one wire alternator

Tommy Dat

Good evening All, 

I replaced my '77 200sx alternator with a '78 alternator with internal regulator.  I am still having issues with the battery holding a charge (recently had the battery tested at parts store and it was good).  I have been stranded a few times when the car will not start (voltage meter shows very low volts).  tonight the lights are very dim inside and out.  I am considering installing a one-wire alternator.  Is there a recommended brand/model?  others with success converting?  If these questions are answered in other threads please provide link.

thanks very much

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Likely the choke heater relay is still on. On my 710s both conversions to internally regulated alternators will unfortunately wire the choke heater relay on at all times. Now the power to the choke is off with the ignition, but the relay coil is still active. It's like leaving a small drain on the battery. I noticed that over a weekend the battery was low, a long weekend and you couldn't start the car Monday. Disconnecting the relay works but then the choke heater doesn't do it's job.

On the carburetor at the back are two wires, a Blue one for the choke heater and a Red one (may have a black sheath covering) for the idle cut solenoid. Join the Blue wire to the Red wire and it is now on a separate power supply that turns off with the ignition. Unplug the old choke heater.

I did a Weber conversion.  The only wire I have connected to the carburetor is a red wire.   There are 3 wires that I taped together that do not connect to anything.  (green, bluish green and black).  Trying to upload a pic here but having trouble.  what image host do y'all use?

when I changed the alternator from a 77 to a 78 I removed the external regulator and my buddy used a jumper to bypass the external circuit. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy Dat said:

when I changed the alternator from a 77 to a 78 I removed the external regulator and my buddy used a jumper to bypass the external circuit. 

That would seem correct.

do the test light thing . If you have a radio with a clock it might show up as a drain. but do this and pull fuses or wires going to the carb or those jumpers at the volt reg and see if test light goes out

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

thanks,  just used a multimeter on the battery posts with the engine running-  only 11.35V.  when I turned on several accessory items it dropped to 9.5.  Before doing anything else do I first need to take the alternator to a parts house and have it tested?  This alternator was just purchased a few months ago....ugh

The only other thing that I have noticed is that the fuse for the dash lights was really hot.

15 hours ago, Tommy Dat said:

Good evening All, 

I replaced my '77 200sx alternator with a '78 alternator with internal regulator.  I am still having issues with the battery holding a charge (recently had the battery tested at parts store and it was good).  I have been stranded a few times when the car will not start (voltage meter shows very low volts).  tonight the lights are very dim inside and out.  I am considering installing a one-wire alternator.  Is there a recommended brand/model?  others with success converting?  If these questions are answered in other threads please provide link.

thanks very much

I use a Bosch ALRACE1 in my race car. It is one wire and has a very sturdy, yet compact frame. You would have to come up with some mounting brackets, but it's a very good alternator and may be worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-ALRACE1-0124120006-New-Alternator/dp/B00427PMJQ

image.png.01478312bcb7266f03e242f0a5c0a286.png

I dont see anything.

Maybe the alternator isnt even get turned on energized.

Otherwise take it back to get checked

you running off that battery

if running a few months with it like this already and was fine then most likely the alt is bad.  I only got 8months to 1.5 years with O riley and Autozone alternators and starters on daily dirvers

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

passenger-side-painted.jpg

It has been a project that I thought I had about wrapped up.  I would drive it often during the restoration but here lately I only drive it every several days.   Always something....

I will investigate all the issues that y'all have recommended.   Thanks very much

• Like 1

jumper-wires-200sx.jpg

Update:  I removed the red wire from the choke heater (unplugged it),  added the second jumper wire and charged the battery.   Today,  with the engine off the battery shows 13.6V,  with the engine running the battery shows 14.5V.  The lights are still dim but I have not explored other possibilities for that.  The dash voltmeter now reads 15ish volts when I am driving down the road.  I will drive the car as is and see how it performs.  Should I be concerned that the dash voltmeter is reading high?

thanks again for All of y'alls help with this.

If a voltmeter reads 14.5 at the battery when running you are ok.  I would trust that before trusting the accuracy of the dash gauge.  

Remember to check this with a charged battery.  If the battery is low the system may charge higher to compensate.  Best to always check the performance when the battery is full.

buy soemthing light this for the cig lighter.  The dash gauge is most likely fine.

I have a vesion of this using indication diodes. I can detect a failur coming usually before the ALT light ever comes on. Like draining the batter wwith lights/heater on when driving up to speed Ill see Im not charging just running off the batter till your on side of the road. So as I see it I head home before batt goes bad. Or a weal ALT during day is fine at Night with lights on or at idle not charging above 12.5 volts sign of weak alternator.

PS dont drain the battery either

https://www.amazon.com/12V-24V-Digital-Voltmeter-Vehicle-Motorcycle/dp/B09726J6KQ/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2IHTEOMQ7QKZA&keywords=voltage+alt+tester+cig+lighter&qid=1696867482&sprefix=voltgage+alt+testoer+cug+lighter%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-16