Datsun 521 4X4 Project

15 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Ok, I see now that it is an open knuckle D30 (dana 30). The locking hub in the grainy pic looked like a Toyota, but it's one of the old Jeep style bolt on Warn locking hubs. Probably a Jeep axle.

If this is like mine was, it will have dana 44 flat top knuckles to convert it to 6-lug and the datsun drum brakes adapted to the spindles. 

Metalguy, if your pics are less than 4mb you should be able to upload directly to the forums through the post function. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll need to go through the brakes too. Zero pedal. I have to determine what kind of wheel cylinders it has. Would a set up with the Dana axle use the stock brake cylinders? That would make life easier. I already ordered a master for brakes, and clutch, and a slave for the clutch, but held off on wheel cylinders as I have no idea what the fronts are using. Maybe I'll take off a drum, and post pics here so hopefully they can be identified. --------Metalguy

I really want to post pics, but can't seem to get them to just post, either from a device, or from dropbox, other than it just being a link. I made an imagur account, but can't seem to figure that mess out either. I guess I'm old, and don't understand it as yet. I'm going to try some samples, so please bear with me.-------Metalguy

These were all copy and paste links from dropbox. And I'm on a stupid MAC, so it is command c, command v, but same same, I think. I chose the share function in dropbox, then copied/pasted the links here, but they still just show up as links? No voodoo happens for me, lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3spzgazc1u3vt3ena8a24/20240511_090711.jpg?rlkey=s2hfn7hcxlpnto6yrylfd52w6&st=xnbets01&dl=0

1 minute ago, Metalguy said:

These were all copy and paste links from dropbox. And I'm on a stupid MAC, so it is command c, command v, but same same, I think. I chose the share function in dropbox, then copied/pasted the links here, but they still just show up as links? No voodoo happens for me, lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3spzgazc1u3vt3ena8a24/20240511_090711.jpg?rlkey=s2hfn7hcxlpnto6yrylfd52w6&st=xnbets01&dl=0

I dont know mac myself but if you paste a link, it comes up a link.  Try the right click thing.  I havent used a mac since elementary skool but i seem to remember two mouse buttons. lol

• Like 1

If you have a program on Mac that allows you to take a screenshot, especially if it allows you to draw a box around whatever you want to capture you can use that. That's how I typically post pictures. I use the Windows snipping tool and just draw the box around the image I want to capture, the snipping tool copies that image, and then  I simply paste into my post like below.

image.thumb.png.8f62db6dc3477fdf108a05ca9b86d0bf.png

• Like 2

Interesting project and sweet truck.  I am likely going to convert my 620 to 4x4 here in Australia using Patrol axles and datsun transfer case.  Beauty of the divorced case you can find a Datsun or Dana or Toyota and then its just having the right flanges etc for the driveshafts.

• Like 1

Considering that the front axle on a Jeep normally uses 5 lug hubs, I am going to guess that there is a certain amount of mix/match going on with your front brakes, so unless you can post a pic of the actual drum, backing plate and wheel cylinder, there's no way on earth I can help identify the parts.

There are cheap disc brake upgrades for early Jeep fronts. They use a bolt on caliper bracket that sandwiches the spindle onto the knuckle. I don't see the kit I use anywhere online, but I buy them from http://partsmike.com/

Again, with your 6 lug hubs, who knows if it is a modified Jeep hub or what. If it is a modified Jeep hub, then maybe the disc brake kit will bolt on. You would obviously have to drill the rotor for 6 lugs, but with some careful measuring, you can do that at home on your drill press.

Or... as redeye said, install a pair of flat top D44 knuckles and use Cherokee or Chevy truck outers.

• Like 1

I'll try to find time to get a drum off the front and....post pics of what I have. I appreciate the help, guys. I suck at computers, and am much better at mechanical things. I have been an aerospace machinist, and certified Aircraft welder for over  30 years, so fabbing stuff is up my alley. This truck is gonna be a blast. ------Metalguy

• Like 1

20240512_191303.jpgHey, I got one to work!  Thanks again, Powderfinger! I tried the screenshot/paste thing. In this pic, I had removed the saddleblanket seat cover, and fount the original underneath. I have seen much, much worse. Oh, and I found out this has a 5 speed in it, too.------Metalguy

That definitely looks like a Jeep hub. An early one based on the fact that the locking hub bolts on with the large visible bolts.  The brakes could be Datsun, based on the aluminum wheel cylinder. Do you see any markings on the wheel cylinder? Like Nabco?

Also look for casting names on the brake drum itself. Sometimes they are cast inside the drum, sometimes on the outside.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports