clutch and trans questions

moparvwfreak

i know my clutch is just about done. its been grinding sometimes going into gears even with the truck stopped and the clutch in. but that's not what i am asking here.

what i need to know is COULD a clutch make a sound like a knock? my little truck is making some funky noises and the knock i hear started about the same time she started grinding going into gear.

also, i need to find a 5 speed transmission, CHEAP OR FREE, that will bolt in place of my short tail 4spd. is there such a thing??? i figure this would be the time to replace the trans with a 5spd. i just rebuilt my drive line and don't want to have to mod it to fit a later model 5spd. this is the time i wish i had a 74+ truck. any ideas where i could get one or what its out of? i dont mind a dogleg if i have to. it would just take a little getting used to.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A '77-'79 200sx dog leg 5spd will be the same length as you '73 tranny. What you really need is a short tail FS5W71B. I have a picture of one supposidly from an '80 720.

When does it knock? Only when you use the clutch? All the time?

A '74 and up drive shaft will be the right length. You may be able to just change the shorter front half with the carrier bearing on it instead of the whole thing. Even if you get the 4spd, tranny mount and drive shaft of the same wreck, it would get you mobile. You could then keep your eyes open for a 5spd. which will fit right in where the 4spd is, no mods.

That's shitty news. On the bright side, you can up-grade to 5spd now.

yup. it is. and i can but want a short tail trans.

You can also do the long tail if you get the driveline and I believe trans crossmember...

yes but i would need drive line and i just rebuilt mine. not a real desireable swap at the moment.

A '74 and up drive shaft will be the right length. You may be able to just change the shorter front half with the carrier bearing on it instead of the whole thing. Even if you get the 4spd, tranny mount and drive shaft of the same wreck, it would get you mobile. You could then keep your eyes open for a 5spd. which will fit right in where the 4spd is, no mods.

true. but there again i just rebuilt mine. god this sucks!

well i replaced my clutch master and it didn't help. i think maybe the clutch itsself is gone. this sucks. i have a FULL tank of gas in it and cant drive hte damn thing. i have a long tail trans available so i guess i get to find another driveshaft. at least a front piece.

i remember reading somewhere, i cant recall where (really i dont), that the clutch fork is prone to breaking. is anything like that true? i am more than willing to do a clutch on teh truck and i ahve a trans i can swap in as soon as i can get it. i just need the front of a long tail driveshaft.

also do i absolutely need a long tail cross member? i can get one and a front drive shaft from a KC out at the bone yard if i have to.

• 1 month later...

talked to my buddy and the guy literlally threw the trans away. so i am in need of at least a clutch, possible trans, and a hand. i need to get this truck on the road ASAP with no funds. i think the clutch may be good but something broke between it and the slave. if i can get it to shift again i'll drive it till it dies. i dont care. i am just getting a headache driving my rabbit pickup around with a bad exhaust leak and a rattleing exhaust. io want my datsun back.

Did the release bearing collar detach from the clutch arm when installing, maybe?

Did you install a new release bearing?

Did you pack it with grease first?

....so yeah its fucked. plus the trasn is leaking out the front seal. and its whining BADLY. not a good day.

That does sound like thew input seal is gone. Perhaps the bearing went and took it out. See datto510 on here. He has a tranny for Hainz but he may not need it.

Edited by datzenmike
Did the release bearing collar detach from the clutch arm when installing, maybe?

Did you install a new release bearing?

Did you pack it with grease first?

That does sound like thew input seal is gone. Perhaps the bearing went and took it out. See datto510 on here. He has a tranny for Hainz but he may not need it.

its possible. as for installing, i have not done anything with this truck except make it run right. as far as i know hte clutch, and trans, are OE as i dont ahve any records except what i have done.

i'll also check the trans stuff out.

clutch is ordered from http://www.importrp.com . hopefully i can get it soon, get the new slave, adn teh new input shaft seal. i can live with a 4spd for now unless i can get a SCREAMING deal on a 5spd. as in cheap or free... yeah right but ya never know.

just received my clutch from them.Matter of fact it shipped out of washinton.

stock clutch.

let me know how it goes as I have done many a 510 clutch but never a truck(look like a pain in the ass)

521 clutch 89$ shiped

http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=61784&cat=0&page=1

thats how much mine was. i am hopeing its not to bad of a deal to install. i should have mine today as well if not tomorrow. it was only shipped out of Everett so it should be here shortly. i'll let ya knwo how hard it is. i will most likely be slamming it tomorrow if i can get to it. i want my truck back!!!!!!

2eDeYe;123093'']I heard that there are about 3 620's at the Smokey Pt Pull a Part. I plan to head there after work. Shall I see if there is a 5-speed?

yeah but i cant afford anything right now. :( i is a broke bastage. BUT i might have to head up there today myself and see if i cant find any rabbit parts.

well i think i figured out what happened to my clutch. i THINK the pressure plate broke. i have trans out now and no the top bolts were NOT an issue as of yet. the hardest thing right now is getting the trnas back in with the exhaust in the way. i should drop it BUT its all welded together and i have no more $$ to play with it right now. i am HOPEING to get the truck going by later today.