WTF is this thing?!? Easy for all of you I know.....

Llittle_Llama

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe an 810? If so, a lot of those came with an L24 i think.

Shit man RWD 2.4L 5spd...

Go check it out- you may not want to swap much to your truck, but there's some Dat-head that wants that thing!

Offer him a grand. :o

trade him an auto Saturn ahaha....

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105

so would the motor be of any use to me? I was thinking about offering 500 for it and driving it for a few weeks and then stripping it..... would like another motor to rebuild and swap into the 620. maybe even restore this thing if it's kinda rare and fun :D what do you all think of it?

Nothing wrong with that car. HL510 in '79 has the L20B and short tail 5 speed goofy shift (1st gear where reverse is) Nothing wrong with the short tail, fits in 510 without shortening driveline. That's what I have in the rally car, I grabbed it out of a station wagon 79 HL510.

The only bad thing about the HL510 is it's not a PL, and it has a solid axle rear. Depending on what you're using it for, that might not be a bad thing. Better for drag racing for instance.

And sadly enough, the chassis is actually more structurally sound than the PL510. It's just everywhere other than the US got the rear independent suspension like the original 510. I'd pick it up.

You know, I'm actually confused. All I ever identified the later 510s as were HL510s, just like the 620s changed from PL to HL. I didn't think the chassis mattered that much because it was the same? I think the one shown is the earlier after PL510 as it looks better than the hideous 80s model with the z motor.

Right off the bat all 810s are ugly, picking on the 80's gen isn't fair lol. :lol:

Idk if I would call it a z engine, the only thing they share is the displacement and cylinder count(I refer to the l24e found in 810s). The block, pistons, head etc are all different (casting, comp, etc...)and the engine as a whole is close to worthless, ESP with that gross fuel injection. The head is the only thing of value, and barely at that. A n47(nm47) with closed chamber, people use it as a high comp head on l28s because its more available then the e31's and the valves are slightly larger, all be it still ridiculously small.

The ugly 810's came diesel though and they imo kick ass. As ugly as they were I would take a 5 speed diesel 810 in a heart beat. Even broke down the block makes for a rpm motor due to the height difference and the crank makes for a stroker motor. The rear outer companion flanges allow you to bolt up cvs on a s30 with no adapter, plus the cvs themselves. Nice low ratio r200's for v8 folk as well. Lots of goodies on the diesel 810s, the other models are scrap far as I'm concerned.

WOW! It's pretty cool seeing all the different thoughts on this one car! I will be going to dallas and I have emailed the guy making an pretty low offer and arranging a time to see it. I will get some new (ie. GOOD) pictures and load them and if it looks good enough I might pick it up to drive when I bag the 620 in a week ;) ........but seriously, I need something to drive to AZ since the 620 is slammed in the rear and not driveable (I know I can just raise it up, but i just don't want to drive it out there to be honest.

If its a good driver then $500-600 would be ok to pay if you're going to get use out of it.

Rearend, brakes, and engine are nothing special. You won't even get $400 parting it out.

Front struts could probably be used on a 510, but they are slightly smaller (very minimal) than the 280ZX brakes and pads would be harder to find.

Buy it cheap, drift it into a tree. (don't forget your helmet!)