3000 mile roadtrip 73' 620

Im going away to college and have a 73 Datsun 620 I need to get ready for a cross country move and I just wanna see what ya'll think I should do to get it ready so I have little to no problems. just replaced the clutch and driveshaft carrier bearing. I got about a month to get it ready and I want to do a disc brake conversion in the front, thinking the silver mine kit. the only thing I don't like about it is how big the setup is with the 12in rotors. thanks for any input and god bless. temp-Image-V1v-Y6-C.avif

Edited by Chance
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have brakes. Disc won't stop you any better than well adjusted drum brakes their advantage is they require much less maintenance then drums. Spend the time and money on more important things that are necessary. Do them when you get there.

Check the belts and hoses. (hoses rot from the inside out, look for soft or swollen hoses)

Ignition system. (cap, rotor, plugs, wires (if they look bad they are)) Don't replace the coil... if working it's fine and you risk putting a poorer quality part in.

Check all fluids. If you don't know when they were replaced last... replace them. GL4 for manual transmission DEXRON for automatics, GL5 for differential, any good quality antifreeze and 50/50 with distilled water, fill washer reservoir and carry lots of extra with you. 10w30 Shell Rotella T4 engine oil and a new, non fram oil filter.. NAPA Gold or WIX are probably still good quality.

New wiper blades.

Check electrical. all lights working? headlights, turn signals, side marker, running or parking and license light.

Brakes. Any leaks or wetness? A trip uses the least brakes per mile. Replace stuff now rather than later when you get there. Be sure that are adjusted.. it has to be done manually. Self adjusting truck brakes weren't available for another 10 years.

Fuel system. Replace the fuel filter. Check for leaks or wetness.

Suspension. Anything loose or making noise? Best improvement for the suspension system are new quality shocks.

Tires. Should all be the same make and sizes. If replacing them do now. Get a tire gauge and check pressure every morning.

Exhaust. If leaking or noisy, fix. If replacing the muffler get a real muffler or the drone will drive you batty on a long trip.

Grease the king pins and the steering ball joints.

Take paper towels and Windex to keep the glass clear. I treat the windshield with RainX. Above 40 you don't even need the wipers and bugs don't stick as much. If you drink coffee on the road get a cup holder. Carry bottled water. Have hand sanitizer and use it every time you get out for gas or what ever. While hands are wet, wipe over the steering wheel and the shifter. 

• Like 4

All of that is very sage advice. Print it out & check it off as you prepare, you have 1 month to prepare an older vehicle for a 3000 mile trip. Enjoy the trip not hate it.

BTW nice looking truck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I drove my 40 year old 710 to Canby and usually went up to Calgary on the way home. Usually 1,500- 2,000 miles depending. Did this 8 times? While there were a couple or threatening problems nothing ever happened. HRH lent me an alternator for an on/off charging problem that was mostly my imagination, that I never used and returned the next year, plug wire fell off. I was prepared and the car was prepared.

If points ignition ,, buy an extra set and put in glove box.. 

on that same note ,, if you never adjusted points before,  take your points out , and install a few times so you can do it in a Walmart parking lot in bum-fuck Wyoming .

appreciate the advice guys, @datzenmike I was thinking disc for the peace of mind of if I get in any downhill parts and plus I wouldn't be able to work on drums very well or have the tools I would need. I had 6 piston wilwoods on my previous car and man in and out with the pads super easy and they never caused me any problems. also ill have to look around for some of the caps for the wheels love that look especially on the old bugs. @bananahamuck I'll definitely put in some reps on the points haha 

• Like 1

It's a truck, the brakes are over size 10" on all four for carrying 1/2 ton of load. You rarely use the brakes on long trips except for gas and stopping for the night. You don't have tools for changing brake shoes but want to put disc brakes on? well it you're hot for them then go ahead. 

1+ Mike's list. Only thing I would add is make sure you have a good spare tire and the tools to change a flat. Add extra fuses and a small spool of 14 gauge electric wire to you're toolbox. 

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wash hand every chance.

Carry hand sanitizer, resist the urge to touch everything.

Have roll of toilet paper and paper towels. Carry a container like a coffee cup to piss in and pour out the window. No way will I get out of my vehicle, nor spend time looking for disgusting rest room in some shady area.  

Have a garbage container on passenger floor.

Eat only at well known fast food or eateries. When traveling there is a tendency to over eat.

Carry bottled water and stay hydrated.

Carry a bottle of anti diarrheal tablets like Pepto Bismol. If careful you won't need them but a god send if you do.

If heat is excessive or expected to be and traveling at night is not an option buy a bag of ice and place on floor and bare left foot on it. Or on seat against thigh, rest arm against it. It makes a cool heat sink.

Get a $15 dollar map book (a GOOD one) that is currant. Plan your route ahead and up date your progress.

Pen and paper. Take a 10 minute break and calculate your gas mileage after you fill up.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's a truck, the brakes are over size 10" on all four for carrying 1/2 ton of load. You rarely use the brakes on long trips except for gas and stopping for the night. You don't have tools for changing brake shoes but want to put disc brakes on? well it you're hot for them then go ahead. 

I have all the tools where i'm at right now but where im going I won't have all the stuff nor time I need to do them if I needed to or something went wrong but I get what your saying. appreciate the advice Mike

5 hours ago, Chance said:

im going from the west coast to the east coast. 

Well I kind of figured that much..... 

To the north or south once you get east... 

I mention only because I'm sure there ratsun members along the way and possibly where you are heading if you ever need help.....

Also some might have route advice...

Such as don't go this way or avoid stopping here.....

Also I don't think it was mentioned but some spare gas is a good idea....

