flipping the rear springs question....

Llittle_Llama

I pulled the spring tonight and went to flip it and noticed I am not as powerful as a C clamp....so tomorrow it will be done. question I have is this:

1. Can I replace the bolt that goes between the leafs to hold them together with just a plain grade 8 bolt, and if so i know the lowering blocks wont fit so can I "safely" drill out the hole in the bottom so as to fit the bolt?

and 2. Can i put washers on said bolt from above, and is it even needed? It just seems like there will be a lot more stress on the bolt compared to stock is all.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bolt holding my leafs together is a grade 8 with a nyloc nut. its like an inch and a quarter long. its also a half inch head. i dont know what size the threads are, but it takes a 1/2in wrench. you wont need washers for it, and the 1/2in bolt head will work fine for a centering pin. make sure to put the head of the bolt up. works better that way.

thats odd, mine is not a nyloc nut, the one i took off i mean.... the threads are not messed up on either and they cleaned up pretty well with a wire brush, i just was not sure if it would still work since the bottom leaf is going on top of the pack. Is the way I'm doing this safe? I only have the 2 springs left, the monoleaf, and the one with the metal clamps on the ends... thanks farmer too :)

the centerpin/ 1/2in bolt i have is one i got from the hardware store. the stock centerpin bolt is too long to use when you only have the main and overload spring. go get a bolt with a 1/2 in head thats like 1 maybe 1 1/4in long and a matching nyloc nut and bam there you have it.

wow... do it properly. put all your damn springs back and fork out the massive 30 bucks for some lowering blocks. Or even better, hit up Canada spring and haev them de-arch your springs. The centering bolt should NOT be a standard bolt. it is made to hodl your axle true to the truck. agian Canada spring will have these... if I recall you work right beside them to...

Edited by ///FiveOneOh

Yeah... There is this other thread that you have posted in there before. Couldnt you just keep posting there with your new qurestions?

Not trying to be a dick... But can you use search?

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=117318

You know what I did? I asked my questions in a note. Yeah....

I had no idea that they sold that pin, i will get new ones tomorrow. All i have left after the move are the 2 springs i mentioned, the one i cannot remove and the one with the clamps. that's all that was on it except for the overload spring that i removed back in Alabama. so am i better off monoleafing it or dearching the one and putting it back on?

from: ok' date=' this is bullshit.....i want to be kicked in the rear!!![/size']

If you want it lower, just put the bed back on, print out all your posts and throw them in the bed, you will probably need to raise it then to keep from dragging

I just used a bolt for the leaves. Any spring shop sells them. You may have to grind down the length for the difference in leaves that are missing.

Removing springs will impair the trucks ability to carry a load. This also includes bottoming out on bumps and dips in the road!!! It's really a race to see if the shocks bottom or the frame hits first.

BEST would be a stock spring that's been de-arched some. It will be stiffer and lessen, I said lessen the bottoming out. When lowering you want stiffer springs because you have less suspension travel before hitting something. Lowering while at the same time removing leaves, makes no sense what so ever.

Or you could do what has been mentioned in a couple other threads, Put the 4X4 720 springs in it. With them your truck will sit roughly 2 1/2" lower.......Then through you print outs in the bed and lower it another 3".

Well I am going back out there today and C clamping it and tossing the bed back on. i will just cut the spring bolt a little so it's not so long. I think I am done with it now, I have a few offers for it on mautofied and think i will just get out of the whole datsun thing till i can find a 510 or wagon in cali. -OR- sell it and wait till sep. when the cube comes out and just puss out on the truck to wrench on :(