Joecar

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

This is a Z24i or fuel injection intake with a carburetor on it?

Yea… I’m still on the look for the EFI and I think I got someone selling me one soon hopefully.

crazy thing is before this carb, it had a FORD carb on it. My grandpa replaces the EFI cause it was misting so he had another guy replace it and unfortunately he didn’t ask for the old one back

That’s crazy what people can do to these trucks. The fuel pump got switched to an electric one now I can’t have the truck in accessory mode or the pump will just continue to pump gas

9 hours ago, Joecar said:

That’s crazy what people can do to these trucks. The fuel pump got switched to an electric one now I can’t have the truck in accessory mode or the pump will just continue to pump gas

I think they always had an electric pump but it would have been switched for a lower psi pump.....

There should also be a factory relay controlling the pump.... I believe its senses the alternator and possibly oil pressure to activate....

So they probably bypassed that....

You could try to fix the factory wiring or get a oil pressure fuel cuttoff switch... 

Then the pump will activate as long as you have oil pressure....

10 hours ago, Joecar said:

The fuel pump got switched to an electric one now I can’t have the truck in accessory mode or the pump will just continue to pump gas

I went through this when converting my z24i to a weber. Since your truck is the z24i, if I remember correctly the ECU senses the crank angle sensor and as long as it is getting a signal from that it grounds the fuel pump relay so the fuel pump will come on. (Don't hold me to this, it's been a while since I went through the wiring diagram).

Because of this if you convert to carb and ditch the crank angle sensor for a standard vacuum advance distributor from a carb engine you will need to ground the fuel pump relay yourself. Otherwise the fuel pump will not run, it may come on for a second when you first turn the key but it won't run long. Best to do this through an oil pressure switch for safety.

I have heard these z24i engines will run fine with a carb if you leave the stock crank angle sensor. Something about the ECU going into some sort of default mode. If the crank angle sensor is still there then the fuel pump should work fine as is unless the relay went bad and someone did some questionable "fixes" to get it running.

Edited by powderfinger
  • Like 1

The oil pressure sender is 'open' when there is pressure and 'closed contacts' when below about 8 psi to turn the light on. You can get this to work with a 720 headlight relay which has a normally closed and a normally open contacts. This relay will open the normally closed contacts when the coil is activated. Pump only runs when there is oil pressure. The starter is quite capable of providing enough oil pressure when cranking to turn the pressure switch on.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:45 PM, Joecar said:

This is the one I found at a junkyard but was missing the injectors 

image.jpg

These injectors might be your huckleberry, if given the "good to go" by the Ratsun Brain Trust

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1987,d21+pickup,2.4l+l4,1210857,fuel+&+air,fuel+injector,6224

This is for rebuild service

Edited by frankendat
15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I hear the D21 Z24i injectors are different from the 720 Z24i injectors. Just check they interchange.

I found the efi on a 86 D21 at pick a part, is it just the injectors that are different or just the injectors

Posted (edited)

Also the guy who put in the carb had to advance the timing for it to work so maybe I could get it to work with those injectors. Went to smog today and it failed miserably as expected

Edited by Joecar
36 minutes ago, frankendat said:

These injectors might be your huckleberry, if given the "good to go" by the Ratsun Brain Trust

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1987,d21+pickup,2.4l+l4,1210857,fuel+&+air,fuel+injector,6224

This is for rebuild service

Unfortunately I don’t even have them to rebuild. I’m trying to find some but it seems impossible 

21 minutes ago, Joecar said:

Unfortunately I don’t even have them to rebuild. I’m trying to find some but it seems impossible 

I have two carbs from Z24's. One has Z22 marked on the side (pic) both look like the other pic from the top. 

Z24carb1_25.jpg

Z24carb2_25.jpg

31 minutes ago, Joecar said:

Found! Double check fitment, I would call them, but the numbers sync up (if no one has screwed up the numbers) https://www.clarksdiscount.com/GBI/Remanufactured-Throttle-Body-Injector/841-17103

• Like 1

https://www.gbreman.com/products-all

If the "clarkdiscount.com" folks are not helpful, then the link above gives you the company who makes the injectors. I found the correct injectors in their online catalog, but didn't find a ordering hub (They would also merit a call and if they don't sell them retail they should be able to provide leads). I can't imagine with the links provided and some phone calls that you will not be set, but as a last super pain in the ass option, the gbreman site lists the specifications of the T/B Nissan injector and searching for injectors with the same specifications can lead to different applications that utilizes the same injector. 

7 minutes ago, Joecar said:

Thank you appreciate the help I hope i can get them relatively soon

There is the possibility for bullshit, I found one website that lists a different injector part number for an 86 Nissan vs 87 Nissan (all the above links are for 87) It may come down to what month the truck with the manifold you have was manufactured or it might mean nothing at all. If it all goes to hell, those two carbs pictured above are/were on Z24's, not sure either work, but you could have one for the cost of shipping.

16 hours ago, frankendat said:

Found! Double check fitment, I would call them, but the numbers sync up (if no one has screwed up the numbers) https://www.clarksdiscount.com/GBI/Remanufactured-Throttle-Body-Injector/841-17103

GB website redirected me to Rock auto R&R site so now my only hope is Clark’s, sent an email and I’ll give them a call soon

1 minute ago, Joecar said:

GB website redirected me to Rock auto R&R site so now my only hope is Clark’s, sent an email and I’ll give them a call soon

Rats, I thought GB would be able to square you away, since they are listed as the ones who supply them to the various resellers (like Rock auto) Did GB clarify any distinction between the 86 and 87 injectors?

1 minute ago, Joecar said:

Another thing that’s bothering me is the handbrake light illuminating when the handbrake isn’t even engaged. What would fix this issue

IMG_3675.jpeg

Bad wire connection and when dealing with wire connections 99% of the time it is the ground. Refer to the FSM and locate the wire for the light