Datsun 521 Project

Power goes to the reverse lights circuit, instrument gauges and the the turn signal flasher circuit. Even if not using reverse or signals a bare wire could be randomly touching something.

The 521 fuse box is badly exposed to the elements. Take a picture of it and all the wires or draw it and label the wires color codes. Remove them and clean the fuse box and all the fuse clips. Clean the wire connections and assemble it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, njp.18 said:

ok, where is the turn signal lamp housing located? I sprayed some electrical cleaner on the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel and I didnt see any loose wires.

I'm referring to any one of the four turn signal lamps

• Like 1

If this happens every week or so it's going to take a long time to trouble shoot.  If it happens when making a right turn or when reversing that really narrows it down.

Yes, I agree. Just remove the flasher and see if the problem disappears. If it does it's  to do with the turn signal switch, it's wiring or the wiring to and including one of the signal lamps.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If this happens every week or so it's going to take a long time to trouble shoot.  If it happens when making a right turn or when reversing that really narrows it down.

Yes, I agree. Just remove the flasher and see if the problem disappears. If it does it's  to do with the turn signal switch, it's wiring or the wiring to and including one of the signal lamps.

when you say to remove the flasher, are you referring to unplugging the wires on the flasher relay?

Edited by njp.18

Oh yeah, just unplug it is fine. This eliminate everything after it, like the turn signal switch and the wiring to and including the front and rear tail lights. If the fuse still blows then it's at least not those components. An intermittent problem is the hardest thing to trouble shoot.  Have a care as you will be driving without turn signals. Use hand signals

55 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Oh yeah, just unplug it is fine. This eliminate everything after it, like the turn signal switch and the wiring to and including the front and rear tail lights. If the fuse still blows then it's at least not those components. An intermittent problem is the hardest thing to trouble shoot.  Have a care as you will be driving without turn signals. Use hand signals

alright thx

• 4 weeks later...