A new adventure!

MrShuford

The 620 does have a boxed frame but it's a one piece with a welded seam half way up on the inside. My '78 rotted away along that weld (unseen) till the front leaf spring mount detached. That '79 is 45 years old. Probably in better shape because not driven daily but still....

The same H 190 axle/differential/springs were used on the 1,000Kg/2,200 pound payload 520. (perhaps with an extra leaf but he rest is the same) The later 521/620 was reduced to half that but it's still not a breaking point. You should be able to carry 1,100 pounds of camper and contents. I would make damn sure that weight was centered over the axle the same as carrying a load on a towed trailer.

• Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/10/2023 at 4:58 AM, datzenmike said:

The L520 and L521 (J13) were rated at 1,000 Kg or 2,200 pound payload. The PL521 (L16) was half that but I suspect the same springs were used just the paperwork was altered.

All 620s are rated at 500KG (1,100 pounds) and the '79 E code Cab/Chassis is deliberately not listed. The Cab/Chassis option has no box and was for commercial use where a custom work box, flatbed or camper was intended to be installed. It would have upgraded springs, cooling system and only came with a 4 speed. It was the only '79 other than automatics to have the 4.375 differential. The axle, other than gearing, is identical to all other 620s.

The '80-'82 720 E code Heavy Duty (Cab/Chassis) were all rated at 770Kg or 1,700 pounds payload. From '82 and on there was a single tire H-190 (700Kg/1,546 pounds) and from '83 on a dual tire C-200 770Kg/1,700 pounds available. I suspect the C-200 had the floating axle but the guy to talk to is wayno.

Down under they are rated for 1000kg payload 💪

• Like 2

Yes. Here mostly for light use not for construction, there are certainly more qualified trucks for that. Licensing is based on payload capacity so with the stroke of a pen it was reduced to 500Kg stating with the '70 PL521 . I had a 521 (500Kg payload) and several times carried close to a ton, no problem, well... the tires were squashed.

• Like 2

Thicker side wall flex less and don't generate heat. Heat kills tires. Stock 620 tires were 6 ply but likely replaced with something much softer because the ride is terrible rough.

It'll be fine but know you are approaching your limits carrying that camper so inspect at every gas stop. This isn't a commuter daily driver. It needs to be managed.

• Like 1

At the very minimum, I'd get some load range E tires (they've changed how they rate tires now, so not necessarily E rated), and some air bags. Oh, and some gas shocks.

Be careful how much weight you load in the camper, and as Mike said, load it to the front of the camper.

Things have changed over the decades and overlanding vehicle manufacturers are building them to be tough and safe. When this little trucklette was built, the only thing they thought about was making the camper fit. Sure, they got it to fit. Looks good in sales lit! That's as far as they went.

I would love to get my hands on this rig. With some steel, a different rear axle and some suspension parts, this rig could be transformed inside of a month.

• Like 1

All VG powered D21 Hardbody and WD21 Pathfinders had them. Probably Xterras. WD21s had LSD and rear disc option, I think D21s only had the LSD option. 4.625 and 4.375 ratios and four pinion shafts. The H-233 is slightly larger than the Ford 9"

• Like 3
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

All VG powered D21 Hardbody and WD21 Pathfinders had them. Probably Xterras. WD21s had LSD and rear disc option, I think D21s only had the LSD option. 4.625 and 4.375 ratios and four pinion shafts. The H-233 is slightly larger than the Ford 9"

The Early Xterras had H233 with larger 31 spline axles. They have a lot less bracketry to cut off or deal with compared to a WD21 axle. They do have a lower breakaway torque, but can be repacked just like the WD21. 

• Like 1

I've heard this also. In '94 the LSD clutch discs in the Pathfinder dropped from 32 to 12.The brake away was dropped to something like 28 ft lbs.... a joke but great for soccer mom's who don't like the chirping tires turning out on the road from practice.   

• Like 1
On 12/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, datzenmike said:

I've heard this also. In '94 the LSD clutch discs in the Pathfinder dropped from 32 to 12.The brake away was dropped to something like 28 ft lbs.... a joke but great for soccer mom's who don't like the chirping tires turning out on the road from practice.   

There's another area where low breakaway pressure is still an improvement - dirt roads. I don't mean traction in loose situations, but driving straight down any dirt road. You ever drive a dirt or gravel road and hit those annoying ripples that make your teeth chatter? If all cars/trucks driving down this road had limited slip differentials, these ripples wouldn't be there.

Under low throttle input, the LSD keeps the tires more or less locked, and doesn't give them a chance to spin independently. So even if it's 28, or 12 as you say, it's better than an open diff.

Even with the coil overs, those little leaf springs have gone full soggy bottom boys. Raising it back up would lift that massive overhang a bit too. Also a good idea to add heavy front and rear sway bars for greater stability in corners and strong cross winds. See link below for an example. Another thing to consider is adding leveling jacks at all for corners to flatten your rig on uneven camp sites. 

I'm a woodworking super freak, so if you have any questions for cabinet design, fabrication/building, or cool hardware and light material options just let me know and I'm all in to help.

https://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=39&Itemid=125

• Like 2