20” wheels

Montzzz

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks best with stock steelies and the dog dish hub caps. Big diameter rims look awkward where 14s were the norm. But that's just me. What ever tire you select for width make sure the diameter is the same as stock so performance and speedometer are not adversely affected.

Stock 521 tires are 6:00 x 14 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Looks best with stock steelies and the dog dish hub caps. Big diameter rims look awkward where 14s were the norm. But that's just me. What ever tire you select for width make sure the diameter is the same as stock so performance and speedometer are not adversely affected.

Stock 521 tires are 6:00 x 14 

What does 6:00 x 14 means?

1 hour ago, Montzzz said:

What does 6:00 x 14 means?

It was a style of identifying tire sizes up till '70. My '64 Dodge (in '69) had 7:75 X 14s. My new '70 Dart had E70 X 14 tires and in 1980 it changed yet again to P metric.

6:00 X 14 I think are 26" diameter but find out. 

11 hours ago, Montzzz said:

On what?

On the 6x14.... I thought it was the rim at first ... then remembered as Mike has said it's the older tire sizing....

As to putting 20s that's definitely up to you.... I have seen 18s which look big already, so 20s will be huge..... 

Try starting with a tire size calculator....

Compare what you have to a 20 and see if you can find a tire that's close to your current diameter tire...

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Once you have a tire that fits, make a cardboard template of the outside tire diameter and place it on the hub...

Use this to measure for clearances and back spacing of the rim....

I suppose you could put one template on then the current rim and tire then another on the outside... that would really give you a real world look....

Check front and back and make sure you turn the front full left to right, and do this at ride height..... 

With the truck on the ground Just measure up to the centerline of the wheel, take the wheel off then jack under the control arm to put the hub back to the correct height.... 

Someone on here posted a picture of a 6:00 x 14 and the tape measure was 26". I suppose I could be remembering it wrong. 6;00 x 14 converts to 175/70R14 which is 6.9" wide and 23.65" diameter OR if you want wider 185/65R14 that is 7.25" wide and 23.47" diameter so memory does not add up.

If it is 26" diameter then a similar diameter tire at about 7" wide would be a 235/65R14

The above diameter and width in 20" rim would be 180/40R20 or 185/40R20

Measure your current tire diameter.

I picked up some factory 20’s for my Armada recently and put them next to my 521 to see what they would look like. They’re almost as big as my 14’s WITH tires:

Y6x3cUW.jpeg

Edited by mainer311
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

I picked up some factory 20’s for my Armada recently and put them next to my 521 to see what they would look like. They’re bigger than my 14’s WITH tires:

Y6x3cUW.jpeg

Has the look of a donk.....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
On 2/4/2024 at 12:13 PM, Montzzz said:

I will like to learn the pros and cons of running 20” wheels on a 521. And with what tires?
Have you done it? It’s nonsense? Looks good looks bad?

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. To get them to fit "properly" you would need to do some work inside the fender well, on both front and rear. Or you would need to find a 20" wheel with the perfect offset to fit the Datsun.

• Like 1

20" IMHO is way to big, I have 17" up front and 18" in back for the type of application i am doing. For me it was more about tire choice (width) and style I am doing. Titan wheels in California are so over done. There is a decent selection of 6 lug wheels. Stock wheels are very cool but there just that stock. So for custom stuff most 6 lug wheels have big center bore due to 4X4 selection on mainly Toyota (hubs) who was smart to do 5 lug on there 2 wheel drive trucks. These trucks are just stupid with 6 lug which is why I went 5 lug.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 1:41 AM, mrbigtanker said:

20" IMHO is way to big, I have 17" up front and 18" in back for the type of application i am doing. For me it was more about tire choice (width) and style I am doing. Titan wheels in California are so over done. There is a decent selection of 6 lug wheels. Stock wheels are very cool but there just that stock. So for custom stuff most 6 lug wheels have big center bore due to 4X4 selection on mainly Toyota (hubs) who was smart to do 5 lug on there 2 wheel drive trucks. These trucks are just stupid with 6 lug which is why I went 5 lug.

NIce, how you went 5 lug?