411 Sedan

Im picking up a 411 Sedan but wanted to know if a 510 rear suspension could be retrofitted in the 411 for better handling. Not sure if that is possible but just wanted to get some feedback on that. I'd like to put in a larger engine like is found in the SSS models of the 411. Im even thinking of putting in a 5 speed if possible as well. I plan on restoring the vehicle and either keeping it a gas vehicle or converting it to a hot electric conversion. 

Pete

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it would be cheaper to just buy a 510. I didn't really have what you'd call an end goal. Just inquiring if it can be done. After looking at a 510 rear suspension and how it's all put together I'd assume the answer would be, not easily anyway. The 411 will be a daily street driver. No track stuff or anything like that. I do plan on lowering it running narrow tires so they tuck under the fenders properly. Not concerned with fat tires. That just causes more drag on the whole system. Might be a nice candidate for an Electric Conversion. 

10 hours ago, onegreenev said:

Im picking up a 411 Sedan but wanted to know if a 510 rear suspension could be retrofitted in the 411 for better handling. Not sure if that is possible but just wanted to get some feedback on that. I'd like to put in a larger engine like is found in the SSS models of the 411. Im even thinking of putting in a 5 speed if possible as well. I plan on restoring the vehicle and either keeping it a gas vehicle or converting it to a hot electric conversion. 

Pete

Finding a RL411 engine is chancy.  It is factory modified from the original roadster engine in order to fit the very short 411 engine compartment, A straight roadster 1600 engine is too long!!  In addition, the left front fender inner sheet metal must be modified to fit the exhaust.  The exhaust piping is different and will have to be custom made in today's world.  As to the 510 IRS, Why?  Tires are a problem, 13 inch tires are very hard to find.  Narrow tires are pretty much all you can finally find. You must special order them and wait while the dealer finds 4 tires that match.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Relative strength in a differential is (more or less) set by the ring gear diameter. The larger the diameter the more metal in the individual tooth. The 510's R-165 will be 'weaker' than the stock 411's H-190. Stick with the stock axle. IRS are very over rated. 

• Like 1

If you want to see just how much fabrication it takes to do an IRS swap in another Datsun, research the 68-72 510 WAGON IRS swap............there have been a few IRS swaps done.

I sold a complete 510 IRS set up to a local guy PLUS a Sedan (IRS) complete cut out rear floor assembly.  The floor assembly gave him the factory floor pan which allowed all the necessary clearance AND it gave him the four mounting points............two for mustache bar & two for subframe........ no guessing!  He got it done, said it was a tremendous amount of cutting, trimming fitting custom & welding.  Once the floor was in, it was basically a bolt in for the IRS set up.  I'm guessing the most important factor to consider, is the width of the 510 IRS vs the 411 body.  I bet you don't want to try to narrow the 510 IRS! 😖

I have a mostly complete IRS set up that can be used as a CORE to rebuild & install (just old worn out & ugly, no damage), and I'm happy to get a couple quick measurements first to see if it would even be manageable in the 411!  As a "unit", it would be TRUCK FREIGHT.  I do NOT have a floor section. 

If measurements prove to be reasonable, you really should look for a completely worn out wrecked junked 68-72 510 4dr (or 2dr, but not cheap these days in ANY condition!) regionally, so you get all the potential parts necessary AND other 510 parts to sell off to recoup some mulla!  Avoid the Mexican built 4dr 510's, as they are leaf spring solid axle like the USA spec Wagon's..........I see more & more of them for sale here in the USA, especially in CA, cuz of location close to Mexico & they are cheap down there!  A seller of a Mexican 510 does NOT always mention that, so always ask!

TJ

• Like 1

411s are pretty skinny man.

get a banged up 510 sedan and build from there .. even with higher initial investment probably be cheaper in the end . 

BUT,,,,,  i would buy the 411 as it's a funny little car that all the geriatric ladies flock to ..  I have to get gas after 5:30pm to not be chased down by some old mossy back telling me story .

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, angliagt said:

And I'd think  doing that on a 510 wagon,

you'd lose the spare tire carrier underneath.

Yes.  My local buddy likely doesn't give a rats ass about having a spare............his Wagon is a Ratsun at its best! 😎

19 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

BUT,,,,,  i would buy the 411 as it's a funny little car that all the geriatric ladies flock to ..  I have to get gas after 5:30pm to not be chased down by some old mossy back telling me story .

True "My Daddy gave me one of those when I graduated from High School" is the familiar story.