"new" truck, 1968 521, few questions

Hey

New to this forum, some of you might know me from SSM and other forums (iLLblazer) on most.

I just picked up a 1968 521 which I hope to turn into a bagged and bodydropped shop truck.

The truck hasnt run in 7 years so I'm just wondering what I should do before I even start trying to turn it over? Plan to change fluids, flush rad, not sure what else? I'm pretty good with chassis and suspension stuff so I'm not worried about that end of things, but I havent done much with engine work and I'm not familiar with these trucks at all...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK well I got some work done on this thing today. Interior was gross so I threw out the seat and carpet. Floor is solid aside from 1 hole on each side near the rocker beside the seat.

This truck looks pretty rough compared to a lot on them on here, but where I live, this thing is in nicer shape than a lot of early 90s trucks. Definitely the nicest old school truck I've come across. The rockers are shot but other than that its just surface rust and dents.

I had a look underneath and noticed the engine sitting a bit crooked, and the center link almost touching the pan. So I checked to see if a motor mount was busted, and it looks like someone has butched some different motor mounts in place, just behind the factory ones. Rad brackets and lower hose are definitely not factory so i'm thinking this may not be the factory motor. I snapped some pics so hopefully someone can help me ID it, or show me where to look for #s to ID it...

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01269.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01265.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

Edited by MindlissMetalfab

Passenger side, nearest the firewall...theres a flat surface top of block before the head. The block ID is stamped in. should read L(16/18/20b)

Head stamped on same side near the more forward part of the truck at the bottom of the head.. Should be a letter and 2 numbers W58, etc.

Since thats a really rough swap, theres a likely hood that other parts have been 'roughed' too. That wiring looks hokey and Im fairly certain none of the 520/521's ever had the coil mounted up there.

Edited by Hyphy
Passenger side, nearest the firewall...theres a flat surface top of block before the head. The block ID is stamped in. should read L(16/18/20b)

Head stamped on same side near the more forward part of the truck at the bottom of the head.. Should be a letter and 2 numbers W58, etc.

Since thats a really rough swap, theres a likely hood that other parts have been 'roughed' too. That wiring looks hokey and Im fairly certain none of the 520/521's ever had the coil mounted up there.

Yeah once I can determine where the motor is from, I'll probably just find a wiring diagram for it and pull all the current wiring out and start fresh.

This the number you mean towards the front?? DSC01283.jpg

I'm new to the Datsun trucks but I've owned a 240Z for some time and have done lots of research on Datsun heads, looks like you have an A87 head, one of the better heads available for the 4 cylinder L series engines. http://olddatsuns.com/html/tech/head_ID_2.htm <--That link has some good info on Datsun heads.

Edited by Mr.Woof's72z

welcome. i recognized the name as i used to visit SSM quite a bit. luckily the l series motor that you have is one of the most commonly used datsun motors so itll be a lot easier to find parts than the j series that came stock in that truck. those motors came in 620s, 510s, and a lot of other vehicles. it just depends on what liter the motor is, like that other guy said, look for an l16,l18, or l20 on the block to be sure. a lot of parts are interchangable between those sizes too. cant wait to see what you do with it.

Welcome aboard man..you will find plenty of helpful hints, good suggestions, tricks, tips, stories, pictures and an occasional

"make-fun-of-that-guy-cause-he-didn't-use-the-search-menu-option":lol:

Sweet looking ride. From the looks of the metal fab you are doing on the frame near the bed (leaning up against the wall) you should have no problem making all the mistakes made to your 521 better.

Look forward to more pics.:D

Didnt get a whole lot done the last couple days, spent the majority of my time hunting for a toyota parts truck, but the datsun is all stripped down and on the table.

Anyone need stock front end parts?

DSC01288.jpg

Haggard motor mounts:

DSC01296.jpg

On the table. need to make some adjustments to the crossmembers since the last thing on the table was a crew cab dually.

DSC01292.jpg

Well spent a good chunk of this week running to the other end of the city where all the auto wreckers are to try to find a toyota for parts. Finally found 1 and left a deposit (had to buy the whole truck) but it was too wet on the yard to get the truck out.

Then i lucked out and found a private yard about 10 mins from my shop with a goldmine of toyota parts. Guy let me drive my truck in with my torches and cut out what I needed, so I didnt have to piss around stripping a whole truck. Motor and front sheetmetal where out so me and a buddy got the front clip out pretty quick. I also got my deposit back on the other truck.

DSC01298.jpg

I also cut the rear end loose, but it was frozen into about 4" of ice so I have to go back for that later.

One of my next customers is working on practicing his rendering skills so he did up a freebie of the datsun for me. It wont have those mirrors and I'm still undecided on the wheel color but it gives a good diea.

DatsunSmall.jpg

Edited by MindlissMetalfab
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah...great job! Lookin forward to an update!:cool: Purple is gonna look great too...just a little splash of orange...mango maybe... or light, soft green striping on that body color would just bounce off like lazer beams! Same treatment to the rims and...well...:blink:whatever color...that's awesome man!:D

Thanks guys. My steel ended up being a bit late, but it will be here tomorrow. I got my bandsaw today though so it worked out OK in the long run. Hoping to start laying out the front half of the chassis this weekend but we'll see, as I'm also trying to finish up a bedfloor I'm working on, and gotta get back to working on the dually as well. Never have time for my own projects.