410/411 disc brake mod

mklotz70

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd easily have these out of my way on monday. Not much went as planned. :(

So, the chuck marks in the seal surface of the bearing spacers was bugging me. So...I made an adapter and fixed :)

th_100_5464.jpg

100_0951.jpg

I was also bugged by the cotter pin situation. The tolerance is so tight with the bearing spacer pusing the whole hub out, you have to get a bit creative when putting the cotter pin in. I solved that by getting new spindle nuts. If you need anymore clearance, you're going to have to use a cut off wheel to deepen the slots a bit, a hand file should work. The dang new camera is now having the same prob as the old....the last pic is not saved right....only top half....jpeg error...man I'm getting sick of cheap cameras!!! Anyway...no last pic of the pin with the new nut and this old nut is a bit irritated :(

100_0944.jpg

100_0947.jpg

100_0957a.jpg

Also.....

In my mock ups, I realized that with the steering arm ground a bit for the bolt to pass by, there's no reason the stock lock washer can't be used. So, that made the bolts too short and I had to go get new bolts. The dang things ain't cheap!!! I'm leaving the loctite in, even though it won't be needed.

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad to see you joined up here!! Sweet!!

Start a build thread on your rig with pics of the brake install :)

I already have your name on the box. I'll try to check paypal during the day from work..it's a no-no.....if it's there before I get off, I'll send it out after work..otherwise, it will go out tues :) Thanks!!

I think the kit will need to sit for a couple months still.

I managed to mess myself up pretty bad in October, breaking

my arm hip, and 5 bones in my back! But just as soon as the doc gives

met the all clear, I'm all over this.

:D:D:D

where are you?? some of us might come give you a hand :eek::)

• 3 weeks later...

These cars are so rare, there's no way I'm going to do another "batch" of brake kits. If someone wants to custom order a one-off set, I will do it, but the price will be $325 (paid for before I start) because it's a real PITA to mess with just one set at a time. There will also be a 1 month lead time since I will have to order the brackets and I'm going to be real busy with other projects.

• 2 weeks later...
what a cheap bastard you are. why dont't you call KFC and ask for the recipe so some girl you know can make you some chicken. everything you need has been posted. at 5 bucks an hour there is no way anybody could make the kit cheaper. at current machine shop rates forget it

Sorry! not cheep just poor, I should ask my x-wife for them scince she gets all my money

robslow....I've pm'd you twice now and you've not responded.

For all the other 411 owners out there....I figured since I was making another kit for someone else, I'd do up a couple more. I have everything but the brackets right now. As soon as they come in(about a week?), I'll weld them up, mill them, sell them. Maybe a couple of the guys that said they'd buy them last time will do so this time :) These will probably be the last 411 sets I do for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

These cars are so rare, there's no way I'm going to do another "batch" of brake kits. If someone wants to custom order a one-off set, I will do it, but the price will be $325 (paid for before I start) because it's a real PITA to mess with just one set at a time. There will also be a 1 month lead time since I will have to order the brackets and I'm going to be real busy with other projects.

...well..as it turns out, I ended up making 2 extra kits at the same time, so I'll be putting them up soon for the $270(+$15 shipping=$285 total). I've just got a bit of clean up grinding to do.

I'm not sure I'll do this, but I've been wondering if anyone would be interested in a "do-it-yourself"(diy) kit. Basically, I'd drill some holes in the brackets so they could be easily aligned and then include the bearing adapters. All the nuts/bolts/hardware and such would be up to the buyer. Sell for about $125 shipped(in the states).

Another possibility for the hardcore DIY'er....the bearing adapters with 2 prints to use as templates to cut their own brackets. Maybe $50 shipped?

Not sure I'll go that route, just thought I'd check interest. Considering similar options for the truck kits too.

• 2 months later...