Datsun 521 4X4 Project

I just picked up a 1971 Datsun 521 that has been converted to 4wd many years ago. It is a serious project, but descent shape over all. Missing the transfer case, though... currently (Just brought it home yesterday) trying to get it started, and noticed it has a L20 engine in place, and it has sat since 1991! I got the no spark situation figured out, and fuel to the carb, but the crusty carb has stuck float, and gas overflows. I will replace the carb, and press on. The pics I have show no tail lights or rear bumper, but I was relieved to see thet the bumper was in the bed, and the lights were sitting in the cab.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=7356736397714507&set=p.7356736397714507&type=3&av=100001346587415&eav=AfZESwN1mrwFWAAmZ6A7meEjCRNFW7E04FMOwf6ficb5B2qPNWLiY3oI-lWmC2kI8Xc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting the picture Steve I don't do f/b. I wonder if this is a 720 4x4 frame with the 521 body on it? Around '83 the T-100 transfer cases got larger drive shaft flanges. Bets get the one that matches your drive shafts.

I'll have to look closer at the axle. I know there was a dealership in Vancouver in the 80's converting some of these to 4x4 with a Baja 4wd "kit, and that had a Dana 20 transfer case, and a Dana 30 front axle. Any identifying marks I can look for to see if it's a Toyota front axle? I am not that familiar with 4X4 components, and I.D.  I  Will give it a close look today. I'd like to find a transfer case, and have no idea what to look for so far. ----Metalguy

I'd like to thank you all for your replies. I didn't see a "introductions" area, and if there is, I apologise. I have been an aerospace machinist, and certified aircraft welder for over 30 years, and I love old cars. I had a 1971 521 as my first car back in 1982, and had to sell it due to family needs, and wished I never had. I'll try and figure out how to post pics here properly. I had a couple of photobucket accounts, but they decided I have to pay for them now. Will dropbox photos work here? I'll give that a go next. Thursday, on my way home, I spent 20 minutes at a car wash getting the scum off the truck, and it looks a lot better. I am surprized that this truck still has the original rubber mat in the cab. it is in sad shape, but still snapped in. --------Metalguy

I'm on PC right now so it's easy...  not sure how to help if you're using phone .. 

but here's the pics. 

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

if it matters,, we are south of Tumwaters out near Littlerock 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 2

Thanks, bananahamuck for the help on the pics! Good to see you are local. I am up in Lacey/Olympa area. Have you any idea on the front axle I.D.? After looking online at some images, maybe a nissan one? Doesn't look like a toyota, or Dana to me. I gotta look at it closer soon. -----Metalguy

Likewise.  Most mechanical I can figure out easily,  just would rather use a transfer case that it is set up for.  I suspect that the old one had an issue, and it was parked all those years ago.  -------Metalguy

• Like 1

Front isn't Toyota. Yours is likely Jeep just like the 620 conversions.

What engine again??? I would look for a 720 T100 divorced transfer case. it doesn't mate to the engine so anything can be fitted to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/im7qex4c9a5hhbz2daxrc/20240511_113930.jpg?rlkey=ejfkd15hjpevhewykfa34skjg&st=h4ouy216&dl=0

Here is a pic of the bottom of the front diff, and the numbers on it. It could be a Dana, but I don't know 4X4 stuff, so if I can get help I.D. -ing it, that would be great. I did find a divorced transfer case from an old 80's 720 for sale near me, would that work?? Fabbing mounts are not an issue, I just want something that will work. I will look for an early divorced T-100 while I'm at it. --------Metalguy

First facebook doesn't work for me. At my age I ain't starting now.

What engine is in it? How was the missing transfer case connected to the transmission

image.thumb.jpeg.a3c62cfc05cef3664a7f3fe7cb614963.jpeg

Sure does. Some time around '82 or 83 the flanges and driveshaft were made larger. The T-100 has a 2.074 low range ratio. They were always paired with a wide ratio 4 or optional 5 speed till '83 when they were all 5 speeds. We did not get an automatic and there were no diesel 4x4s

Awesome. Picking it up tomorrow. I got the old truck to start today, and it sounds really good, especially for having sat outside here in the PNW for 33 years. at least the air cleaner was on for most of that time, so no water in the oil, except condensation. I threw a weber carb on it, and it started right up, after installing an ok battery. It has plenty of wiring issue, and I just ran a hot wire to the coil to get it running, after finding a bad coil, and gapping the points that would barely open. I pre-lubed the cylinder walls the night before, and turned it over by hand a few times to coat the cylinder walls. Tomorrow I'll be figuring out what all is wrong with the wiring, and start cleaning the interior. Still tons to do, but a great start so far. Thanks for all the help, as although I'm not new to old cars, or Datsuns (Had a 521, and two 240z's), There is plenty I don't know about 4 wheel drive components! ----------Metalguy 

• Like 1