Buy or not? im torn!

510er

1fd1271g93o03p33l28cbeac60e70c9691460.jpg

IMG00028.jpg

IMG00029.jpg

This has been on CL for about a month or so now and im torn about buying it. Its advertised as a '73 the owner thinks its a 78, but the Vin comes back as a 77. I went and looked at it for a ratsun member that decided that he didnt want it. Now Im just torn if i should buy it for myself. It runs great has recently had the engine gone through clean interior (cracked dash :fu:) minor body damage (gives it character)

The current owner bought it from an auction and has an Abandoned Vehicle Receipt thats been notarized and all that good stuff. So according to the DOL here all i would need is to take that, a bill of sale, and a release of interest form the current owner and i would have a clean title in 6 weeks.

What should I do? do 620's have decent resale value if i buy it drive it/clean it up then sell it this summer...??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What should I do? do 620's have decent resale value if i buy it drive it/clean it up then sell it this summer...??

Shame on you, buying it to turn a buck??? Keep it and enjoy it.

The bad...

Non-stock crappy aftermarket fuel pump.

Hole in front m/c reservoir.

Don't see the EGR so might have some 'red-neck tech' block off plate w/o PCV valve.

Valve cover vent not properly attached to air filter... fumes in cab.

Don't see fuel pressure reg for the Weber. Maybe the crappy pump is low pressure.

Definitely '75 or newer. Looks like a U-67 head so not '78 or '79. Check the driver's door tag for the build date. Look at the block to be sure an L18 not slipped in.

Shame on you, buying it to turn a buck??? Keep it and enjoy it.

The bad...

Non-stock crappy aftermarket fuel pump.

Hole in front m/c reservoir.

Don't see the EGR so might have some 'red-neck tech' block off plate w/o PCV valve.

Valve cover vent not properly attached to air filter... fumes in cab.

Don't see fuel pressure reg for the Weber. Maybe the crappy pump is low pressure.

Definitely '75 or newer. Looks like a U-67 head so not '78 or '79. Check the driver's door tag for the build date. Look at the block to be sure an L18 not slipped in.

whats that about an after market fuel pump .. it looks like mine.. so is mine crappy after market??? oh an weber FPR?? WTF??

Webers 'prefer' fuel pressure below 3 PSI. The stock pump is rated at 3-3.9 PSI and can easily overpower the float and flood at low speed and idle.

Perhaps crappy is too harsh a word. I haven't heard anything good about them. If yours works well consider yourself blessed. :D

mines never had a problem, only been drivin it a few years tho, god knows how old it is... not the first one i've seen, rarely see the space ship ones any more.. also i run no FPR, never had a problem, infact this is the first time i've heard about using a fpr with a weber, my friends 77 had a stock electric pump an he never had issues either... my step dad runs a yoda an has problems with his some times.. i will ask him if he ever fixed the problem, if not i will suggest a fpr.. his 22r has a manual pump also i think?

You don't really need a fuel pressure regulator if the fuel return line is hooked up... it's a bypass that works really well (the stock mechanical L20B pump, which is higher GPM than a L16/L18 stock pump, could overpower the float valve in the stock Hitachi). All '75 and later Datsuns had the return stock.

In the pic, the fuel return is still hooked up. I'd be more inclined to wonder what kind of Weber that is... it doesn't look like a DGV. Might be a Holley 5200.

my 2 cents...if you can resell it tomorrow for the same amount you spent today then its OK to buy....although you did say its been on craigslist for a month or so...and the boys are trying to help you on the little things and they seem to know there stuff....

how much lol i want a 620 :(

This has been on CL for about a month or so now and im torn about buying it. Its advertised as a '73 the owner thinks its a 78, but the Vin comes back as a 77. I went and looked at it for a ratsun member that decided that he didnt want it. Now Im just torn if i should buy it for myself. It runs great has recently had the engine gone through clean interior (cracked dash :fu:) minor body damage (gives it character)

The current owner bought it from an auction and has an Abandoned Vehicle Receipt thats been notarized and all that good stuff. So according to the DOL here all i would need is to take that, a bill of sale, and a release of interest form the current owner and i would have a clean title in 6 weeks.

okay got like halfway there and the guy called me... can we make it 445? so im home again waiting anxiously to leave... Do i need 2 datsuns to work on? No but im driving this one home, and as far as appreciates how my 510 handles and drives... its in a little of 6 billion pieces so the 620 is going to handle like a dream in comparison. Im just going to drive this until it wont drive no more!

okay i got it! I would have paid the 400 bucks for it a when i looked at it the first time, the floor mats were frozen to the floor. I lifted the drivers side and was greated with the most redneck hilarious floor pan that i have seen in a long time. there was obviously some rot in the floor at one point and the remedy was to drop in a large piece of sheet metal to cover it up.... well the areas that the sheetmetal was to far from the floor to weld the gap they wedged wrenches in between and welded the patch to the wrench and the wrench to the truck.... to ensure a proper seal between the old floor they never removed and the new patch they used newspaper to keep it from rattling... Also i think it had a roof rack on it at one point because the roof needs some TLC

So i gave the guy 300 for it and drove it home. it back fires twice from first to third upon hard acceleration, it is a 5 speed, the brakes are SUPER touchy. the dash bezel that goes around the heater controls is broken and half missing. It does have excellent studded snow tires on the front...(WTF) and newer allseasons on the back. seat is flawless both door panels are perfect, someone recently redid the headliner with a kind of tweed brown stuff looks good.

Once home i swapped the studs to the rear and check out brake pads and drums, all look rusty and amazing! I cleaned it all out and found lots of bank statements... I wired in a headunit and some speakers to play the mixed cd i found under the floor mat. working on tuning the carb and going to check the timing tomorrow.

Future plans, Paint the wheels red, do a rising sun hood, drive the ell out of it.

Pictures of all to follow this afternoon