1972 Datsun 240Z project, aka Paddy

26 minutes ago, shlammed said:

I find that a lot of people suggest wheel diameter size for wheel face clearance of a caliper.  Looks like you lucked out that way with this combo!

It was definitely luck. The way these wheels are built, the spokes are really far away from the wheel mounting face. Downside is, it makes them look like a wimpier offset than they really are, but it means TONS of caliper clearance. 

Between the caliper and the wheel's barrel, it looks like I have at least 1/2" clearance all around. I have not checked the face side yet (need a stunt hub for that), but when I dropped the rotor/caliper in you can tell the rotor is laying flat against the wheel mounting face. So the caliper is either not touching the spokes, or is only barely touching. Meaning worst case I will need a 5mm spacer behind the wheel. 

I am very excited about this. 😁

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, shlammed said:

I find that a lot of people suggest wheel diameter size for wheel face clearance of a caliper.  Looks like you lucked out that way with this combo!

Yes, calipers and wheels spokes are often the issue.

I ordered a custom set of wheels once and the manufacturer "forgot" to cut them for caliper clearance. I had them send me a diagram of the clearance cut from which I made a go/no go gauge, then cut them in the lathe myself. I also got from them a letter stating that all warranties and liabilities were in place, even though I did the machining.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A friend of mine offered to sell me his seats since he was changing them out for something new, so my current Recaros will probably end up in the Dajiban

These new ones are the Sparco SPX. I thought since I will be running a suede Sparco wheel, and Sparco 6pt harnesses, why not get some seats to "match"?  😁

image.jpeg.9e531dadb3724400353a86f794ddb4ec.jpeg

And yes, they are made of real carbon fiber...  🤘

image.jpeg.c27f0f338fe0d8b149262355b452cc96.jpeg

I know this is dumb at this juncture, but the deal was WAY too good to pass up. 👌

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Haven't gotten any serious work done yet, but I think I will soon. Did pick up another piece of the puzzle today...

image.jpeg.3f740ef0b1a3fe3bf765261d495117e8.jpeg

It is a manual steering rack from a 2010 Cobalt. This is what we used on Tim's 1200 project as the width between the inner tie rods is the same as the 240Z rack, so geometry stays within spec.

A few nice benefits are it's aluminum (fair bit lighter than the stock steel rack), and it has a slightly quicker ratio. The ratio of the 240Z rack is 17.8:1 and the Cobalt is 16.6:1. It also has more turns lock-to-lock (3.6 versus 2.7), so this should mean there's potential for a lot more more steering angle. 👍

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

it has a slightly quicker ratio. The ratio of the 240Z rack is 17.8:1 and the Cobalt is 16.6:1. 

Also worth noting, the JDM 240Z steering rack is supposedly 15.5:1 ratio, so I don't think I'm going too far in quickening it a bit. Conventional wisdom is that since the S30 was not going to have power steering, they used a slower rack in USDM cars to make steering effort feel lighter, like the car had assisted steering. 

Gotta love the Japanese. Always dumbing stuff down for us fat, lazy Americans...  😋

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 9:19 AM, shlammed said:

what is the width of the spacing of the inner joint on the cobalt rack?

I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know it is at most 3-4mm wider than the stock rack. Which was close enough for my needs. 

This site claims 610mm for the 240Z, so I would say 612-615mm (roughly 24.0-24.2")?

post-1672-144023573641.jpg

The faster ratio, and the design of the inner tie rod, on the Cobalt rack makes for more turns lock-to-lock. 

moog-ev80445-360-giant-01-14.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It may have more turns lock to lock but the hubs probably have stops that won't let you use all of it.

240Zs do not have those "stop bolts" you see on most Datsuns. You typically only see those on cars with recirculating ball steering boxes, not rack and pinions.  Assuming that's what you meant. If not, maybe? We shall see...  😁

What I did find odd is that FWD cars are notorious for having a crappier turning circle than their RWD counterparts, owing to limitations on how far you can rotate the CV joints "out of alignment". So you'd think the 240Z would have more steering angle, but it doesn't due to (mostly) limitations in the rack itself.  

Edited by datsunfreak

Another FWD limitation comes from the overall width of the transverse FWD engine/trans combo dimensions.  At my former job we had the same vehicle with different turning circles between AT and MT versions due to the much larger packaging space required for the AT box.   Thus different steering racks too.  Talk about build complexity.

• Like 1

After thinking about this way too mcuh, I'm not 100% sure if steering angle will increase or not. I only know two things. The quicker ratio will be better (IMO), and I can measure the actual difference in angle change once I fab the rack mount. 

Even if there is no appreciable change in maximum steering angle, this is the rack I am using, so fuck it. 😁