Various things I'm looking for to restore a truck I'm taking to college

Joecar

Anyone know where I could find the hood release handle? Mines broken and I have to use a pair of pliers to grab it and pull it. Do they sell just the handle or do I have to replace the whole cable assembly? Thanks

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to replace the whole assembly.I found one on Ebay that was like new for 20 bucks. There is one on Ebay from Thailand for 28.75.The one I bought was a oem one.If you want me to,I will search and see if I can find you a good Nissan oem used one.When Nissan had them,they were 76.59.I just posted on one of my connections for a oem hood release cable in great shape.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
33 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

You have to replace the whole assembly.I found one on Ebay that was like new for 20 bucks. There is one on Ebay from Thailand for 28.75.The one I bought was a oem one.If you want me to,I will search and see if I can find you a good Nissan oem used one.When Nissan had them,they were 76.59.I just posted on one of my connections for a oem hood release cable in great shape.

One from eBay should be fine, Doesn’t have to be OEM just enough to get me by

I have a set of stock mirrors from an '84 720 and a set of stock mirrors from a '90 D21. If the Ratsun brain trust will tell us if they will work for you, then there are deals to be made. 

I have a reply for a nissan one.He just sent me a video of it.He will let me know how much.I just tried to send the video here,but it won't let me.He wants 60 which shipping is included.He is in California.Let me know asap.He is waiting.Okay.Kewl.I told him no,and someone else has one for 50,but they probably want shipping.We'll I tried.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You want  April '85-'86.5 build date 720 Z24i injectors. Anything after '86.5 is a D21 Hardbody.

Do they sell them online or is it only something you come across at a junkyard? I found a truck that’s has it but it’s a 86 D21 and a V6

Just now, Joecar said:

Do they sell them online or is it only something you come across at a junkyard? I found a truck that’s has it but it’s a 86 D21 and a V6

Found this but not sure if it’s the correct one

IMG_3467.jpeg

1 hour ago, ElliotV said:

That looks right I would see if you can find a listing for a 85 and see if it has the same part number. It says 720 on that one so probably is correct.

Didn’t see it said rebuild and return so I’m going to have to find it somewhere else

So my catalytic converter is clogged and I don’t have a lot to spend on a new one and just need a new set up in general cal my muffle and pipes are rotted. Any suggestions on a good exhaust set up?

On 4/7/2024 at 8:10 PM, ElliotV said:

I would see if you can find a listing for a 85 and see if it has the same part number.

There were no 85 models with a throttle body. To my knowledge that only existed in the 86 year model and only in the ST trim package.

16021-89W00 is the correct injector.

It was available April '85 and on build dates. Usually June/July is the end/start of the model years but my info shows the '86 model year began in May '85 although there were a few left over '85 reg cab long wheelbase and some king cabs that month  The last '86, car number 351280, rolled off the NMM (Nissan Motor Manufacturing) line in Smyrna Tenn. in 11 '85 or roughly half way through the '86 model year and the D21 started immediately after.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Joecar said:

So my catalytic converter is clogged and I don’t have a lot to spend on a new one and just need a new set up in general cal my muffle and pipes are rotted. Any suggestions on a good exhaust set up?

If it's a CA registered truck, then it needs to have the correct cat or it will not pass. And the cat is required to go in the same place as the original.

Size matters. I'd go 1/4" larger or even more. 2" diameter exhaust on a 2.4L motor is about perfect. If it has a bigger cam or other performance mods, then 2.25" or even 2.5" would work.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

It was available April '85 and on build dates. Usually June/July is the end/start of the model years but my info shows the '86 model year began in May '85 although there were a few left over '85 reg cab long wheelbase and some king cabs that month  The last '86, car number 351280, rolled off the NMM (Nissan Motor Manufacturing) line in Smyrna Tenn. in 11 '85 or roughly half way through the '86 model year and the D21 started immediately after.

Yep, and I always tell everyone if you have an 86 720 always enter the 85 model year when searching for parts otherwise you are likely to get D21 parts. Of course that wouldn't work for z24i trucks if ordering anything FI related. I just learned a year or so ago that using 85 720 doesn't always work, actually even using 720 doesn't always work lol. In order to get the correct U-joints for the middle and rear drive shaft I had to order the ones that fit the 86 D21. Also I "think" the trucks made in the Tennessee plant may have had different U-joints than trucks made elsewhere. This applies to 86 model only I believe.

Edited by powderfinger
32 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If it's a CA registered truck, then it needs to have the correct cat or it will not pass. And the cat is required to go in the same place as the original.

Size matters. I'd go 1/4" larger or even more. 2" diameter exhaust on a 2.4L motor is about perfect. If it has a bigger cam or other performance mods, then 2.25" or even 2.5" would work.

For now could I just clean the inside? I saw that you could unclog it by soaking it in soapy water or just pressure was the inside

• Like 1

My cat came apart.Got rid of it.I live in Georgia.Being clogged can cause your head gasket to blow,it did mine.The gasket blowed at cylinder 3 and 4 and toasted the 3 and 4 exhaust spark plugs.Mike does not believe this lol.Something causes the head gasket to blow.He put the head gasket on and started it and the noise was still there.He took the exhaust off at cat and seen that cat came apart on the exit side,other side looked good.He showed it to.me

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

My cat came apart.Got rid of it.I live in Georgia.Being clogged can cause your head gasket to blow,it did mine.The gasket blowed at cylinder 3 and 4 and toasted the 3 and 4 exhaust spark plugs.Mike does not believe this lol.Something causes the head gasket to blow.He put the head gasket on and started it and the noise was still there.He took the exhaust off at cat and seen that cat came apart on the exit side,other side looked good.He showed it to.me

Oh I believe the head gasket blew, and I believe that the Cat was toast too, but that's a common problem on the Z24 to blow head gaskets even with good cats anyway. If you stick a banana in the tail pipe and block the exhaust exit, it will continue running until the pressure gets to the point that it can't pump more in and it quits.

• Like 2

My engine started to develop this large screeching sound from one of the pulleys. I replaced the idler on the right side and it fixed it for a few days and then it stated again. It only happens when the truck first starts and when I apply the throttle. Not sure if it’s the ac compressor, or power steering pump