fuel problems - need help ASAP

Skib

:: L26 with 4 screw round top SU's ::

After swapping in the 280z tank in prep for the turbo swap i never "got around" to wiring up the sender ( =no gas gauge)

and well.... you guessed it, I ran out of gas. :blush:

After filling it with about 5 gallons it still woulnt start, just sitting there cranking. I have a clear fuel filter and there wasnt any gas coming up into the filter. so I disconnected the filter, changed the filter element and disconnected the line at the tank and blew compressed air threw the line at about 100-120PSI and nothing came out and there was good strong airflow coming out the other end, and I had to plug the tank end with a finger or gas pours out (so its not clogged at the tank)

Then I stuck the line going to the mechanical fuel pump (with the filter in line) in a cup with gas in it and had someone try to start it. The pump pulled fuel into the filter so it looks like its working. I pulled the line between the pump and the rail off at the pump and disconnected both lines that go to the SU float bowls and blew air threw that, no junk coming out and strong airflow at both ends.

It seems my lines are clear but what would stop the pump from sucking up gas into the filter when its all hooked up to the line while it could while it had a line in the cup of gas? what am I missing? :cursing:

help me ratsun your my only hope ;)

princess-leia-thumb.jpg

PS. it is BITCHEN COLD cold out there to

Edited by Skib
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did you crank it for? I've had this happen and it took a while for the fuel to reach the carb bowl.

Maybe some fuel into the bowls to get it running and the extra rpm's will hurry the fuel to the front?

enough to kill the battery lol

Ill try putting some fuel in the bowls, I havent touched the carbs yet. I dont want to take them off if I dont have to, Iv spent plenty of time taking SUs apart, setting the needles and floats and putting them together but just dont want to do work I dont have to since im kinda pressed for time :(

no electric pump, just the mechanical. Its been running fine on the L26/SU's for a looong time and fine on the 280z tank for like a week, problems just came up when I ran it dry :(

going out to finish putting all the hoses on and trying your suggestions

thanks guys

damn its cold out :mad:

IMO when ever a car runs out of gas, it is susceptible to vapor lock even if its just a slight bit. there may be an air bubble in one of the carbs, if he cant get it to start off of a cup of water i would say thats the problem and to hit it with some starter fluid to at least get it to kick the air buble out

SUCCESS!

with the priming and dabbing the air filters (K&N cone) with a gas soaked rag it it stared to choke to life but just wouldnt fire, so after some frustrations i just started pouring a small amounts of gas all over the air filters and sure enough it eventually fired :D dont worry i had a fire extinguisher on hand just in case

RATSUN FTMFW

seriously, you guys just saved my ass big time. i have work at 6am and have to drive up to portland from work for a respirator fitting at 10am, I would have been boned if I missed thos