Distributor

tad70

So, I'm looking at changing my distributor out for and electronic one. Are there any better choices out there than HotSparks or Ebay. There is nothing here in the Junkyards in San Antonio, Tx.  Parts stores don't carry new distributors. I'm thinking Hotsparks or Ebay is the only thing available now?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://partsavatar.ca/1979-1980-nissan-b210-remanufactured-distributor-cardone-industries-31-614?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnbmaBhD-ARIsAGTPcfW4hjXlChqKXJG7QCfahgIx4nHDgNw7i7jcerFL554FUsUm-Ud_iqcaAmyDEALw_wcB

You're going to pay $150 for a PerTronix anyway and you don't get higher output so might as well get this. You will need the high output matching coil for it such as a '78-'80 car or truck that has an L20B. Remove the ballast resistor and connect power directly to the coil and EI module...

ZOkbBht.jpg

take a photo of inside your distributor. If a single point you might be able to use a Pertronix conversion.

The Hotspark is Chinese and one guy used one and seemed to work for him. You use the stock coil and ballast resisitor. But since they sell one Hotspark they is a few different timing mounts so I dont know what exactly is bolt in and ones you have to mod. The timing plate slot.

You can try it out and let us know but if you post a photo we can tell you

An other option if your super thrifty (cheap) like me is to make your own: 

As I mentioned a few years back - if you are at all mechanically inclined, you can try the Velleman K2543 Electronic Ignition Kit.

I built one many years ago for my '73 610 and it totally solved all my issues with points/dwell needing to be fiddled with, permanently.... 

These utilize the stock distributor and single set of points, but they never wer-out or get hot (eventually the spring on the points will weaken.) 

If you go this route I suggest get the waterproof enclosure and use standard 4-wire Trailer Plugs for the connectors. Run wires long and mount inside say on the kick panel.

The kit comes with an aluminum heat sink too.

This is like the old Heath Kits, so be ready to do little soldering.....

Vicdat

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Pertronix can work with dual point distributor too. I've done it, but I don't remember what needs to be modified. I think it's just that the wiring needs to go out of the distributor in a different direction.

I think it's a little more than that... I forgot what but I thought something didnt fit properly either...

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, vicdat said:

An other option if your super thrifty (cheap) like me is to make your own: 

As I mentioned a few years back - if you are at all mechanically inclined, you can try the Velleman K2543 Electronic Ignition Kit.

I built one many years ago for my '73 610 and it totally solved all my issues with points/dwell needing to be fiddled with, permanently.... 

These utilize the stock distributor and single set of points, but they never wer-out or get hot (eventually the spring on the points will weaken.) 

If you go this route I suggest get the waterproof enclosure and use standard 4-wire Trailer Plugs for the connectors. Run wires long and mount inside say on the kick panel.

The kit comes with an aluminum heat sink too.

This is like the old Heath Kits, so be ready to do little soldering.....

Vicdat

Uses the points opening for the trigger signal then a power transistor to fire the coil. Good as long as the points are set correctly but eventual wear is going to happen. Current is limited to 4 amps which is just enough for a points coil. 

How much?

I had a Mark 10 capacitive discharge system on my late '60s '64 Dodge. It takes the 12 volt through the points and converts to AC and runs through a transformer to 400v and stores this on a capacitor. When the points open the capacitor discharges the 400v through the stock coil. It wasn't cheap! and no noticeable improvement because the stock system was 'good enough'. 

• Like 1

The kit was like $20 bucks  / 20 years ago in those days you could get them at "electronic" stores, RadioCrack, MarVac Electronics, etc....I bet its still cheap and available on the interweb.

The points don't last forever, but damn near...all my local Datsun guys around Whittier laughed at me...

It made starting the 610 easier and got rid of all the headaches; ran smoother....it's not snake oil hahaha.

Guys have used these on all type of engines and applications for years.

Vicdat

Thanks for all the replies and information. I am mechanically inclined, 26 year A&P mechanic; however, my patience isn’t what it once was.  But I will look into the kit mentioned by Vicdat and continue reading thru all the old post. 

Coil: A coil with 3.0 Ohms or more primary resistance must be used.

This means that there is no high output as the matchbox coil is under 1 ohm. It's breakerless, but that's all. Still if your distributor is pooched it might be an option. $140