T3 510 Wagon Leaf Spring install

benzo

Hi

Wanted to share. Installed the T3 Leaf Spring kit and am satisfied with it. Added the 1" blocks and it made my wagon sit at the same height as the stock leafs with 2" blocks. So far no axle wrap and haven't hit the differential on the tunnel. Cruising and highway speeds are smooth and steady. Noticeably stiffer and cornering is improved.  I am using Tokico (OE Spec) shocks and may switch to a shorter stroke shock but so far so good!

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like fellow member's opinion on this. I've have looking at this spring set from T3 because I've read that Flexform went under. I tried for a whole year to by a set of Flexform springs, but they would give me the run around and excuses why he couldn't take my order.

Anyway, you guys think T3 is the better route or is it better to de-arch the springs? I do not want to use any blocks higher than 1". There is a reputable spring shop about 30min away that, from what I've heard, has fair prices (guessing 150-300?).

I have installed the T3 kit on my goon. I have yet to drive it. The install was fairly simple and straight forward. I did not use any lowering blocks.

Before

ID4mPf3.jpg

After

n7jkrx4.jpg

Had I been smart, I would have taken the pics in the same place.

But I am not.

• Thanks 1

Just curious, but does Tokiko have any numbers of the stock vs their spring rates? 

I did a wagon and had a local shop de-arc the springs. I used Camaro shocks on it.  It lowered the rear, and stopped the rear end squatting.  It did ride stiffer, but it wasn't bone jarring.

Edited by Duncan
  • Thanks 1

So far to date I like the T3 kit. I did notice a bit of squeaking from most likely the urethane bushings so may do a quick removal and relube them to help but so far so good. I do want to try a shorter stroke shock/camaro shock as I am using a stock dimension tokico. 

There is a shop in Oakland called A1 spring that can de arch them. I was going to take my old ones to give them a try to compare. Or try the reversed leaf trick. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely leaning towards the de-arching of the springs and plan on running 1982-2002 Camaro rear shocks. That setup should be significantly cheaper than the T3 springs alone. It should also get me closer to the ride quality I'm looking for and if I need to, I could always add another leaf to the set to help with bottoming and spring rate.

I'll start a build thread soon on this wagon. Currently sorting things out.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, fivetenguy said:

I'm definitely leaning towards the de-arching of the springs and plan on running 1982-2002 Camaro rear shocks.

BTW, I used air shocks from the same car as above.  I ran around 15-20 lbs IIRC.  Still sat pretty low, and didn't scrape the tires or bottom out. (With the exception crazy bad roads or huge potholes)

• Like 2

FiveTenGuy

Can't tell from stock as I had lowered the car with 2" blocks long ago and never took a measurement. The stock springs were old and sagging so not sure how accurate but I did measure prior to install of the T3 kit and the T3 kit with 1" blocks is the same height as the stock springs with 2" blocks. The advantage I felt was stiffer, better cornering, no or less axle wrap and diff doesn't hit the tunnel when hitting some dips or some potholes and bumps but I am sure if I hit something very hard I'd get a lil but I am ok with it. I am sure if I switch to a shorter stroke shock I'd see an advantage as now since the spring is actually a different dimension it does move the shock mount up higher. I had to compress the shock some to get it mounted back on. I don't like the car too low as the streets are rough here and lots of hills.

• Thanks 1

Duncan, do you recall how much you dropped your car? I'm trying to get an idea because I might have the leafs de-arched before I have everything on the wagon. It currently has 75% of the interion and no engine or trans. Also, planning on running some adjustable rear shocks. I know that it's a dumb question to ask how much you lowered your car because these springs will sag and could be different from car to car.

Thanks for the info, Benzo. You got me thinking about the T3 leafs again lol. I'm definitely looking for those benefits you mentioned: better cornering, minimal axle wrap and the diff not hitting the tunnel. I want stiff, but not too stiff.  

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing (bottom leaf acting as a traction bar). I did buy, years ago, a traction bar kit made by Kelvin (well respected member at the 510 Realm) for this wagon. I have an S15 SR20DE that's going into this thing, so it'll have a bit more power than the stock L series engines.

I'm still considering heavily the T3 setup, so I might not need the traction bars.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, fivetenguy said:

Duncan, do you recall how much you dropped your car? I'm trying to get an idea because I might have the leafs de-arched before I have everything on the wagon. It currently has 75% of the interion and no engine or trans. 

I didn't actually measure the car, but I did tell the shop I was looking for about 1.5" of drop and they said they could re-arc them accordingly.  After putting them on, I'd say they were pretty close to that.

I had an L20 and never did drag race takeoffs or sliding around corners, so I have no clue if it controlled wheel hop or not. 

As I recall, it cost me about $125-ish a few years ago. I also bought the small eye bushings, and had them make me new U-bolts, but that was a few bucks more after I had got the springs done.

I went back into my build thread (first time in a few years I've looked at it) and found a pic of my leaf spring.  The lower spring was after is was de-arc'd and I'd forgotten that the shop added a leaf to the pack.  I had a spare set of springs, and the top spring is the original stock one.

I also added new urethane pads to replace the worn out burlap that goes between the leafs.  Most spring shops have something that will work and ask about them.  They're usually cheap and helps the springs work properly.

spr3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FiveTenGuy you are welcome. Maybe wait for their sales or black friday sale to lessen the blow. I see you are in Modesto. If you are willing to come to SF I can loan you my old springs if you want to try the flipped spring trick to try to lower your wagon to see where it sits. Believe you said you have a shop local to you that can de-arch the springs but if not A1 in Oakland can do it. I know someone who had them do it for their corolla wagon with good results and he drifts his wagon. From what I heard and talked to Ruben of A1 is he will work with you to get it to the height you want. He quoted me 75-90 per side if you bring in the springs and 3-400 if you bring in the car and he does it and reinstalls. 

Hope you get good results

• Thanks 1

Duncan, thanks for the great info. Much appreciated. Like you, I want to get the bushings replaced and have urethane pads installed. I'll have to go and check out your thread. Do you have a link or the title of the thread?

Benzo, I really appreciate you willing to let me borrow the springs. I'm at least a year from getting the wagon to run. Also, good looking out for A1 Spring Service. His prices seem very affordable. I'll check with the guys in Stockton, I believe the shop is called Moore Spring Service, and see what they charge per spring and what it includes. They've been in business for 3 generations, but you never know. I might just call A1 and have them do it. 

Edited by fivetenguy
  • Like 1
On 8/12/2022 at 3:19 PM, fivetenguy said:

Duncan, thanks for the great info. Much appreciated. Like you, I want to get the bushings replaced and have urethane pads installed. I'll have to go and check out your thread. Do you have a link or the title of the thread?

It was a complete resto of a RHD wagon I imported from Australia.  The thread spans about 6 years or so, and unfortunately, I lost around 3 free hosting sites.   There are no pics until about page 50 or so.   I put a link starting at page 50 if you want to peruse the thread.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...