Looking to buy an AMC Hornet

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thx guys. i'll find one eventually. probably in big 'ol texas or nearbouts

i grew up with american dinosaurs, but amc had some alternative things going on

that i've overlooked until now: more balanced chassis, unibody, smaller and lighter

oh yes, and with the addition of "sway-bars" and "coil-overs" you can achieve "porsche-like" handling ... :lol:

thx guys. i'll find one eventually. probably in big 'ol texas or nearbouts

i grew up with american dinosaurs, but amc had some alternative things going on

that i've overlooked until now: more balanced chassis, unibody, smaller and lighter

oh yes, and with the addition of "sway-bars" and "coil-overs" you can achieve "porsche-like" handling ... :lol:

Alternative things that no-one bought.There was a reason for this.

Unibody,just like front wheel drive exists because of one reason and one reason only-it's cheap to make.

Since you asked:

AMC's in general were garbage.Sans the 2 seater AMX(and possibly the Scrambler),they made nothing,repeat NOTHING worth owning.

More proof you ask?

Gremlin-self explantory

Pacer-Why design a fishbowl when guppies can't drive?

Matador-So ugly, it could make a train take a dirt road.Stevie Wonder flinched when this car debuted.

MORE proof?

Production numbers.

Look at how many Javelins,AMX's were made vs GTO's Chevelles,Camaro's, Firebirds,Mustangs.Torinos,Roadrunners,Chargers,GTX's,R/T's Just to name a few.

Nobody wanted them.

Even more proof:

AMC went tits up during a"good" economy.

Z-train, so you like AMCs in general and the AMX in particular.

Brubuda, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to get one. I can think of several AMC cars I'd love to own and drive every day. Just surprised you are looking for a Hornet which was never a very noticeable car. The Hornet was an OK car, nice size, reliable, nice price.

What gives? Is it the next up-and-coming sleeper? Replace the little V8 with a 390 or 401 engine and have the surprise of the century? That reminds me of a little American coupe I drove once...

Edited by ggzilla

considering how difficult to find they are, i have plenty of time to consider things, but i don't think i can know if i've made a mistake unless i actually make the mistake ... :D

i'm not very much fond of toyota's or mazda's, so i began to have unnatural thoughts about amc's, maverick's & vega's :eek:

no worries, there's always a running datsun in my stable, as well as a few on the back burner ...

Z-train, so you like AMCs in general and the AMX in particular..

No,I do not like AMC's in"general".The 2-seater AMX was their best piece though and the best looking also.There is a AMX or Javelin for sale near me.1st generation and it's a stick car but with no motor or tranny.It would be a good buy for you AMC types.

It's definitely a good idea to get one now, when it's still possible. If I have understood right, these cars are getting rare but they are still worth nothing? Get one now for cheap and many people envy you after couple of years. That's how it goes. And that's exactly what happened with our beloved Datsuns. 10-15 years ago B110's and 510's were nothing but junk. People were happy when I picked up those cars from their backyards. Now they are asking me if I'm willing to sell any of my Datsuns...and besides, not many Datsuns were special when new. For example 510 was just another family car. Now it has a strong cult status.

Burabuda, I say to each their own...

As for the Hornet, I know a guy who has two of them, don't know if he is willing to part with one, but if not, I am sure he has friends (when you've kept two for that long, he has to know somebody else). I will see about it here at the beginning of February, when I may see him milling around. Quiet guy until you ask him questions, then more of a talker...

Are you looking for the 4-door model? I am sure there are lots of options, and if you are doing the resto, I know it'll turn out great.

And if its down to what you mentioned previously:

i'm not very much fond of toyota's or mazda's, so i began to have unnatural thoughts about amc's, maverick's & vega's

I say go for the Maverick...

I drove a Hornet for 2 weeks in High School. My folks had 4 cars and one ran, so they bought one more car and borrowed the Hornet from a guy at church.

The dash lights didn't work (but I fixed them by cleaning the dimmer switch), and the driver's seat was held up by piles of 8-track tapes (the car had a working 8-track player). The trunk was full of snow tires (a full set, complete with an extra set of bullet hubcaps). The engine compartment was a uniform shade of gray. 6-cyl automatic with non-power brakes. My Deuce and a half stops better than that thing. Hell, my '74 620 stops better.

My little sister, who was 12 at the time, wouldn't be caught dead in it. So I made a point of picking her up from school with it as often as I could those 2 weeks before I managed to fix my Datsun (I'd broken the thermostat housing trying to change the thermostat and it took that long to find one). She would hide behind the doors so the boys in 8th Grade wouldn't see her.

My little sister, who was 12 at the time, wouldn't be caught dead in it. So I made a point of picking her up from school with it as often as I could those 2 weeks before I managed to fix my Datsun (I'd broken the thermostat housing trying to change the thermostat and it took that long to find one). She would hide behind the doors so the boys in 8th Grade wouldn't see her.

great story. yeah, i never even noticed them before now, but now i've got an itch to actually own one

i won't be suprised if i end up swapping out the entire drivetrain, suspension, interior and electronics, but dammit, it'll still be a weird looking hornet on the outside, and that's what matters!

i've had kookier ideas :D

Guest jaimesix

I want to purchase a MG Midget. That is my non Datsun dream. A Midget with a 3 rotor Mazda Rotary engine to terrorize the streets and to throw off the pigs that hide in dark highways:D

If anyone knows of a MG Midget, give me a holler!!!

Jaime._____________________________________________________