L20B rebuild

Beowulf

Evening all.  Been a while since I posted, still out here fighting my cancer. Anyway most body work is done and want to rebuild motor. Looking for recommendations on rebuild kits, and if any knowledge on Schneider cams.. Not race spec-cam, something close to factory if I need a new one.  Anyway hope all are well, thanks for info.Greg

6CD3E7F7-2C6D-4DC5-8D97-0758689C331A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Evening all.  Been a while since I posted, still out here fighting my cancer. Anyway most body work is done and want to rebuild motor. Looking for recommendations on rebuild kits, and if any knowledge on Schneider cams.. Not race spec-cam, something close to factory if I need a new one.  Anyway hope all are well, thanks for info.Greg

6CD3E7F7-2C6D-4DC5-8D97-0758689C331A.jpeg

I dont believe Schneider sells new, they regrind what you send them...

If you need a new one Zcardepot has compcams for sale.... 

https://zcardepot.com/products/camshaft-comp-cam-racing-l16-l18-l20b

Have you tried your local engine machine shop? They have access to parts that don't normally show up online. And, they know what works and what doesn't from experience.

I think it's kind of like the meat industry. We never see the same quality of meats on the grocery store shelves as you can get in a restaurant. They may be labeled the same, but trust me, restaurant meat is always better.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
15 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Not race spec-cam, something close to factory if I need a new one. 

No reason to assume you need a new cam and if replacing with something close to stock you may as well just find a good used one. Stock L20B is 0.413" lift and 248 duration however while lift is correct, it's doubtful if duration is measured at the universally accepted 0.050" valve lift that all after market cam suppliers use. Maybe someone knows.

While talking cams it should be noted that today's oil formulas are about half the ZDDP levels of 40 years ago. ZDDP is a zinc additive that prevents scuffing of cam journals. Today's cars don't need it and it fucks up their catalytic converters. So one way to assure your levels are high enough is to switch to a racing oil or simply use Shell Rotella T4 or Chevron Delo 400 diesel oil.

AlI8XOe.jpg

Going to machine shop tomorrow, keeps telling me he’s 6 months out. And I get the same answers at all the shops. Can’t do a drop off to get it in line as they don’t want to be tripping over it. Only like 3 shops in my area. At rate this is going I’ll be dead before I can get it done. 

• Like 1

Hey Greg,

To speed things up, California Datsun sells a Datsun 510 620 521 L16 L18 L20b 2.0 Overhaul Master Engine Rebuild Kit w Pistons for $800

https://www.californiadatsun.com/engine-overhaul/510-620-521-l16-l18-l20b-2-0-engine-overhaul-rebuild-master-kit.html

Keep up the good fight bro. Take care of yourself and cheat in the race of what others say is inevitable. 

No mention of parts makers. Could all be Chinese. Probably convenient and ok for average rebuild but not if really serious. You could get better for less if you search and pick and choose. On top of $800 you still have machining the bores to oversize and what about the head?