Datsun 521 4X4 Project

The flanges are round on the t100, so drilling 45' out is certainly an option.

It really surprised me when it wouldn't slip in, for sure. (Story of my life, lol) After trying, I took it out from under the truck, and compared, and was shocked to see the difference. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also been working on the interior of this thing. I drew up some replacement duct rubber things, and printed them out of TPU. Also went through the heater box/tombstone thing, and cleaned it up, and painted it up. 

20240701_121317.jpg

20240701_121330.jpg

20240701_121958.jpg

• Like 1

Also been working on the dash, and dash pad. I know this has been a pain for about anyone who has had one of these trucks. Mine was so cracked and brittle that I just removed all of the foam, and decided I'll try to make one out of high density foam, and cover it in foam backed vinyl. 

20240703_165405.jpg

20240703_182520.jpg

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Metalguy said:

Also been working on the dash, and dash pad. I know this has been a pain for about anyone who has had one of these trucks. Mine was so cracked and brittle that I just removed all of the foam, and decided I'll try to make one out of high density foam, and cover it in foam backed vinyl. 

I did that once in a Standard, the British car, it had nothing but the metal support which I covered with the foam then shaped the front edge and wrapped it with automotive vinyl. Your dash support has openings so I would suggest using ridged urethane as a base layer because it can be shaped then covered with a layer of fiberglass so it won't sag into the hollows  and then you can contact cement the vinyl over it. A heat gun or hair dryer helps the vinyl stretch around contours, it helps to do a practice run before using the glue.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Material came like that. I eliminated the factory lip that comes back towards the driver, and it sits flush. I am satisfied with the results. I used very stiff foam to cover the top, and contact cement, then trimmed to the edge. I cut off the two tabs that were on the ends, as they serve no purpose without the lip. I then covered it in this vinyl that has some batting on the back after I cut the holes for the ducts and ashtray in the foam. Once I had the vinyl how I liked it, I cut the holes for the ashtray in the vinyl by just cutting an X in the ashtray opening, and just a straight cut in the middle for the 4 vents. Installing the vents, and ashtray stretched the vinyl so it formed around very well.

-----Metalguy

• Thanks 1

Interesting. Mine has a black undercoating looking stuff in the engine bay, and down low in the cab. It's pretty old, so it looks like it was applied when new. Did dealerships apply stuff like that? 

I installed the new rear window seal this past weekend, and found my ebay seal was approx 1" too big. I cut it, and installed anyway. I ordered a new windshield seal from steel rubber that should be here Tuesday, same day as the replacement windshield. 

20240712_184235.jpg

20240712_142156.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/15/2024 at 12:43 PM, Metalguy said:

I installed the new rear window seal this past weekend, and found my ebay seal was approx 1" too big. I cut it, and installed anyway. I ordered a new windshield seal from steel rubber that should be here Tuesday, same day as the replacement windshield. 

20240712_184235.jpg

20240712_142156.jpg

Where are the door seals from?

I got some years ago that fit horribly,  couldn't close the door when done... 

I bought a "complete" kit off ebay, and I think they are from Thailand? I have only tried the rear window seal, and worked around that, but havent tried the door seals, or wing window seals yet. I didn't feel like risking the front windshield seal, after seeing how far off the rear window seal was. My new seal is supposed to arrive today from steelrubber. I'll run sealant around them both after installation, to avoid any leaks. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hint; leave the vinyl 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch long where it meets the door to tuck under the pinch welt and fold it over every where else. It should go in after the carpet to show a clean line. Now if you have an industrial sewing machine you could do a center insert of the stitched vinyl on the door card. Either way it'll look good.

• Thanks 1

I got the kick panels done today. I also got the engine /tranny ready to be pulled tomorrow. I have a kind of silly question... Does anyone know where I can get the nuts that go on the stems of the stock AM radio? I need a pair, and don't know the right search criteria, as I keep coming up with corvette parts. 

20240727_170217.jpg

• Like 6

I have a question for the engine gurus. Mt 521  has a L20b in it, and I'd like to clean up the look of the manifold. It has what appears to be a coolant line integrated into it. I assume it is for carb heat in winter so you don't get carb ice... I do not have the stock carb, and have put a weber on it. What ill effects can I expect if I delete this coolant setup on the manifold? I live in the PNW, and the only carb ice I have experienced was on a old VW with dual solex carbs on a very humid winter day. This truck will most likely only be driven during nice weather.  Thoughts? 

The coolant passage is also for keeping the intake cool in summer. Engine coolant is cooler than the heat coming off the exhaust. I used to delete that feature, but now I try to keep it if possible.

For a cleaner look, get an earlier intake. The A46 intake is by far the cleanest and makes the most power too.

It also reduces hot spots at the rear and middle of the head. The hot water doesn't have to travel all the way to the thermostat housing to get out. L6 racing engines often drill and pipe the water out of their heads.

post-3218-040963800-1306011299.webp.f36902d82a1e11413391472134e41233.webp

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/cooling/l6-cylinder-head-cooling-system-mod-kit

• Like 2