Can you ID this alternator?

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=630[/img]

Anyone know what alternator this might be? Dont think it has ever worked and believe it might be wired improperly. No markings on alternator and it doesnt have a plug on the alternator just a plug on short wires going right into the case. Its in a 69 521 but the engine is an L18 from a 74 620 (I think)

Also you might see my post under electric.

Thanks

Doc

Its dark now but Ill get a pic from the front side tomorrow am.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly from a roadster, or a rebuilt for a roadster. Hard to tell. Just pull the damn thing already and have it tested, otherwise do the Saturn alt conversion and know what you have instead of all this guessing.

Be sure to start a thread asking how to do a Saturn alt swap....:D

Well if you guys dont know what it is its useless. Im' going to go to Pick and Pull and see what I can find. The alts that I am familiar with all have connectors on them labeled

1 and 2 and F etc. I googled alt wiring and was amazed at all the information available on the wiring aspect of charging systems. I was also really pleased at the step by step how to's on this site. really a lot of great info here.

Doc

I was looking at my parts supply at home in a box of loose end stuff and found it.

I told Jeff Hino and he said the 68 69 70 trucks had funky connectors. and I remember working on someone else 521 and it had a T with wire comming out from the alternator(instead of plug in the alternator) so it didnt really get standarized untill later. maybe 71????????

Believe me there is not much to a alternator unless th bearings are worn out

bridge retifier and then the brushes

It's an early alternator from the 410, 411 [and possibly early 510] family. It looks exactly like the one in my 411. All those connectors are direct factory harness plug ins. I believe that both Mitsubishi and Hitachi made them. Mine is Mitsubishi and is so marked on a plate on the side.

So, possibly a 411 alternator on a '74 L18 in a '69 521.

You say (I think) that the alt isn't charging, so remove it, then:

OPTION A: Have it tested. If good, get it wired in properly. If bad, move directly to....

OPTION B: Replace it with a stock alt, or...

OPTION C: Do the Saturn alt conversion.

Hmmmm, deja vu all over again.

Actually nothing strange about the "411" alternator in a 521. 410s shared parts with 520s and 411s with 521s. More than likely the problem is with the regulator. The mechanical ones can be adjusted, but an electronic one lasts forever and needs no attention. Need a part number for a plug in electronic regulator? You can remove the mechanical regulator cover and slide it over the electronic one if you want to preserve the appearance for show purposes.

I was just thinking if I knew what the wires from the alt hooked to I could see if its wired properly asnothing in this truck has been what the PO said it was. No big deal I can wire in a new alternator I was just curious if someone knew what the wires coming out of the alt went to.So now that Banzai has given me a way to go I wil check out the wiring and if it is correct then the alt is probably bad as the VR looks brand new as does the battery and starter and carb. Anyway my biggest problem just happened Friday on the way to work. I got stopped by traffic cop who was bored so he wrote me for the tint on my side windows being too dark. Ok no big deal just $110.00 down the drain so I continue to work and am sitting at a redlight and WHAMMMMMMMMMMM some ass hole in a full size dodge van rearends me. My head hits the back window and I find the seat wasnt bolted in all that good as me and the seat go flying forward into the wheel/dash. Trip to the ER via ambulance and i am fine but my poor 521. Thank god the PO had installed an outrageous tube bumberin the rear along with a class 1 hitch. I got all my tail lights broke and the bumper stayed straight except it bend the frame down an inch or so. Not my fault but who in the hell do I take it to to be fixed? Do I fix it myself and charge the insurance Company for the parts? What if they say its totaled? I dont have full coverage just liability but the guy who hit me and i are both covered by the same insurance co (Geico) so they want to get out as cheap as possible I believe. Maybe I need a lawyer? My back hurts like hell and i am not going to settle until I am sure I am al good physically. Oh well could have ben worse I could have gotten Tboned!!!! Thanks to all for the help with the Alt.

Doc

I can dig up schematics for the 510 and my 411 and list the From - to" connections if that will help.

By the way, the damage to your truck is covered by the other guy's collision, no deductables etc. on your part. You have the right to have it fixed any where you want. The insurance company will pay based on usually 3 estimates. If you then chose to fix it yourself, that's OK.

If the alternator is Bad why you driving the truck?

Take to alternator shop then tell us if bad or not!

I do have that connector and if you want it I can send it but if this rig is going to the dump soon I really dont want o part w the connector.

a alternator shop can fix this.he can tell where the wires com from inside

Not my fault but who in the hell do I take it to to be fixed? Do I fix it myself and charge the insurance Company for the parts? What if they say its totaled? I dont have full coverage just liability but the guy who hit me and i are both covered by the same insurance co .

they will want to total it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats why I dont want to give the connector up if I dont have to now

They can kiss my as if they think there gonna total my 521. I am driving the truck with a broke alt because its my daily driver. My plans were to change out the alt this weekend but the wreck changed things. Take it to an alternator shop? Then I would have to admit I cant fix it LOL. Seriously when I am done playing with it and cant fix it Ill just put in a GM alt. No big deal. Trying to fix something is the whole idea isnt it? Thanks a bunch for the offer of the plug but why dont you go ahead and keep it in case you need it. As for the insurance deal I am sure it will all work out OK. It just seems like when you finally find a truck you really love someone wants to screw you out of it. No way they get my 521, I know where there are a good set of taillights on a 521 at a local yard. Hey maybe I can go get them, and sell them to the body shop for a big profit? LOL

Just kidding but I think I am going to get them and hold on to them..........Just in case.

Your truck is really sweet. I have these big dreams of doing all this stuff to my Truck but plan on driving it every day while I do it. I am thinking in the real far future of lowering it but want to maintain the ability to haul things. So I will have to do some investigating to find the best way to have both. When I was 12 I started racing Motorcycles in the desert and the guy I went with had a new 1969 Datsun, so mine really brings back the memories.

The 520/521 w/ J13 motor uses the same alternator as the 411...same part number anyway. Looking in the parts manual, the 411 shows the same type wiring as your pic....the 520/521 parts manual does not.

But this still makes sense, especially if your 521 was originally equipped with a J13 before the L18 was swapped in.

Regardless, the 411 and 520/521 wiring diagrams all pretty much match, i.e. a 4-wire connector near the alternator where the wire colors change and run to the external voltage regulator through another connector (6-wire or more).

Back at the alternator, there should be two wires. One large white or white w/ red stripe connected to an insulated post that may or may not be marked with a B (this is your output), and a black wire connected to the alt casing (sometimes marked with E for earth) and to the engine or frame as a ground.