Project Buzz II- 1978 KC

620mike

waiting for parts (driveshaft and steering link) im going to be finishing up all the little stuff this week hoprfully if the weather lets me..... was hoping to get it done sooner but i was taking care of go kart stuff all weekend. so my plan for the test drive is sat it should be enough time to finish the liitle stuff and get the parts in.... wish me luck:D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can get it apart with a regular hammer as long as you hit the side of the linkage that the tierod end goes threw not the tirod itself you will mushroom it if you hit it from the top

that is a nice steering arm

here is the steering link (credit to Beebani, great job worth the wait) but i cant seem to bet the old joints out...

steringlink.jpg

i have a huge problem with the way that bar is bent. For one nothing on your steering should be bent, you will see a slight curve im some but that's about it, what is stopping it from bending further?...Also the type of bend, if it was a nice manderal bend that's one thing but with the kink there i have a feeling that after a while it will further bend and/crack and that's not good especially when driving :eek: may want to make this out of a solid piece of steel or maybe make some triangle braces. I know i wouldn't be happy with that on my truck.

Edited by bagged_datsun

Ya i dont think ill be doing any very hard turns on this anyway, this isnt a rock crawler and even if i had to put some type of gusset on the bends im still happy with the design. a simillar design was on beebanis truck and im sure its still working for who ever has his truck now... iv had nothing but complements on this link...... but thats your oppinion we will seee if it lasts...(and im pretty sure it will)

really???

I never get tired of the armchair engineers on this forum.

If Mike breaks the 3/4" OD pipe with the marginal amount of bump steer these trucks have, then he has way more problems then the steering link.

uhh i don't car if it has a 3" OD that still has no say on how strong it is now maybe if it was 3/4 wall that's a different story, but if it was it would not have bent like that :mellow: and if you really did just use a 3/4 pipe then i would looking bigger and better things like say ......some DOM tubing :fu:

oh yeah and i do work/co own a fab shop for rock crawlers non the less.

Edited by bagged_datsun
uhh i don't car if it has a 3" OD that still has no say on how strong it is now maybe if it was 3/4 wall that's a different story, but if it was it would not have bent like that :mellow: and if you really did just use a 3/4 pipe then i would looking bigger and better things like say ......some DOM tubing :fu:

oh yeah and i do work/co own a fab shop for rock crawlers non the less.

like i said its not a rock crawler and.... there is no major amount of stress, like a rock crawler, i own one also and iv done stuff that people said wouldnt work also, and it has lasted so i dont mind trying new stuff..... there is no doubt in my mind that this thing will last a good long while.... i apperciate the concern though.. and now ill move on to finishing my truck thanks:D

Well no wonder, yes, I would use DOM on what you're building. But considering the stock steering arm is 1/2" solid round (at best), I've significantly strengthed it by using almost 1" OD pipe.(0.840")

The bend is very slight (42 degrees) and didn't damage the side wall as much as it looks in the pics. Here's a little info for you also, just to clarify the similiarities between the 2 types of pipe.

Material ------------------------------------------------------Yield Strength (psi)

ASTM Grade 53 Pipe ----------------------------------------------- 30,000

1020 ERW tube (more commonly known as HREW) --------------------40,000

1020 DOM ----------------------------------------------------------70,000

4130 Cr-Mo ---------------------------------------------------------90,000

4340 Cr-Mo ---------------------------------------------------------120,000

My chart actually shows the A53 (which is what I used) as being 40000 psi tensile strength.

Edited by BEEBANI
oops

well besides all the bull shit i got the street test done tonight and my tape measure allignment is awsome and it handles pretty good didnt run it long enough to kick the fan on though im having my buddy follow me up to the muffler shop to get my exhast done tomorrow and that will be the real test ill let u guys know how it goes ...somthing is bound to go wrong though:fu: