Are any of you walkers???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not thimble berry though the leaf texture is similar this has more lobes that it. Not Maple they are deeply lobed and smooth texture.

Stink current! ... https://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/stink-currant-bull-ribes-bracteosum.html

Stink currant • Ribes bracteosum - Biodiversity of the Central Coast

Ha ha!!! That's it! I don't recall seeing this before. Should have looked in my Pojar/Mackinnon guide to coastal BC plants. There were no flowers that I saw this summer and no indication of fruit. I would never have thought it a current, they usually have tiny leaves and chest high. This grows to 10 feet..

Well thanks Matt, this has baffled me all summer.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Love to walk...my desk job during the day...I have to go out on lunch and walk the perimeter of the compound I am in (about 1 mile ish)...my part time gig is at Home Depot...that job I walk all the time....usually a 4 hour shift I walk 4 miles...8 hour shift I walk 8 miles average...I even walk to my church in Sundays...that is 1 1/2 miles each way...

Keeps me going for sure...

MikeC

I’ve always been into hiking, and have explored many trails in the Pacific Northwest, and seek trails anywhere I travel to.

Since going to work at The Big Shed over seven years ago the amount of walking I do increased dramatically. Everywhere is a long walk there. From the parking lot to just about anywhere is a hike. Add to that the stairs in the tooling, and the steps add up quick. I walk ten to twelve miles a day.

It helps if you like the alone time. The meditation, for lack of a proper definition. I thought only the physical work of riding my bike to and from work produced this effect but so does walking. If I was to sit still and try this I would just end up on Ratsun so being away from distractions really helps. Not to sound goofy but the repetitious pace and scenery, the isolation at times and the weather can transport you away in your thoughts. All senses are there except being aware of your body. It doesn't work well if you are actually going somewhere or need to get home by a certain time. It takes as long as it takes. Some mornings without stopping it's hair over 2 hours, others it's 4 or even 5 hours if you stop to talk or do some trail maintenance. You can't hurry things.        

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

It helps if you like the alone time. The meditation, for lack of a proper definition. I thought only the physical work of riding my bike to and from work produced this effect but so does walking. If I was to sit still and try this I would just end up on Ratsun so being away from distractions really helps. Not to sound goofy but the repetitious pace and scenery, the isolation at times and the weather can transport you away in your thoughts. All senses are there except being aware of your body. It doesn't work well if you are actually going somewhere or need to get home by a certain time. It takes as long as it takes. Some mornings without stopping it's hair over 2 hours, others it's 4 or even 5 hours if you stop to talk or do some trail maintenance. You can't hurry things.        

image.thumb.jpeg.adfe6da349a760bcfd7717a51a772aeb.jpeg

I listen to the 'quiet'. I don't go for the quiet but I certainly embrace it. I see people listening to music or maybe a podcast and just wonder why they just didn't stay at home to do that. Still, if in an urban setting maybe this gets you through it. Of my 5 miles, less than 1/4 is on highway, 1/2 urban, the rest are seashore 1 mile, RR tracks 1.5 mile and the rest woodland trails. 

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I listen to the 'quiet'. I don't go for the quiet but I certainly embrace it. I see people listening to music or maybe a podcast and just wonder why they just didn't stay at home to do that. 

I don't get to enjoy the beauty of nature at home. 😁

Hiking in the woods is 99% visual for me. Otherwise I'd stick to the sidewalk...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Nature is sights and sounds. Also smells of the forest undergrowth and leaves, cold wind, rain in your face, bird calls, sun warmth, rough bark, creosote RR ties, horses in a paddock.

I don't disagree, but that's why I said...

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Hiking in the woods is 99% visual for me.

Geez, I figured this was gonna be the one thread where we left our judgements and preconceived notions at the door...   😋

17 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

No no we're all different. I was exploring you're perspective. I see others doing different things and was trying to see why. No offense intended.

Who are you and how did you get into Mike’s account to make this post?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I don't get to enjoy the beauty of nature at home. 😁

Hiking in the woods is 99% visual for me. Otherwise I'd stick to the sidewalk...

But Texas doesn’t have any woods.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Nature is sights and sounds. Also smells of the forest undergrowth and leaves, cold wind, rain in your face, bird calls, sun warmth, rough bark, creosote RR ties, horses in a paddock.

Took my neighbor on a couple of hikes in the nearby mountains recently. Even though we live in the country, and it is relatively quiet and peaceful, he was quite taken aback by the silence in the woods. 

It is so quiet that the silence is deafening.

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I was exploring you're perspective. I see others doing different things and was trying to see why. No offense intended.

Well, as an avenue into my perspective, I can either listen to podcasts on my couch, or while enjoying nature. And I definitely need to do more of the latter. 

I have a lifelong desire to learn as much as I can about a wide variety of subjects. The podcasts help with that.

I have some anxiety issues, so being alone with my thoughts (at times) can be tough. The podcasts help with that.