Rotary

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I response to the linked thread, the rotaries have gotten a bad reputation for the wrong reasons.

A well maintained rotary will go almost as long as a piston engine without rebuild. The problem comes with people racing them, modifying them, or boosting them too much. The last gen RX-7 got a bad rap for blowing apex seals because everyone wants to crank up the boost. My 85' stocker had 150k on it before I sold it, and ran great.

As for learning about the mechanics, they only have 3 large moving parts. The crank and the two rotors. So there's not much to learn about.

Mazda's Wankle rotary should be considered a small block V8. If the drive train couldn't handle a V8, then stop. In Japan drivers had no problems with life span and reliability. Why? Because they read and followed the instructions. Check the water and oil level every morning and top up before starting. Long life and great performance.

i have a few beefs with rotories for one they have no touque for two its designed to burn its own oil its basicly a 2 stroke motor horrible emmisons and definatly not for someone who cant check there own oil

No torque? The older stock ones had a huge flat torque curve, feels like a mini-V8. Also 'horrible emissions'? Mazda's rotary was the first to meet the 1976 emission requirements -- beating piston engines by three years! The 2006 rotary meets today's tough emission control requirements.

Nissan liked them so much, they built their own, and magazines test drove them. But during the 1973/1974 oil shock and resulting high fuel prices, people didn't want to buy a 150HP economy car. So Nissan scrapped the plan.

Rotarys are expensive to build/rebuild now as compared to an L series Datsun motor.

And yeah, torque does suffer. Low rpm is not where the 13b is going to have fun. Unless you're driving the 521 at 7-8 grand all day, it's not all that practical.

Not that I don't like rotarys, I just don't see putting them in a pickup unless you're planning on racing the pickup. And a 521 doesn't seem like a good choice for a race vehicle.

EDIT: I just KNOW someone would have said something if I didn't mention the rotary Ford Couriers/Mazda pickups. My point still stands. You don't haul a half ton of gravel with a rotary pickup for the most part.

Edited by HRH

Several tears ago when I was just a lad I was helping my dad launch a boat and there was a jet boat launched just ahead of us. It had a big graphic on the side saying it was powered with a rotary engine. This was back in the day when they were relatively new to the scene. It was quite a screamer and years later when I had reached the age of enlightenment I pondered the application and I couldn't think of a better choice for a boat what with the RPMs and smoothness of the engine. Oh well, just rambling, sorry to take up your time.

Rotarys are fine. The bad rep is spread by the uninformed. They need to be maintained like all the others. A carbed 12a would be a simpler swap but a 13b would be more trouble free in the long run due to EFI. They run smooth as glass, make linear power due to broad torque curve, and get decent mileage. It would be a good match for your rearend. You don't have to drive them around at 7-8000rpm. I would definitely use the Mazda 5-speed over the POS 521 4-speed. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Don't start the swap until you have planned EVERY step start to finish. You might want to hit the car lots to audition the different models/years so you know what to expect and are sure what donor car to look for. Good luck.

Edited by DRIVEN
?
Guest jaimesix

Then rotary engine is an excellent engine. It is misunderstood. Most people that talk bad about it never had one, or bought a bad rotary engine and made the wrong conclusion.

The rotary engine is so great, it was banned from the hours of Le Mans after its last win ( and the only japanese brand ever winning at Le Mans ) because piston engines could not compete with it.

The actual 2 rotor Mazda RX8 is only a 1300 cc, naturaly aspirated. Todays Nissan 370Z is a 3700 cc. Imagine a 3700cc rotary engine......

a 3 rotor, an awesome engine ( 20B ) is only 2100cc. Mazda is the only company that mastered production of rotary engines ( most other brands worked on it unsuccesfuly )

I have nothing but praise for this engine, it is another form of combustion powerplant, I wish other brands would master it, imagine having different brands of rotaries.

To those that say no, read a book on rotary engines and then decide.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

i am swapping a 12a rotary into my nl320 pretty soon. i went with a 12a because of the simplicity of being carbed. i will be getting a sidedraft for it and already have a racing beat header. torque isnt really too much of an issue for me because i wont be hauling anything at all with it. i will be starting it pretty soon after i get my 720 going and will be taking a lot of pictures of the swap.

Guest jaimesix
Then rotary engine is an excellent engine. It is misunderstood. Most people that talk bad about it never had one, or bought a bad rotary engine and made the wrong conclusion.

The rotary engine is so great, it was banned from the hours of Le Mans after its last win ( and the only japanese brand ever winning at Le Mans ) because piston engines could not compete with it.

The actual 2 rotor Mazda RX8 is only a 1300 cc, naturaly aspirated. Todays Nissan 370Z is a 3700 cc. Imagine a 3700cc rotary engine......

a 3 rotor, an awesome engine ( 20B ) is only 2100cc. Mazda is the only company that mastered production of rotary engines ( most other brands worked on it unsuccesfuly )

I have nothing but praise for this engine, it is another form of combustion powerplant, I wish other brands would master it, imagine having different brands of rotaries.

To those that say no, read a book on rotary engines and then decide.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

I stand corrected. I just verified my information ( the winning Mazda RX8 with a 20B engine, last years 08 Daytona Rolex ). The 3 rotor factory 400 HP engine is only 1950 cc.

Imagine that.

A rotary engine that would have 3700ccs like the current 370Z would have to be a 5 or 5 rotor engine.....at a probable torque of 700/800 lbs!!!:eek:

Guest jaimesix
had two(GF's really) RX-7's, neither were all that impressive.

rotary_engine.jpg

No engine is made to be impresive. The marvel in the rotary engine thing is that it is an unconventional engine, no pistons, no many parts, it is new technology, and as such it is a new horizon for us human beings.

I see no war between piston and rotary....it is two different technologies for us to embrace and enjoy!

Jaime_____________________________________________________