shady's shop

SHADY280

the hole thing goes like this. shady wants a shop, hes got a little 1 car garage in back. so he goes to city hall and discusses the issue with a site survey in hand. they say no problem. cool, get plans drawn up by a proper ticketed draftsperson. give plans to city. they say o.k, but get the foundation and beams engineered and we will o.k it. cool, so plans are now engineered. give back to city, city installs sacred good to go stamp. shady spends 10,000 to date getting to forms for concrete and first inspection, before concrete pour. city comes by and says hey, you cant do that its too close to the property line. umm you said it was o.k. talks with inpector, he says o.k finnally and admits city made mistake stamping plans. takes back to office, boss catches wind, stops project again. shady gets 2 lawyers that work for a board of review that states the city cant do that. also finds out that if city wants building moved, they pay the moving, plus then there is a hydro pole in the way and its gonna cost 30,000 to move it, add another pole and change 3 other homes service. still waiting. :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the dwg's were about 450, the engineering was suposed to be 1000, but they lost the drawings, then gave them to some random contractor, then i got them back, so they gave me them for 420. whats cost the most is tieing into this existing structure. if it wasnt for that i woulda saved about 3000. maybe more. sucks that now they say that they basically didnt want me to tie into it, i coulda saved big money. this shop was supposed to be done for xmas!!!

well the city is holding their ground, no matter what, they are saying ive taken too much of the original existing structure. so the laywers said move it, then we will sue and get more than what the garage is worth. the only dumb part now is my door will go from 16' down to no smaller than 12'. that power pole is in the way, and ill have to flip the bill for the first 4k, then the city would have to pay the other 25k. im not going to bother with that incase i dont win. lawyers do lose sometimes. my contractor on the other hand has really stepped up. i have a kid on the way in 3 months, and cant afford the shop in the first place, so he has said he will organize a free work party of family and friends, and knock more of his costs down to help out. thats why i use friends for payed work, such a nice guy. plus im going to contact the local paper once the legal stuff is going on just to let the community know how the city really is, and what its going to cost the tax payer. what a gong show, shows what being prepared gets you.

Ah, the old 60/40 rule. Fuckers. Wish I could say I never been through stuff like this before, but I have already seen this movie. I got chapters in my book ready to write a screen play.

I have dealt with so many inspectors and building departments in so many different cities and counties. Almost with out exception, they are all guys that tried to be contractors but couldn't cut it, so they got a safe easy job with good benefits and lots of paid holidays. They get a little sniff of power and turn into gods.

It's the dong show. They want to show you they have a bigger one than you do. It is a tough call sometimes. You got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. When you get into a pissing contest usually all that happens is that everyone gets pissed on.

Forge ahead and keep us posted. I'm sending you good energy on this.

ps, yeah, the paper, but do you have a local TV news department with a consumer segment. We got this 7 on your side that produces short clips situations where reporters get involved in situations. Isn't there a variance procedure at the city or county board of supervisors or are you just out of time?

Edited by Figbuck
the hole thing goes like this. shady wants a shop, hes got a little 1 car garage in back. so he goes to city hall and discusses the issue with a site survey in hand. they say no problem. cool, get plans drawn up by a proper ticketed draftsperson. give plans to city. they say o.k, but get the foundation and beams engineered and we will o.k it. cool, so plans are now engineered. give back to city, city installs sacred good to go stamp. shady spends 10,000 to date getting to forms for concrete and first inspection, before concrete pour. city comes by and says hey, you cant do that its too close to the property line. umm you said it was o.k. talks with inpector, he says o.k finnally and admits city made mistake stamping plans. takes back to office, boss catches wind, stops project again. shady gets 2 lawyers that work for a board of review that states the city cant do that. also finds out that if city wants building moved, they pay the moving, plus then there is a hydro pole in the way and its gonna cost 30,000 to move it, add another pole and change 3 other homes service. still waiting. :(

O Canada! Our home and native land! :lol:

In my dealing with my city. I found on 2 of 3 occasion that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I paid less in the end on all three building projects after the work was done than if I had done the proper steps in the begining. The one a car port in the back yard not visable from the street I had to tear down and rebuild cause i was 2 inches off code. Damnit forgot to add the one 2x4 in the middle. Oh well.

I really hope this all works out for you in the end. I would love to have a covered area like that for my toys.

well they poured the concrete yesterday, yes its finally to that stage, 33" narrower tho, not what i wanted, but still my own space. this weekend im pulling the forms off and gonna get ready for the drain tile and backfill after another lovely city inspection. pix to come

here is the current stage of the project, no backfill or drain tile, but ive done the foam inside and sealcoat around the outside. hopefully backfilled monday if it passes draintile inspection, contractor should have the walls up by friday and the roof almost done

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

You could so fit a lift in there if you really wanted too. A standard 2 tower may be tight but there are options. That's not exactly tiny, high roof too.

I say that because there is such convenience with it, for all the trouble you have gone through you should maximize the enjoyment. My opinion. :D

yeah there is still room, and the ceiling is maximized for that reason. im thinking those roll around ones, they plug in the wall and arent as wide, and can be moved to wherever. unfort. with all the new costs itll be a little while before i can afford one. im currently 8000 over budjet on this somewhat small project :( the other side is a storage floor, low ceiling, but itll hold all my datto parts nicely.

Looking great so far!

Good luck with finishing it, looks like a nice home for your vehicles.;)

It sucks that you have to get a permit and follow all the city regulations when building it though. It's on your own freaking property, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want!! My dad and I built a 2 story storage building on our property and the city wasn't involved at all. We could probably get sued out the ass for having it though. :/

Edited by Weaver
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I dont know about your area but over here we tell the inspector that its a AG building they dont require as much per city codes and then when the city is all done with their inspection we go back and finish all the extras lol

we have a sticker on our work truck it says

Arguing with a inspector is like wrestling with a pig

It fun until you realize they like it"

oh yea i build shops for a living