clutch question..... L series god?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't use an L16 flywheel on an L20B. Different bolt pattern.

You CAN use a roadster clutch on a L20B... if, and only if, it has a 200mm flywheel. TRUCK L20Bs had 225mm flywheels and hence had to use 225mm clutch plates. Car L20Bs had 200mm flywheels, but they've become rare since L20B cars weren't kept around very long ('75-79 610, 710, 200SX, and '78-81 510s).

Z car 225mm clutches and truck 225mm clutches are identical. Not a bit of difference. Same part number from the factory. Aftermarket, maybe not.

My 4X4 will get a 240mm next clutch change. I got a bunch of 240mm flywheels with all these Z24s I ended up with.

I've got a turbo Z clutch!!! ...in my turbo Z :)

The stock 225mm clutch is plenty strong and doesn't break stuff. Ryan had even new release bearings go out in a short period of time. The pressure is just too great. Get the larger dimeter clutch. The grabbing power is increased without the added pedal feel. 225mm is good for 200hp applications so your L20b won't even come close to needing anything stronger. Also, for a driver a lightened flywheel is not good... especially on an engine with little torque, and an L20b is torquless compared to an L28. I know people who hate their lightened flywheel in their Z.

I have a lightened 200mm flywheel in my daily driver L20b, it's only been lightened to about 20lbs so it's still pretty hefty and it drives fine. I've got a lightened 225mm flywheel at about the same weight that I'd like to try out next, should be fine also. Just don't go wild when doing the lightening.

all the 6 bolt flywheels bolt up. Just get the matching T/O bearing and the sleeve. I know in the Z car it can get confusing.with the sleeve lengths for the T/O bearing(Not a expert on those)

If you want make it simple just get a TRUCK L20 clutch set say a 77-78 620 and I believe it sould fit.

If you just have a weber DGV carbed L20 it will be more than FINE!!!!!!!Like Bleach said.

Ya, for a Z clutch if you get a 225mm Z clutch (any year up to 1983) then just be sure you have a 6-bolt 225mm flywheel or the clutch cover won't bolt up. Simple as that.

If you want a 240mm clutch, buy a 1981-83 280zx turbo stock clutch. Then get the flywheel from a turbo Z or non-turbo 4-passenger Z. (2+2)

I believe the Z24 and KA24 also use the same 240mm flywheel but I'm no expert on those.

Mike, you sure about a 240mm in a L20b 1980?? I thought all trucks(L20b) were 225mm in 1980 or theey put a 240mm in the 4x4s

Yup, I always thought, and said, that the Z series trucks were 240mm but it's only the 4X4 720s (which includes the L20B in '80) The flywheel I pulled from an '80 720 (still have it) is 240mm.

I have a lightened 200mm flywheel in my daily driver L20b, it's only been lightened to about 20lbs so it's still pretty hefty and it drives fine. I've got a lightened 225mm flywheel at about the same weight that I'd like to try out next, should be fine also. Just don't go wild when doing the lightening.

Jason if you lighten a 225mm to the same weight as the 200mm, the bigger size clutch and pp would add a little extra spinning weight too.

Morning Mike, well, I'm going to try the lightened 225mm next, bought a new 620 clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing for it too. I plan to run it on a short truck 5 speed. Wish I knew what the ratios in the 5 speed where though. Of course, this won't happen until this fall when I complete a couple of house projects like re roofing half the house!

That sounds even weirder, You'd think that as a general rule the addition is newer than the rest of the house and should have better construction (fresher anyway)

All this flywheel talk has got me thinkin. Gotta have an idea which engine you want first though. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure all the L - Z - KA have 6 bolt flywheels...obviously not all but most :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

I saw a 6 bolt flywheel the other day at a junkyard and was wondering where does the 225mm or whatever measurement comes from. What area of the flywheel would I measure to determine it's size? To use one, I'd also have to have a 6 bolt crank as well, right? Don't much know because I've never had to rip into the drivetrain of a Datsun before and see what they're all about.