A 510 goon named Cactus Peel

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Greaser2 said:

I know things can be lost in pics, is leaf green "green".  Looks more a grey blue to my old eyes.  

I would say its a green with a tint of blue, more blue-green ish than yellow-green like the other datsun colors. It's definitely a weird color lol

Speaking of paint, I did more painting. Since I liked the green on the bumper valence thing, I painted the hatch. Quick scotch-brite, masked off, and gave it a few coats of rust-oxide red primer, and then the whole small can of paint. Came out pretty good for a can, and my first time painting a large panel. 

6e4cXin.jpg

bezbt5l.jpg

yM0E5lT.jpg

a3ltiPx.jpg

rJfoHgi.jpg

The color match is really good honestly for the price of the paint. I wish I bought more to paint the hood and cowl, but that'll be another time. I finally installed my hatch handle, which needed a stud fixed, but that was simple enough. 

3nhMz33.jpg

TuZ4ULI.jpg

AEBXcsa.jpg

Since the painted hatch looked too "pretty" compared to the rest of the car, I gave it a light "faux-tina" by haphazardly scratching it, and popping the rust bubbles underneath the paint. Very light sanding in a few spots, and I popped the scratches that were below the new paint out. 

QYa8Z68.jpg

UgFCbKp.jpg

KXi7DfM.jpg

This isn't a perfect hatch, what so ever, its full of rust holes, so this isn't permanent, but is so much better than the mis-matched kasumi green that it was. 

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
  • Like 3

More work on the goon again! I made a cheap and small bluetooth audio system for the goon. 

I borrowed a t3 kick panel, remade it with 1/8" MDF, made some speaker holes, and mounted these 3.5" 450w Pioneer speakers on it. They just barely fit into the hole on the kick panel, but these were the shallowest height that I could find online that weren't crap. So I 3d printed a .2" spacer to space out the speaker just enough so the magnet isnt magnetizing to the body, but isn't sticking out like a sore thumb.

Just my two cents but there are two things that I hate when it comes to the automotive audio world, and those are:

1. Cutting good sheet metal for over-sized speakers

2. Having speakers poke into the leg room. 

So this is the reason why I made this very small setup. Its better than a small JBL speaker, and I don't have to charge it before I go for a drive lol. 

jyHhl3x.jpg

ziYAc2p.jpg

5GnqoPR.jpg

rfeJ6Cc.jpg

gwoJ5EX.jpg

uJcdn2B.jpg

It's not perfect, but its my first time making mdf panels, and my first time ever making any kind of audio system. Maybe a hidden amp would be the next step, but I'm not sure where I'll put it in the goon. And Ill have to upgrade to a bigger amp, since the bluetooth module I bought only has 2 channels. 

• Like 2

Looks fantastic! I personally use oil base paint. It lasts forever. Any paint shop can make the same green in oil based and you could go to harbor freight to get a cheap air gun and paint the entire car one color. Simple enough. The oil based paint needs acetone to thin it out a bit. Otherwise, the paint is fantastic. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WAGON JON said:

Looks fantastic! I personally use oil base paint. It lasts forever. Any paint shop can make the same green in oil based and you could go to harbor freight to get a cheap air gun and paint the entire car one color. Simple enough. The oil based paint needs acetone to thin it out a bit. Otherwise, the paint is fantastic. 

Here in CA, we are at the mercy of the EPA. We can get the good stuff in Reno, but in the Sac area, all bets are off.

• Like 1

Looking good! For my skyline I put the amp under the passenger seat.  This is my second infinity bluetooth amp.  I loved it so much in my cactus green 510 I bought another.  I really need to buy like 4 more lol.  Anyways, out of sight and works perfectly.

In the 510 I ran it on the gas tank tray in the trunk (obviously wagon doesn't have one lol)

52061829478_dee3f6ffef_4k.jpgUntitled by five1oh2010, on Flickr

52062295595_dc400be1c5_4k.jpgUntitled by five1oh2010, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Here in CA, we are at the mercy of the EPA. We can get the good stuff in Reno, but in the Sac area, all bets are off.

You've been to Ace hardware or the like I'm sure....Go to the paint section and pick up the Rustolium oil-based paint. Really you ask?!  Yup, I works very well for painting cars too. No joke. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiFl7OCqoL9AhW2E60GHbUZBhwYABADGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_2owDxndP0FJZaUYpaSixJPsniTmw&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwi_1KWCqoL9AhXfB0QIHfGOB8YQvhd6BAgBEFg

Super cheap too in comparison to traditional automotive paint or the good stuff in Reno. Durability and longevity including UV resistant. Don't take my word for it. Try it, then decide. 

Edited by WAGON JON
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Anonymous Waffle said:

Just wanted to post a update, this page and my account will be quiet for a while. I ship out for the Air Force on the 7th, so not much datsun stuff for a while!

Going balloon hunting? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 5 months later...

I'm back, I'm still alive, and back home for a little bit before I go to my duty station. So I got right back to doin datsun stuff, which is mainly just driving the waggo.

Only drove about 450 miles so far, but I've been driving it around town and took it on a fun run with the Sacramento Datsun Owners Club up to Quincy and Bucks lake, and after that I went off to reno to visit some ol friends. 

tJiaK6A.jpeg?1

1hjL1yf.jpg

BqQkOEp.jpg

I borrowed this hood since it had nice patina and seemed like a similar green, turns out its kasumi green so I gave the hood back lol.

7aF1dUy.jpg

f0Ry0xy.jpg

So I rocked the no hood look for a day. The induction noise sounds so good without a hood on 😵

PtdS7On.jpg

0cgpYHJ.jpg

hJIFo5M.jpg

She ain't fast, but she's alotta fun. Heres a quick video of me punching through the gears. 

E3yS73G.jpg

4pPaBlD.jpg

1kfOnS8.jpg

Edited by Anonymous Waffle
  • Like 2