carb gaskets

Hi guys,

OK, so I got the head milled to flat on my L20B and got it all put back together. Problem is that when I pulled the carb off it mangled the gaskets a little. and now it just barely starts. Does anyone know the part # for said gaskets? One thick one thin.

Thanks

Chris

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not not mess with trying to make gaskets....maybe you will have luck. but making sure all of the screw holes and such comes out okay and no leaks, then that's another story. I am certain that you can buy those gaskets. Not sure if you weber 32/36? but those gaskets are available everywhere.

Go to a dolla store and buy a hole punch also known as a ticket punch. Looks like a pair of pliers with a spring in the handle and clips holes in paper and cardboard. Get one that punches round holes.

Draw out the gasket and nibble out the bolt holes. For bigger holes open a hole so you can get the scissors or snips started. Very easy and good results.

Go to a dolla store and buy a hole punch also known as a ticket punch. Looks like a pair of pliers with a spring in the handle and clips holes in paper and cardboard. Get one that punches round holes.

Draw out the gasket and nibble out the bolt holes. For bigger holes open a hole so you can get the scissors or snips started. Very easy and good results.

x2

making gaskets is pretty easy, you can also make a paper template to and just transfer that to the gasket material

Man I hate doing that hole punching thing. I was doing that for hours till my father taught me this old Mexican trick in making gaskets. Get an uncut paper gasket and a screw driver. Place the uncut paper gasket on top of the part that needs the gasket. Then tap the "plastic" part of the screw driver around the base of the part that needs the gasket with the uncut gasket on top. When you hit the gasket with the screw driver, the gasket will hit the base and rip little by little. Hit it all the way around and you will get a gasket that fits like its oem. Kind of get it?

Every good Ratsun mechanic should have a drawer like this:

gaskets1.jpg

From left to right: Protractor and compass set, exacto blades and knife, mini ruler (that one's brand new!) hole punch, all purpose scissors, sewing scissors, leather punch, and a multitude of gasket material on hand.

gaskets2.jpg

Man I hate doing that hole punching thing. I was doing that for hours till my father taught me this old Mexican trick in making gaskets. Get an uncut paper gasket and a screw driver. Place the uncut paper gasket on top of the part that needs the gasket. Then tap the "plastic" part of the screw driver around the base of the part that needs the gasket with the uncut gasket on top. When you hit the gasket with the screw driver, the gasket will hit the base and rip little by little. Hit it all the way around and you will get a gasket that fits like its oem. Kind of get it?

That method has been around since the Model T, but most of them tips 'n' tricks are disappearing/unfamiliar to the post-Baby Boom generations.

My first auto shop project was to make a water pump gasket with a paper hand towel and small hammer. Works.

I remember wanting to work on Chrysler's newest motor... the new 426 Street HEMI. Hell I'd settle for working on a 327! Instead, I had to make paper gaskets.... so I was pissed. Didn't see why I had to learn about gaskets, stupid 4 cycle theory! I wanted to build shit! I thought auto shop was going to be fun... but NO!! I developed a bad attitude and would always say 'I don't know' if asked a question by the teacher. Never joined in. I was failing the course by Christmas break and didn't give a shit.

Well, sometime around then, for some reason I forgot to be pissed off. It was just to much work to stay that way and gradually got over it. By the end of that school year I got a note in my report card saying I was the most improved auto shop student in all of grade nine. I guess what I didn't realize at the time was that I was learning that there was a lot I didn't know about cars. Once that lesson sank in everything made a lot more sense.

I never cared for high school and was glad to get out. Auto shop was far from my favorite shop course but I did manage a fair to middling pass. About the only thing I remember now is hammering out that damn paper gasket.:D Thanks Motavated, that took me back.

Edited by datzenmike

See now, if your auto shop teacher would have given you a Datsun motor to start on, it would have been better.

I keep threatening to bring in a built 20b on a stand to put next to our 350 on the sales floor to emphasize our carrying long blocks and Datsun parts. Maybe when I become manager. :D

I just found a sheet of asbestos :eek: gasket material in my stuff the other day. Gotta be 20-30 years old, leftover from my US Navy days. We almost never had the right gaskets for pump flanges and shit. Piece of gasket and a ballpeen hammer were standard.