 6000 miles.......they don't know it is a daily driver...but, I do only put about 6k on it a year...my commute is short... you guys could check into an insurance like that...they will work with you on the supposed value...(Allstate and AAA told me the truck was worth only 500 bucks too...........Allstate recommended Hagerty to me)

• 2 weeks later...

okay so today I got a message from My insurance's adjuster. I guess the guy decided to not make a claim against my insurance (probably because he knows it won't go well).

now I might be totally fucked. I don't have collision coverage so without that and without the claim being made against me, I'm stuck making a claim against them.

So I have to battle USAA without any help...GRRR. My adjuster suggested settling for 50% if I have to. It sounds like that might even be a little optimistic.

So back to trying to get a hold of the adjuster that didn't call me back for a week, and when he did he simply said "the liability rests on you......thats why I didn't call"

when this is over, I'm putting full coverage on this damn car!

Fix it, then get a shop to give you a receipt for work done. :D

...small claims court limit is $2500 now I believe

wOw! here its $7500.

my quote for the wagon is for $7547 :D

as for the 50%, get the quote doubled (& get 2 or 3!) so 50% covers it. dont let em get away with it.