How do I know my motor? z22, z24? Does anyone need one?

720_Daniel

Hi all, 

I'm making my plans for the 720 electric conversion. 

I've got a 1982 king cab 4x4 with CA emission setup. I keep seeing z22 and z24 tossed around, but I'm not sure which mine is. Any way to identify that easily? 

Also, I'll be pulling the motor out sometime over the next 4 weeks. If anyone needs anything, let me know. I'll sell for cheap. I started working on it just to get it to pass smog so I could have legit plates. However, someone in the distant past pulled all the emission stuff off. They put a plug in the exhaust manifold that was rusted like a beast. I got it to spin, but it won't come out.

Even though I picked all the necessary emissions stuff off of a junkyard 720, I'm not going to bother replacing the exhaust manifold to do it if I'm just going to pull it. 

So, if anyone wants a z22 or z24 in the East Bay (94804), let me know. 

Also coming out is the exhaust and the gas tank. 

Another question I have is if I can get a rebuilt transmission, or if any aftermarket transmissions fit. 

Thanks. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, 720_Daniel said:

I'm hoping to keep the 4x4. 

You can pick up an adapter plate that bolts onto the bell housing. 

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=137

Thanks for posting that link, I have always thought about going electric if I ever blow up my L16....

I like the idea of keeping the transmission too.... 

But, is an electric conversion actually California Smog legal?  I asked someone in California who already completed one, and got no response.  It retained the original transmission and transfercase, maybe bellhousing.  Maybe that was for having a neutral and a reverse gear?  Where are the mounting points for the drivetrain?

New cars are all electric power steering. Regenerative braking helps but it's never going to lock the brakes. It just recovers some of the motion energy back into the batteries. Depends on what you have for batteries as to how much you can depend on them for electric heat. This is one of the drawbacks of electric vehicles never get stranded in a snow storm in one. Drive it in the summer or only short distances.

For power steering, you can buy an electric assist. There's a gadget called a DC/DC converter which serves as an alternator of sorts.  It steps the voltage down to 12 so you can charge the battery and use all the existing 12V things. Heaters are a huge power drain, but you need one. But, if you run out of fuel or power in a snow storm, you'll be cold either way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:42 PM, 720_Daniel said:

For power steering, you can buy an electric assist. There's a gadget called a DC/DC converter which serves as an alternator of sorts.  It steps the voltage down to 12 so you can charge the battery and use all the existing 12V things. Heaters are a huge power drain, but you need one. But, if you run out of fuel or power in a snow storm, you'll be cold either way. 

Hope you post up on your electric build. Maybe some certain peoples will get educated about electric cars and how far they have progressed. I've been thinking about doing the same thing with mine eventually. I am kind of with Mike on the direct route to the transfer case, but still research on that. The truck is a great platform for hiding batteries and it won't take much HP or range to be better than these turds . Good luck  

The only reason I like the connection to the transmission is just the ability to shift something,  also I think you could get away with a smaller motor ... I have not done enough research either way so I dont know if it's better or worse.....

They have come a long ways with the ev conversions now....

I saw you can buy an electric axle now, even seen one that was supposedly a Dana 60 axle....

Screenshot_20220211-093834_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220211-093702_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220211-093759_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/30/2022 at 2:22 PM, datzenmike said:

New cars are all electric power steering. Regenerative braking helps but it's never going to lock the brakes. It just recovers some of the motion energy back into the batteries. Depends on what you have for batteries as to how much you can depend on them for electric heat. This is one of the drawbacks of electric vehicles never get stranded in a snow storm in one. Drive it in the summer or only short distances.

Webasco, Ebersh--something German (neither aforementioned is spelled right) Both built and still build diesel fueled cab heaters. They are expensive $$$$ warrantied and proven reliable. However, in the last five or so years, China started selling knockoffs $$$ for heater and installation kit. The sell the knockoffs everywhere and I have read some good reviews on "van camper" and "tiny home" websites. (In case you live under a rock "tiny home" is what they call trailers or mobile homes that cost more.)

• Like 1
On 2/14/2022 at 1:00 AM, MatthewCapodieci said:

How much $$$ are you asking for the z22 engine and how many miles are on it?

Lots and lots of miles. Odometer says 350k. I don't know anything about the previous driver. Also, it turns out that the engine is a z24. I'm more interested in the engine being used rather than scrapped, so make an offer. The engine runs pretty damn well I must say. I've been hesitating to pull the trigger on the conversion because of the weight of the truck. 

I've reinstalled the vacuum and emission parts, changed the plugs and wires, and adjusted the valves. It didn't pass smog because I had the carb tuned wrong and there is an exhaust leak somewhere, but that's fixable. 

So... I might kind of want to sell the truck and then get a 720 4x2 non-king cab for the conversion. But damn, the 4x4 is such a good looking truck.