Tips for seized and rounded bolts

Veraciousreasoning

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry about that. I fixed it. Its a bar that runs next to my valve cover that goes to my air pump. Here is a picture of the bolts I'm working with. They are all old, soft, and the second you try to turn it just mushes the metal.  Its the ones with the metal tubes coming out. I've been hitting them with pb blaster every 30-40 minutes or so and I think IPP spray them down and let them soak over night 

IMG_20230914_153733199_HDR.jpg

Edited by Veraciousreasoning

Two options I can think of are (1) if the engine runs, crank it up and get it to operating temperature and then try to remove them. (2) cut the tube’s off and weld up the holes. Sorry, I forgot you have the carburetor off. Cut the tube’s off and use a socket.

Those old line/tube nuts are gonna require heat and that may not work. Manifold needs heated/expanded with a torch, nuts need cooled/shrunk with liquid CO2 and a line wrench used. Best option is prob cut tube off and plug with silicone. Have saw them cut off 2-3" long, mashed flat at the end and folded over and mashed more.

1 hour ago, DwayneOxford said:

Those old line/tube nuts are gonna require heat and that may not work. Manifold needs heated/expanded with a torch, nuts need cooled/shrunk with liquid CO2 and a line wrench used. Best option is prob cut tube off and plug with silicone. Have saw them cut off 2-3" long, mashed flat at the end and folded over and mashed more.

I'm gonna try my best and if not do I do the silicone caps? 

2 hours ago, DwayneOxford said:

Whatever it takes to seal them off. Gonna be exhaust pressure there. Silicone'll prob need replacing occasionly. I'd leave them long and crimp them shut but I'm not concerned with appearance. Those nuts were barely adequate when new, never intended for removal years/miles later.

Yeah seems pretty fucked if you asked me. I'm gonna torch the shit out of them today and see if I cant get them off. I'd prefer to get them off but if not I'll get some caps and crimp them shut. 

• Like 1

Those tubes extend 3-4" down the exhaust port near the valve so best to get them out of there. Get a six point socket, extension and ratchet on it THEN heat around it on the manifold. The socket will keep the hex nut cooler while the manifold heat expands. Then try loosening.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Those tubes extend 3-4" down the exhaust port near the valve so best to get them out of there. Get a six point socket, extension and ratchet on it THEN heat around it on the manifold. The socket will keep the hex nut cooler while the manifold heat expands. Then try loosening.

I'll try it out later today