Exhaust System Suggestions

Vyulit

I am looking for what exhaust systems that there are for a 69 521. I have not been able to find much besides some other posts on this forum from 2011 but those products are now gone. If it would be better for me to go to my local muffler shop please let me know, but if there are some that are available please provide a link and I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Custom made at a muffler shop is pretty much the only option. Unlikely anyone would keep 55 year old pipes around on the chance someone might want them. Pipe bending is more art and voodoo than something that is taught and can be learned, so there will be good shops and not so good ones. Ask around and find an artist and get them to do the job. Perhaps a 1/4" larger diameter and a good fitting quiet muffler.

• Like 1

I was able to source a brand new exhaust system for my father-in-law's 240z from the dealer, but that was almost 20 years ago. No dealer is going to have 521 parts laying around. And I have never heard of any aftermarket companies making exhaust systems for Datsun trucks, ever. So yeah, muffler shop.

Now there are guys who make new flanges. If you're going to have an entire exhaust system built, it might be nice to start with a new flange. Who here makes those flanges @datzenmike?

I have very high standards for what goes on any car or truck, and one of the things I hate most is muffler shop exhaust hangers. If you want to keep yours rattle free and long lasting, have the shop use OEM type rubber hangers, not those cut up tire strips or worse, those blue (nitrile?) bushings. You can buy your own hanger bushings here - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-tphv6

Use a pair of those and have the muffler shop bend some round steel rods around the tubing for maximum durability. Below is a pic of the hangers I build for my custom exhausts.

Ben_Batory_4_small_072.jpg?width=960&hei

Ben_Batory_4_small_069.jpg?width=960&hei

Ben_Batory_4_small_015.jpg?width=960&hei

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 3

Mikey Klotz handed the prints for the flange off to someone else who I never heard back from after I requested one, so I machined my own from thick stainless plate. 

Custom is the only option. I bought a welder and tubing and pieces my own together because the money spent at a shop would have bought me the welder anyway. Make it in chunks with v-band clamps to hold the sections together.

c5agYNl.jpg

27wPhRl.jpg

kud5huq.jpg

SPmlP96.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Custom made at a muffler shop is pretty much the only option. Unlikely anyone would keep 55 year old pipes around on the chance someone might want them. Pipe bending is more art and voodoo than something that is taught and can be learned, so there will be good shops and not so good ones. Ask around and find an artist and get them to do the job. Perhaps a 1/4" larger diameter and a good fitting quiet muffler.

That is what I was figuring. Definitely gonna ask around and do some research into my local shops before I pull the trigger on it. Thanks for the advice.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was able to source a brand new exhaust system for my father-in-law's 240z from the dealer, but that was almost 20 years ago. No dealer is going to have 521 parts laying around. And I have never heard of any aftermarket companies making exhaust systems for Datsun trucks, ever. So yeah, muffler shop.

Now there are guys who make new flanges. If you're going to have an entire exhaust system built, it might be nice to start with a new flange. Who here makes those flanges @datzenmike?

I have very high standards for what goes on any car or truck, and one of the things I hate most is muffler shop exhaust hangers. If you want to keep yours rattle free and long lasting, have the shop use OEM type rubber hangers, not those cut up tire strips or worse, those blue (nitrile?) bushings. You can buy your own hanger bushings here - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-tphv6

Use a pair of those and have the muffler shop bend some round steel rods around the tubing for maximum durability. Below is a pic of the hangers I build for my custom exhausts.

Ben_Batory_4_small_072.jpg?width=960&hei

Ben_Batory_4_small_069.jpg?width=960&hei

Ben_Batory_4_small_015.jpg?width=960&hei

Chances of finding an OEM exhaust syste is slim to none.  I am not aware of any aftermarket systems, like you would find for the 510 or the Z cars.  I am building a custom exhaust for my 521.  Still plan on stuffing an L20B in it (but now I have a 510 in need of an L20B!), will use the stock cast iron exhaust manifold & downpipe (cut short).  I bought a universal 2-1/4 mild steel exhaust pipe kit & two "cherry bomb" style chambered mufflers.  Plan is to cut the end off of each muffler, weld together to make a longer chambered muffler, build it as a single stack pipe, cuz I have a flat bed!  I also found a flat sheet of perforated steel, which I will roll around the muffler as a heatshield.  Once built, I hope to ceramic coat the whole thing!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, yenpit said:

Plan is to cut the end off of each muffler, weld together to make a longer chambered muffler, build it as a single stack pipe, cuz I have a flat bed!  I also found a flat sheet of perforated steel, which I will roll around the muffler as a heatshield.  Once built, I hope to ceramic coat the whole thing!

Finally someone else who will irritate DP with a stacked 521.....

• Like 1