Various things I'm looking for to restore a truck I'm taking to college

Joecar

Have a look at the alternator belt.

I used to use a bar of Sunlight soap for belt dressing. Sunlight was a really hard soap not like the sissy stuff today. It was used in art class for carving.

• Like 1
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a rubber wheel that will fit an electric drill. I also used a heat gun with this to warm and soften. Takes patience but works without harming the paint underneath.

Take them and get  rebalanced,have the weights put on the inside of the rims,then clean up where they were.Balancing on the outside will ruin your rims.Look ugly too.Here are mine.Also mine are black and that would piss me off if they put them on the outside,mess up the paint.I remind them everytime I take to get balanced.Same as my wife's rims.Her's are chrome.

20231223_170041.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
2 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Take them and get  rebalanced,have the weights put on the inside of the rims,then clean up where they were.Balancing on the outside will ruin your rims.Look ugly too.Here are mine.Also mine are black and that would piss me off if they put them on the outside,mess up the paint.I remind them everytime I take to get balanced.Same as my wife's rims.Her's are chrome.

20231223_170041.jpg

The other option is balance beads pretty sure that is what the previous owner put in mine since I didnt see any weights when I did ball joints and I could hear them in the tire. The nice thing about them is if you get mud all over your wheels it won't throw them out of balance. I was worried I would have issues once I got back on the highway from my camping trip but I had no issues with vibration at all.

received_948805456866388.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

20231223_170041.jpg

Wonder if they would charge me just for that lol I mean I did pay $581 at American tire with the 55,000 mile warranty. I’ll go back and ask them if they could to that instead. Maybe it could have been cause the inside of the wheel was all surface rust but after I got them from the tire shop I blasted it all off

11 minutes ago, Joecar said:

Wonder if they would charge me just for that lol I mean I did pay $581 at American tire with the 55,000 mile warranty. I’ll go back and ask them if they could to that instead. Maybe it could have been cause the inside of the wheel was all surface rust but after I got them from the tire shop I blasted it all off

give it a shot. most places around me say they give free balance and rotation when you buy tires from them. worst case you might pay 75 bucks or something to have it done or whatever they charge. 

• Like 1

Anyone know how much travel the original shocks had on the 4x4 models? Looking to get a new pair as mine are getting worn, I saw some on rough country's website but they all had different ones

REAR

2wd bayonet style from center of eyelet to bottom of body 475mm stroke 190mm

4wd eyelet to eyelet.................................................................. 548mm stroke 220mm

FRONT

2wd bayonet style...................................................................... 106mm stroke

4wd bayonet style...................................................................... 110mm stroke

4 hours ago, Joecar said:

Anyone know how much travel the original shocks had on the 4x4 models? Looking to get a new pair as mine are getting worn, I saw some on rough country's website but they all had different ones

Honestly I wouldn't go with rough country. I put a set of ranchero 5000 on mine(just don't look at the price tag) and man the ride is great nice and smooth

• Like 1

When they get too soft from wear squirt some engine oil on the chrome shaft and take them back and you won't have to argue about their firmness to get them replaced.

• Like 1

Rancho 5000s were my go-to shocks for many years. They are inexpensive and simple, and they are hydraulic. Or at least they used to be. (EDIT - unless they changed, I'm sure they are still hydraulic. It should say in the listing notes)

I have since switched to OME or Bilstein shocks, which are both gas charged.

Difference? Hydraulic shocks are generally softer and smoother, but gas shocks seem to be able to handle quick changes more easily. Gas shocks also add height, while hydraulic shocks do not.

I would use hydraulic shocks on anything that will see off-road use, and gas shocks on trucks where road manner are the chief concern.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports