1972 Datsun 240Z project, aka Paddy

6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Of course the Sunbeam's wheelbase is 4" shorter than a Z, which sounds frightening with that much power... 😄

I've never really driven a Tiger "in anger" but they guys tell me they understeer like a MoFo, generally..

I still like them, though. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I've never really driven a Tiger "in anger" but they guys tell me they understeer like a MoFo, generally..

I can imagine, and probably snap oversteer if you do it wrong. 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I still like them, though. 

Same, but can't help but think I'd like them more with a 4cyl, though... 🙂

Edit: Google says the Alpine is 400 pounds lighter than a Tiger, which seems insane/impossible...

Edited by datsunfreak
5 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Same, but can't help but think I'd like them more with a 4cyl, though... 🙂

My neighbor has an Alpine AND a Tiger.  He hardly ever drives the Tiger at all.  I'm guessing he knows that if it gets wrecked, he might be out a lot of money.  Just a guess on my part, though.

Sorry for rambling off topic in your thread.

We swapped a 20 valve black top into my dad's '65 Sunbeam Alpine a while back. It is a lot lighter than a Tiger and has just as much horsepower. The Sunbeams handle great for a car of that vintage.

He's also got a narrowed AE86 rear axle and Wilwood disc brakes all around.

Swapping a 4 banger into the Z car is a great idea. I've driven them and they handle awesome, but the wow factor of a fire breathing V8 can't be beat.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Swapping a 4 banger into the Z car is a great idea. I've driven them and they handle awesome

I had the chance to drive his S14 before he removed the engine, and it was a ton of fun, and very quick. As my car stands to be almost 500-600 pounds lighter, it shoud be bananas. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I happened to pick these up recently, with no car to put them on, so...  😁

image.thumb.jpeg.47ff83f3cb7e91d62fb3b066f0c1ef61.jpeg

"Unfortunately" the rotors are a whopping 14" in diameter. With the 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers that I have, StopTech recommends 18" wheels or bigger. Planning to see if they will fit behind the 17s I have picked out for the car, though. Tape measure says maybe...

image.thumb.jpeg.448b603d608140e3e9e7566b8e807abf.jpeg

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

yeah, I'd go big wheels if needed.

And I was leaning towards 17s anyway because I l ike the look of them, but 18s can be dicey. The Zs I've seen with brakes this big and 18s looks a little "cartoonish", but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some nice wide sticky rubber and this thing could detach your retinas under hard braking...  😋

The 17s I have would look something like this, which is already "big" for the car, but I dig it. It looks sinister and purposeful...

image.jpeg.3a8815d00d4b9587327fb8b012bc53c4.jpeg

But 18s can look good, if you pick the right ones, and stuff them full of brakes...

image.jpeg.dfddfcfbbffc31d56f56e40d294e6c32.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If you could keep the sidewall height without having too large of a tire to fit the car, that would be perfect.

The overall diameter of the tires on that gunmetal car are the same as the set I already have. So if they can clear the brakes, I think they will be my starting point. 

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The one reason I dislike giant wheels is the rubberband tires

Same. I want some sidewall, just not a lot (i.e. 15" wheels).

The reason I want to emulate that gray car is two fold. One, I have the tires and wheels already. Two, The PO cut the rear fenders a little too high. The normal ZG flares can't be mounted up that high unless the car is just absolutely slammed. The wide ZG flares (like on that car) can be mounted up as high as I need them to be, but keep a more streetable ride height.

I really just don't want to have to weld in extra metal to suit the "small" ZG flares, if I can help it. A larger diameter tire with bigger flares seems like the most sensible solution to the overcut problem. 👍

• Like 1
On 2/25/2023 at 11:35 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Do a mock-up of the new brakes and see if they fit the wheels you have.

That is the plan, but I need to find some 5-lug Z31 front hubs first. Still working on that. If anyone reading this has a pair...  😁

On 2/25/2023 at 11:35 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It is possible to grind on calipers, but you have to know where and how much. Sometimes a simple wheel spacer will help wheels clear calipers.

Yeah, been there. Once upon a time, on one of my 510s I was able to get a set of 13s to clear ZX brakes with some judicious grinding of the caliper edge and a small spacer. 👍

These are really pretty though...  😄

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

I was talking to a friend in another state last week and mentioned what project I was working on and he said, "hey, I still have a good amount of 240Z spares in my attic, do you need anything?". To which I said, "got any tail lights?" 😄

image.jpeg.dfcbb96db243541e0a18c66ea302210c.jpeg

Not perfect, but should be fine for what I am doing. One is obviously missing the trim strip, but I don't like those much anyway. I'll probably replace that with a piece of carbon fiber when the time comes. Now I just need to find the metal cover plates for the back end. Or buy this...  😋

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, datsunfreak said:

With the 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers that I have, StopTech recommends 18" wheels or bigger. Planning to see if they will fit behind the 17s I have picked out for the car, though. Tape measure says maybe...

Well, the tape measure was not wrong. 😁

These are the 17s I reposessed from the Galaxie project for the 240Z...

image.jpeg.8d6149e2d98141ea650c8a48c7db8d32.jpeg

Flipped one over and inserted a front rotor and caliper. They not only fit, but with room to spare. I have at least a finger's width gap all around the caliper...

image.jpeg.18e33f2e53dc21f6899ff552566c6671.jpeg

• Like 2