Y down pipe

edekalil

Anyone know if anyone is making the Y down pipe that connects to the exhaust manifold these days. I saw someone here or on line that was making the plate at the top that bolts up to the manifold and the two pipes connect to to make a new y pipe.

I found this pic that has the plate someone made.

6-A30-F265-4739-4-FC7-AF59-37265-D5-C54-

found this site that makes the plate.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/

A5-E991-DC-0-FF0-4719-A0-EA-0-DB5-F5-C5-

Edited by edekalil
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

510 or 520 521 620 truck?  I think you have 510's only?  The upper flanges are the same (PS that "bluehands" online is Mike Klotz who is on here somewhere), but the actual shape of the downpipes are different............the 510 needs to clear the steering box & the trucks need to clear the suspension torsion rod.  Apparently they do not interchange..........

If 510, all 1968-1973 2dr 4dr Wagon are the same, although some of the aftermarket from back in the day (all are NLS NLA now) look a little different in overall length.  I just ran out of good USED 510 downpipes, but a regional buddy says he might have some...............if he does, I will be buying them to re-sell.  PM me if interested!

TJ

• Like 1

I would like to know the ID of the pipe holes on those flanges Mike makes, so Ed post that when you get one.  Looks like it should just match the stock manifold, but would like confirmation.  I just had my manifold for my 69 blasted and ceramic coated this summer.

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 1

6-A30-F265-4739-4-FC7-AF59-37265-D5-C54-

This is mine.

L16 4 into two manifold. Mike Klotz flange and 240sx down pipes. IIRC the manifold takes a 1/5" outer diameter pipe. I had to slit the 240sx down pipes and squeeze together to get them down to 1.5" weld and slip the flange over them.

mRhIAwH.jpg

Really like how they clear transmission and steering box and join under the floor. From exhaust valve to join is well over 30" like a long tube header.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, edekalil said:

I figure if I cloud get the flange the muffler shop could create the rest or duplicate one I have off a car. And yes I will pm you I could use one or two easy. 

Let me know!  I just talked to my buddy last week about getting a couple from him............

23 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

photos????

I sandblast & BLACK ceramic coat...........looks great!  You & those in humid/wet areas would want to get coated very quickly after blasting, cuz raw cast iron oxidizes VERY QUICKLY!!

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

be nice if some one made a 2 into 1 small (short actually)one that goes into a 2 inch collector that would fit all.

Our fab guy has made Y pipes here at the shop, but lots of labor time, so not cheap!  A good muffler shop would be cheaper........just not as nice!! 😎

• Like 2
7 hours ago, yenpit said:

510 or 520 521 620 truck?  I think you have 510's only?  The upper flanges are the same (PS that "bluehands" online is Mike Klotz who is on here somewhere), but the actual shape of the downpipes are different............the 510 needs to clear the steering box & the trucks need to clear the suspension torsion rod.  Apparently they do not interchange..........

If 510, all 1968-1973 2dr 4dr Wagon are the same, although some of the aftermarket from back in the day (all are NLS NLA now) look a little different in overall length.  I just ran out of good USED 510 downpipes, but a regional buddy says he might have some...............if he does, I will be buying them to re-sell.  PM me if interested!

TJ

All I have are 510’s and yes I will take a good used one if available.

5 hours ago, yenpit said:

Let me know!  I just talked to my buddy last week about getting a couple from him............

I sandblast & BLACK ceramic coat...........looks great!  You & those in humid/wet areas would want to get coated very quickly after blasting, cuz raw cast iron oxidizes VERY QUICKLY!!

Our fab guy has made Y pipes here at the shop, but lots of labor time, so not cheap!  A good muffler shop would be cheaper........just not as nice!! 😎

Yes I would like some flanges that way I could give an old down pipe and flange to a shop and they should be able to copy it.

5 hours ago, yenpit said:

I take it the fab guy did it all from scratch, the one shop told me they would use my upper part but they wanted a lot. I don’t mind paying for a completely fabed up one all new but to keep the old upper portion and create the lower half new for what they wanted local was not what I wanted. What price did y’all charge about to make one.

There is so much in the aftermarket these days, you can buy a very nice TIG welded merge collector for about $100 - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-10351

Use that and some mandrel bends to make your own y-pipe. And on a 510, the longer one is better. Merge at about the flywheel, not right off the manifold.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, edekalil said:

I take it the fab guy did it all from scratch, the one shop told me they would use my upper part but they wanted a lot. I don’t mind paying for a completely fabed up one all new but to keep the old upper portion and create the lower half new for what they wanted local was not what I wanted. What price did y’all charge about to make one.

We modified an old ANSA double stacked tailpipe, that had a Y from a single pipe to the double pipe.  The inlet pipe was the stock pea-shooter size, we wanted it to match the larger midpipe, so we cut & welded, similar to what Stoffregen suggested.  I bet our fab guy had 3++ hours in it at $125hr = $375........but we are perfectionists!  A 510 downpipe made in house, will be more complicated, thus likely more expensive.

What did the local shop quote you?

If you need a stock 510 downpipe now for a project, I have one left.......was holding on to for my next 510 project (if I get another 🙄), but that is nowhere in sight!  PM me!

TJ

• Like 1

Sorry for the thread tangent.

The 69 I have had for 30+ years.  Been dormant while I vintage raced and played with other cars for years, sadly.  It is a nice Porsche Guards Red 2 door from California that has never seen rust.  Bit of a mix really, as it had 69 markers but 70 round gauge dash.  Very clean car my brother put together initially.  

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got a few of the flanges. 

979040-DE-3-F99-43-CF-BC82-DDEFC4-EFCEE2

8-F171236-92-A4-467-D-B353-8-FE78-B6976-

They are thicker than the stock flange and very close in design and should work. Now to search out the 2 into 1 that will work out. The fella had 7 I believe he said I got 3. I also believe Zcar Depot has them as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:24 AM, datzenmike said:

Make sure those fit a manifold. I think the Z car ones are slightly different bolt spacing.

Mike is correct...........just compared the 510 GASKET #20691-A0880 to a 240Z manifold...........NOT the same!  The Z gasket is bigger with a slightly different bolt pattern.  Compare those NEW flanges to the 510 headpipe I sent ya!

• Like 1