instrumentation bulbs?

bonvo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toshiba bulbs but Philips also makes them for the N A market I believe. Yes, they are pathetic and replacing them with higher wattagw might help but they will likely burn out faster?

Try LEDs but beware they can be too bright and I don't think you can dim an LED.

yes toshiba made them. i even found some toshibas in my 87 Jeep. kinda weird...

i have been thinking about LEDs in my 620 for a while now. especially since the dash lights SUCK. but then again running 194s instead of 168s might help a bit. yes they are interchangeable. i have a 168 in the dash of my jeep and i can tell you EXACTLY which one it is. its teh dimmer of the bunch of lights. hell i want to run em in ALL my lights except the headlights. that i want H4s with silverstars. or Euro smileys with HIDS.

I converted my 610 dash to led's. I'll take a pic of the led's I used.

They went from that crappy standard greenish colour to a sort of blue tinge (not sure why the blue tinge as I used normal clear led's).

If you type in dash wedge bulbs into ebay you'll find plenty of options.

who made theoriginal bulbs i the gadge cluster? i have mine out right now and all the bulbs say toshiba are these the originals?

also i found this website

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

im going to replace all the bulbs with leds what do you guys think?

Congratulations. You have original bulbs. Now archive them for safe keeping and do what I did:

Remove all of the screws on the back of the cluster. This will split the cluster in two pieces, the gauges are attached to the circuit board. Next (CAREFULLY!!!!) snap off the little green domes that make the white light green for the cluster off of the circuit board. These diffusers have paint in them to prevent too much light from going all over (they never really light anything up anyway...) Reassemble the cluster and you can use any color you want in the dash. Don't forget to replace your warning lights in the dash with new 194s, this would be the best time to do that.

Also, for added effect, get some red light diffusing plastic material and remove the green "arrows" on the dash cluster (PITA!!!, but worth the look!) and place the red material so you have red arrows for the turn signal indicators as well. Just a thought...

The red lights will be a nice addition, and I know that if you were closer to Christmas, a lot of low-voltage apps use red 194 bulbs and you could get them for a song at after Christmas sales and have a bunch on stand by. The LEDs are nice, (BTW: pl521sss those are hella nice!!! Are they dimmable? & Where did you get them??) but the red against the grey/white combo '73 gauges might not give you the effect you are looking for. Food for thought.

good ideas william im gonna replace all the bulbs eith led's im replacing the warning lights with red leds the turn signals with green they highbeam with blue i like the red idea but im not 100% on it so the last for that light the gadges are up in the air atm

good ideas william im gonna replace all the bulbs eith led's im replacing the warning lights with red leds the turn signals with green they highbeam with blue i like the red idea but im not 100% on it so the last for that light the gadges are up in the air atm

it will be overkill

LED's are very bright

Specially if your replacing the warningindicator bulbs.

If you look at the work I did, it only requires 2 LED to light up the instrument panel. I would guess there's 4 in your 610 not including the indicator bulbs.

Your dash so you can put as many LED's you want.

Just my opinion

Also something to keep in mind with regards to your desired outcome... a large majority of LEDs that are manufacture, let alone the cheaper ones that get used for average use, have a smaller angle of dispursion. Meaning that the light emitted will be more like a spot light in those tight conditions than a flood like an incandesant lamp. If you look at pl521sss' image, youl notice the 'hot spots' of light. Most often theres a diffuser of some kind used to counter this.

I recently replaced the cluster lights in my tacoma work truck. They had Orange coloring sleeves on them and i know most late model pontiacs have red interior lightin. You might look into getting a set of those bulb covers and stickin with standards bulbs. This would get you red lighting at a much more effective diffusion.

Tho, as stated, you would definitely wanna swap out any green crap for turn signals. Thatd just look wierd..