1990 D21 Inter button

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit. I found out it is not a locking diff, it is for starting the engine without depressing the clutch. Why would I want to start the engine without depressing the clutch?

Supposedly you can get more torque to the wheels by starting the truck in gear. Its so if you're out wheeling and get stuck, the extra torque can hopefully get you unstuck.  

• Like 3

It would be turning the wheels with the starter basically. Less chance to over power and spin them.

My '70 Dart had a clutch interlock. I got rid of it. Figured it was for pussies and if ever you stalled and could not restart you could still move the car out of an intersection or RR tracks with the starter.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It would be turning the wheels with the starter basically. Less chance to over power and spin them.

My '70 Dart had a clutch interlock. I got rid of it. Figured it was for pussies and if ever you stalled and could not restart you could still move the car out of an intersection or RR tracks with the starter.

Seems like a product designed and installed by companies who hold stock in remanufactured, rebulit, and replacement Nissan D21 starters

Rock crawling. Slow cranking, yes, but sometimes pushing the clutch pedal introduces a dangerous situation. If you're pointing uphill and the motor dies, then you push the clutch in to start, A - you've just unsettled the balance of the vehicle, which could cause problems, and B - you now have to slip the clutch like mad to get rolling, which is also dangerous and hard on equipment, and C- to get started on a steep hill with the clutch, you need three feet to work all the pedals.

My Rover has a separate starter button so I can crank the motor without starting it.

• Like 1