410/411 disc brake mod

mklotz70

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same...$285(shipped in US).  The lead time is just longer since I'll order the laser cut parts after an order is placed.  The bearing spacer is the same as the roadster kit and I have those on hand right now.  I was going to raise the price for one offs, but since I don't have to machine the spacer, it's not that big of a deal to weld up the brackets since I have the jig built.

Got a second fb notice......pic was at the end of that link.

Dang, that was some time ago.  I'm pretty sure that was a water jet set.  There was another set of ears with them and a set of 4 small discs for bracket spacers that I machined manually.  They will work, but it puts the clearance to the tierod nut really close.  I would think that they'd probably work without the bracket spacers(small discs), but you'd need the bearing spacers.  I'm not positive about the ears clearing on those without the discs. 

I may be ordering some more brackets from the laser cutter in the next week or so.  I've got several people interested and I've been waiting for at least one of them to place an order so I can use that money for the brackets.  I may keep waiting.  If no one wants them bad enough to order a set, I'm afraid they still won't order after I lay the money out....been there done that......tired of it.

If I decide not to do any more, I'll post the CAD art on my site.

yep...sorry.  I think at some point there was hope that those could be salvaged/modified to work.  They might if they're used with the bearing spacer.

I just need someone to buy a set so I can submit the order to have more cut.  I already have the bearing spacers.

• 1 month later...

I kinda feel like I've hogged the 3D Modeling thread, so I think I'll just put this here for the enjoyment of the 411 owners. 

I've been wanting to redo the bracket design for awhile.  The old one needed a couple of tweaks anyway.  I'm also changing up the truck design too.  In the truck design, I'm trying to switch to a plug welded tab to make the welding way easier.  I figured I might as well try to design this bracket to use the same tab. Anyway......I saved some images along the way as I was designing....thought I'd share.  These first ones are a quick model of the spindle.....at these the parts of the spindle that I needed to reference.  I also took some vid of how I measured the spindle....but I haven't uploaded it yet. 

spindlemockup.jpg

spindlemockup2.jpg

spindlemockup3.jpg

spindlemockup4.jpg

So I started with a bigger flat piece than needed and did a bit of assembly with it, the tabs and the spindle.  I was able to check the clearance of the tab to the spindle from within CAD.  Trying to make the bracket a bit more compact than the original.  I won't explain each step, they're just a couple of sample shots as I was going along.  Oh....I put the holes in the main plate for easy referencing while designing, but they will either have to be eliminated in the final design, or I'll have to put a 1/4" tall plug in the center, then weld both sides.  If there's no hole in the main plate, I can just plug weld from the tab side.  From the research I've done, the 3/4" hole is the right size for 3/8" plate........but I welcome other opinions on this before I actually have them cut.

brktmockup.jpg

brktmockup2.jpg

brktmockup3.jpg

brktmockup4.jpg

brktmockup5.jpg

brktmockup6.jpg

brktmockup7.jpg

• 11 months later...

Thanks Bluehands! I ordered my rotors and calipers last night. I was going to take hub and rotor to local machine shop and see what they thought would be the easiest fix... Not planning on putting thousand of miles on her and burning through rotors fast... But if they can machine hub I see the ease of fitting stock rotors in the future.

You'll be hard pressed to wear the rotors out in the next 10 years with moderate driving.  I talked to Doug(wagon it was designed for) after a year or more and he said he couldn't see any wear......and he was driving the heck out of it.....trips to Canada and back!

Always better to modify the hard part if possible.  It's not that convenient to do the hubs since most guys can't find a shop to do it.

I'm going to borrow a hub and look at the rotor/hub fit again......but that won't be until the weekend.

I think the hub I have here is actually a 310 drum hub.

Thanks!  They're getting there.  I've got hardware on hand for a few kits.  Guess I'll have to look and see what I need for the rest of them.  Once all of the brackets in the shop are finished, I'll send them to the plater for the black zinc.  Any that get ordered/shipped prior to that will be sandblasted.  Hopefully, this weekend will allow for some good progress!

I'm contemplating making a rear disc bracket for my 410. It will be like the Beebani truck bracket, but instead of using Isuzu 6-hole rotors and calipers, I want to use 1985 mazda RX-7 rotors and calipers. Does anyone know of any problems with this setup? Besides having to machine hub/rotor and being creative with parking brake linkage..