A new adventure!

MrShuford

Look on the engine tag, located on the left or driver's side inner fender, above the coil. A camper conversion company would have (should have) ordered a Cab/Chassis option that comes without the box. Cab/Chassis is an E code. The top of the engine tag would say EHL 620 XXXXX. If not a Cab/Chassis then the camper is on a regular set of truck springs.

• Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The driver's door one has been removed and the conversion sticker applied. The engine tag should be riveted on the left inner fender near the coil.

For the '78 model year Cab/Chassis production numbers are 310,001 to 375,000 so if the bottom number on your sticker is the old car number then  323,850 is well within that range.

• Like 2
On 12/31/2023 at 7:04 AM, datzenmike said:

Look on the engine tag, located on the left or driver's side inner fender, above the coil. A camper conversion company would have (should have) ordered a Cab/Chassis option that comes without the box. Cab/Chassis is an E code. The top of the engine tag would say EHL 620 XXXXX. If not a Cab/Chassis then the camper is on a regular set of truck springs.

So when I went to DMV they looked at the stamp on the frame and it had the "E". Would that be the same?

On 1/12/2024 at 8:08 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did it pass emissions testing?

Yes! Registration is now behind me. That is a huge relief!

• Like 4

This rv has a 4 speed manual and I have a 5 speed I can put in. What are the pros and cons. Should I just leave the 4, will it change the speedo? 

• Like 1

The 5 speed was never offered on the 620 Cab/Chassis. The L20B just doesn't have the torque to effectively use a 5 speed plowing all that air at highway speeds. In fact the Z22 720 didn't either and five speeds were only available on the '83 and up Z24 powered Cab/Chassis.

I guess you could try it but it may not be able to maintain highway cruise speeds.

• Like 1