throwout bearing stuck on collar

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold chisel or screwdriver and hammer. Put it in a vise and slowly work your way around the lip of the race or there’s quite possibly a notch on opposing sides to work it off.

• Thanks 1

be careful those collars are cast iron and are pretty brittle. 

safer option would be rent or buy a bearing puller and put socket large enough as same size collar and push against that.  

something like this ,, even harbor freight ones might work if you're careful 

63662_W3.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bananahamuck said:

be careful those collars are cast iron and are pretty brittle. 

safer option would be rent or buy a bearing puller and put socket large enough as same size collar and push against that.  

something like this ,, even harbor freight ones might work if you're careful 

63662_W3.jpg

I was thinking one of those but the lip to catch on anything is very small and there's nothing to push on the tool, could you elaborate on the socket trick? Thanks 

7 hours ago, Chance said:

I was thinking one of those but the lip to catch on anything is very small and there's nothing to push on the tool, could you elaborate on the socket trick? Thanks 

Maybe use  upside down so it catches a bit better?  
   The suggestion about putting a couple notches across the race ( I assume with cutter wheel) might help , but it would scare me . 

Be easier if I take a couple pics in morning , explaining socket , if someone doesn’t beat me to it .. 

10 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

Maybe use  upside down so it catches a bit better?  
   The suggestion about putting a couple notches across the race ( I assume with cutter wheel) might help , but it would scare me . 

Be easier if I take a couple pics in morning , explaining socket , if someone doesn’t beat me to it .. 

the pics would be great if you could. i just wanna rent one but they only rent the seperator and not the other attachment to pull on it, I was thinking of putting a socket right on the inside lip of the collar and using the puller to push on that. is this kinda what your saying?  the thing is they don't rent the puller and I aint tryna buy a 50 dollar tool to use it once.  

17 minutes ago, Chance said:

the pics would be great if you could. i just wanna rent one but they only rent the seperator and not the other attachment to pull on it, I was thinking of putting a socket right on the inside lip of the collar and using the puller to push on that. is this kinda what your saying?  the thing is they don't rent the puller and I aint tryna buy a 50 dollar tool to use it once.  

I dont know how old you are or what you level of desire to do mechanical work is.  But my two cents is buy the tool.  There are so many goddamn tools I passed on bc I would only need them once that I just borrowed.  Now that I do much more work and want to purchase them, the ching chong chang ones cost more that what a quality tool would have cost me originally.  

2 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

I dont know how old you are or what you level of desire to do mechanical work is.  But my two cents is buy the tool.  There are so many goddamn tools I passed on bc I would only need them once that I just borrowed.  Now that I do much more work and want to purchase them, the ching chong chang ones cost more that what a quality tool would have cost me originally.  

yea I agree its useful to have the tool when you need it, but the ones id be buying would be the china ones as the other bearing puller sets are like 800 bucks. if we still lived in the day where tools were made well 100% I'd go for 'em but sadly we don't. but I can't find a set to rent ill probably just end up buying it. maybe ill return it after haha. we'll see. 

6 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I get a big socket and fit it inside and pount it out or use a vice to squeeze it out.

then I use a vice to squeeze back on

I was trying to pound it out but the vice won't hold the collar enough and I don't wanna put it in there too tight and have something happen to the collar. what do you mean by squeezing it out? 

I put the T/O bearing resting on a open vice to let the collar hang. then pound it out as the T/O bearing is not going to be used anyway again.

then put the T/O bearing on and fit inside sideways the collar and squeeze the baring on

you might not squzze it out. unkess yoiu have soem standoffs bigger than the Collar and a socket to fit in the T/O bearin part to push it out.

I pounded mine out but squeezed it back on Its simple.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
2 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I put the T/O bearing resting on a open vice to let the collar hang. then pound it out as the T/O bearing is not going to be used anyway again.

then put the T/O bearing on and fit inside sideways the collar and squeeze the baring on

oh okay but in my case its just the race that's stuck on the collar so there's a very tiny lip in the photos that wouldn't be able to rest on the vice 

the socket actually pushes the collar out. the socket is getting pushed by one side of the vice..Justr need to soppart the T/O bearing and use that with soemthing under it(really sideways) thats bigger so when the collar is being pushed it has room to come out.

I just used the socket to to bang out the collar and the T/O bearing was just resting on the 2 clamps parts and was a straight up and down attemp to bang it out. Just get the right socket and not to mushroom the collar edge then it might be harder to come out

just to push out evenly ,  only use the two piece puller thing ,,, which i couldn't find ..

I use the vise ,, like hainz says to bang it out also,,  but you might be past that point , since your outer parts is now gone. 

zylaGe1.jpg

Jl0Ecdo.jpg

• Thanks 1