• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

stick shift is a pretty good one for the younger thieves

the club they can just cut the steering wheel to get off

both of those being said i haven't had any issues with my 620s other then opportunistic crimes on my own property when i didn't have the doors locked so lock the doors

6 hours ago, Sherlock Bill said:

Can anyone recommend a good anti-theft device for a Datsun 620 pickup?

There are so many different devices and alarms on the Internet it makes my head 

spin.

Are you looking for an alarm that's audible or just an anti theft device so they can not steal it?

Viper has always been a good alarm unit...

Maybe get something with a backup battery siren.... that way if they cut the wire to the siren it will still be going off....

The biggest thing is if you have a mechanical fuel pump it doesn't take more that a jumper wire for the coil and a screwdriver for the starter to start the truck.... so having a siren they cannot turn off would be beneficial.... 

If its sitting for a while you could also remove the rotor from the distributor and or install a hidden kill switch.... 

With that being said I might be able to offer you an alarm that would suit your needs for cheap....

It's an older unit but still new....

They are called the Merlin 2000, it's a recreational/ motorcycle alarm.....

I used to install alarms and tried to start a motorcycle alarm business which didn't turn out so well,  so I have some left over inventory.... 

Send me a message if interested...

Theft of vehicle is a crime of opportunity. It's there and easy to steal. Simply lock it every time you get out. EVERY TIME!!!!!! and disable it. Only reason for going to a lot of trouble to steal it is for parts on it. Don't buy $1,000 worth of rims, it's a Datsun FFS!!!

Theft of the vehicle...

A kill switch that interrupts the power to the coil would work for the majority of thieves, but if the thief is really motivated and prepared, given a little time a jumper to the battery would get around that. Better a switch with a wire to the - side of the coil grounding it. No amount of power to the + side of the coil would make it fire. Won't hurt the coil either.

Theft of contents...

Don't leave anything in the vehicle to steal. Leave door unlocked to prevent damage. Leave sign "AM radio don't work" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/6/2023 at 7:46 AM, datzenmike said:

Simply lock it every time you get out. EVERY TIME!!!!!!

On 2/6/2023 at 7:46 AM, datzenmike said:

Leave door unlocked to prevent damage.

Pick a side bro.😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Depends on circumstances. If in WallMart parking lot or any brief stop in public.. leave empty, disabled and lock it. Thief has no time to get it running and steal the car but time to smash and grab any contents. If parked overnight or out of sight leave empty, unlocked and disabled. Thief has time to steal the car so why force him to smash his way in to find out vehicle is disabled?

Disabled by hidden kill switch (battery disconnect with removable key) is good, pulling the rotor is another effective anti-theft method. IMO unless you're going to be nearby, an alarm gets largely ignored by anyone else, people use their car alarms to locate their car in the damn parking lot these days.

Hit n miss on locking the doors. Convertible owners learn to never lock the doors as thieves simply slash the top, resulting in more expensive damage for a simple smash n grab. Can't fully predict what those A-holes will do, I had the side window on my old CJ5 (steel roof option) smashed with nothing to steal, while overnight at hotel.

Base your anti-theft on what you anticipate needing to protect from.

• 2 weeks later...