There are some areas where gas stations are a distance apart..... I traveled from Massachusetts to San Diego California and I remember getting worried cause we were low and couldn't find an open station....

My 521 had hard time going over rthe pass . Higher I got the more it blocked traffiic.

Winter time Carb could freeze up also overpass? I didnt run a water line that time to intake.

you see that show on motortrend where they buy that 510. Mater of fact believe it was a car on here at one time. The wire harness melted on their roadtrip.

Ive had so many close calls on my 521 falling apart all with in 5-7miles from home. Moslty bad starters and alternators(crappy rebuilds.

lash pads falling out from the rocker,loosing a cylinder,

clutch disc shatter

radiator hose pin hole leak(3M self sealing tape )

Of caurse points going out, or bad bushing causing bounce,springs weights breaks,bad condensor will shut you down.

water pump bearing goes!!!!!!cause you bought the 30$ china pump.

fuel pump finally goes. If China made Spectra clone the arm breaks off or spring falls out

driveline bolts fall out.

slave cylinder explodes

on really hot HOT days my 521 and 510 still run hot if caught in traffic thats with a 3 core rad.

cross country is for newer cars

waiting for a part in the midwest will cost you more in Hotel rentals than just getting another car.  Plus east coast winters will kill a 70s Japanese car/truck with the salt.  Leave it home

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
16 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

My 521 had hard time going over rthe pass . Higher I got the more it blocked traffiic.

Winter time Carb could freeze up also overpass? I didnt run a water line that time to intake.

you see that show on motortrend where they buy that 510. Mater of fact believe it was a car on here at one time. The wire harness melted on their roadtrip.

Ive had so many close calls on my 521 falling apart all with in 5-7miles from home. Moslty bad starters and alternators(crappy rebuilds.

lash pads falling out from the rocker,loosing a cylinder,

clutch disc shatter

radiator hose pin hole leak(3M self sealing tape )

Of caurse points going out, or bad bushing causing bounce,springs weights breaks,bad condensor will shut you down.

water pump bearing goes!!!!!!cause you bought the 30$ china pump.

fuel pump finally goes. If China made Spectra clone the arm breaks off or spring falls out

driveline bolts fall out.

slave cylinder explodes

on really hot HOT days my 521 and 510 still run hot if caught in traffic thats with a 3 core rad.

cross country is for newer cars

waiting for a part in the midwest will cost you more in Hotel rentals than just getting another car.  Plus east coast winters will kill a 70s Japanese car/truck with the salt.  Leave it home

I agree with ya, but mostly all cars with cheap Chinese trash on em even new cars will break down. that's why im tryna get all or as close to all oem or quality made parts. also Im worried about the salt over there as well. but people live over there their entire lives and still have there cars. its just the ones that don't care for 'em, i'm thinking frequent washing and a good lanolin spray coating will help it out in the winter. 

I’d bring a spare fuel pump, alternator, distributor, alternator, and maybe a starter. It’s a manual so you can push start and be fine. Lots of spare fuel filters. 

Bring tools, multimeter, spare wire, electrical tape, zip ties, a jack, spare tire. Service manual might be good.. since you may not have internet everywhere. Get yourself AAA.

If your truck is well prepared you won't need to take that much for break downs as they are unlikely to happen. Rather than carrying a spare part that doesn't fail, just buy it on the go if it does. If you want perfect assurance, tow a spare truck behind you. 

6 hours ago, Chance said:

people live over there their entire lives and still have there cars.

Its in a heated garage and 90% of the time its NOT a Datsun amd stores dont carry Datsun parts on the shelf.

Youll be in school and truck out in the street frozen solid in winter.

Get a Dodge Neon cheap. then throw it away when done

On 5/25/2024 at 2:52 PM, Crashtd420 said:

I mention only because I'm sure there ratsun members along the way and possibly where you are heading if you ever need help.....

Also some might have route advice...

You haven't said if you plan to stop and smell the roses along the way or are looking at getting from A to B as quickly as possible.

Interstate speeds will be hard on your truck as it wasn't designed for running at 70MPH hour after hour, better to focus more on more "regular" or secondary highways. This way you won't: a) be running the truck as hard, and b) if something requires attention, a high probability of that, you'll be closer to civilization and help/parts stores.

I get the sense that your 620 is your wheels not just to get there, you need it running and driveable when you do get there. Plan your route well, don't push time, take in the changing geography, and enjoy the trip. Post your travels here and if by chance you need help along the way, some decent Ratsun member can help you out.

I drive for a living coast-to-coast & to the far north, in nothing over 2 years old, and a breakdown in the middle of nowhere without cell service happens.

3 hours ago, EDM620 said:

You haven't said if you plan to stop and smell the roses along the way or are looking at getting from A to B as quickly as possible.

Interstate speeds will be hard on your truck as it wasn't designed for running at 70MPH hour after hour, better to focus more on more "regular" or secondary highways. This way you won't: a) be running the truck as hard, and b) if something requires attention, a high probability of that, you'll be closer to civilization and help/parts stores.

I get the sense that your 620 is your wheels not just to get there, you need it running and driveable when you do get there. Plan your route well, don't push time, take in the changing geography, and enjoy the trip. Post your travels here and if by chance you need help along the way, some decent Ratsun member can help you out.

I drive for a living coast-to-coast & to the far north, in nothing over 2 years old, and a breakdown in the middle of nowhere without cell service happens.

great advice, I plan on getting there as quick as possible. don't want anything breaking down on me and I think I'll take your advice on the secondary highways. I figure if I were to break down and get stuck the time, parts, and if needed help would cost more than the gas to go a bit further. also like you said it'll be cool to check everything out on the trip and enjoy it instead of driving through the desert where there's absolutely nothing haha. appreciate the advice brother, God bless.