Datsun 521 Project

32 minutes ago, njp.18 said:

Im looking to replace the front wheel bearings soon on my 521. I've seen multiple threads of people having trouble finding inner bearings but i see some on rock auto. Are these fine to use or should I stay away from them? 

Pretty sure you won't get the correct bearing.  @mklotz70 will likely know for sure...

• Like 2
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, njp.18 said:

Im looking to replace the front wheel bearings soon on my 521. I've seen multiple threads of people having trouble finding inner bearings but i see some on rock auto. Are these fine to use or should I stay away from them? 

Matt is correct inner is probably wrong....

It needs to be the 32kb02 s1....

They exist but sometimes you can only find 1 at time from different people....

Screenshot_20220225-082100_eBay.jpg

7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Mikeklotz sells a spacer to use the 620 bearing... the larger spacer is removed from the spindle and then his is installed.... 

The bearing is the 32kb02-11b

Screenshot_20220225-082139_eBay.jpg

got it, thx! so i would need 2 of his spacers, 2 inner 620 bearings, 2 outer 521 bearings, and 2 521 inner seals for the job right?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, njp.18 said:

got it, thx! so i would need 2 of his spacers, 2 inner 620 bearings, 2 outer 521 bearings, and 2 521 inner seals for the job right?

Sounds right to me....

You can find the correct 521 inner bearing but like I said just takes a minute to find 2 of the same brand... I personally like the same brand but might not matter, it's just what I prefer ... 

Using Mikeklotzs spacer is the better way to go because the bearing is alot easier to find... I think even rockauto has the correct ones..

Just incase you need it... Mike's website 

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, njp.18 said:

got the parts to do my front wheel bearings. just to make sure, the outer and inner bearings both face the direction in which the smaller diameter goes towards the hub, correct?

The cones point to each other. Or alternatively, either side you are looking at has the inside of the race facing you.  If you think about it there's really only one way they can go together.

[>|<] 😅

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 2

anyone know how to reduce this slop. its a 72 521 with 4 speed. this video is it in 1st gear. thought the slop was going to be from disintegrated bushings but looks like someone put washers in there, so not sure if i can help the slop. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I37dCv5U2avCXbRFkIfm6rX4no3q9Ki_/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bSW5J5ELkvGy6NS3rl-AewZiXteTE-qU/view?usp=sharing

Edited by njp.18
16 hours ago, njp.18 said:

anyone know how to reduce this slop. its a 72 521 with 4 speed. this video is it in 1st gear. thought the slop was going to be from disintegrated bushings but looks like someone put washers in there, so not sure if i can help the slop. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I37dCv5U2avCXbRFkIfm6rX4no3q9Ki_/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bSW5J5ELkvGy6NS3rl-AewZiXteTE-qU/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately these transmissions got the name monkey motion for a reason.... that's just how they are...

I think the metal gets worn....

You can clean up and try to shim the lower pin .... dont try to remove that upper pivot.... there is a really tiny spring pin holding it in .... 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Unfortunately these transmissions got the name monkey motion for a reason.... that's just how they are...

I think the metal gets worn....

You can clean up and try to shim the lower pin .... dont try to remove that upper pivot.... there is a really tiny spring pin holding it in .... 

haha ok thanks

Is this in gear? or neutral???

WOgiN7j.jpg

Part 37 does nothing for side to side movement of the shift lever control bracket (not numbered) it's to provide a fulcrum point for forward and back movement of the control bracket around part 17 and it's bushing, 15. It doesn't look bad to me.

The bottom of the control bracket with the two downward pointing forks on each side is where all the slop will be. Part 20 is the striking rod and the outer end should fit snugly between the forks on the control bracket. The striking rod pin #19 can be replaced with a nut and bolt and a thin washer slipped in between the striking rod and the forks on one side. Do not over tighten and pinch the 'fingers' and washer against the striking rod. The striking rod must be free to move, but just barely

• Like 2
21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Is this in gear? or neutral???

WOgiN7j.jpg

Part 37 does nothing for side to side movement of the shift lever control bracket (not numbered) it's to provide a fulcrum point for forward and back movement of the control bracket around part 17 and it's bushing, 15. It doesn't look bad to me.

The bottom of the control bracket with the two downward pointing forks on each side is where all the slop will be. Part 20 is the striking rod and the outer end should fit snugly between the forks on the control bracket. The striking rod pin #19 can be replaced with a nut and bolt and a thin washer slipped in between the striking rod and the forks on one side. Do not over tighten and pinch the 'fingers' and washer against the striking rod. The striking rod must be free to move, but just barely

thanks, the video was in 1st gear.

got the front wheel bearings done today. I still hear the whoosing sound so am assuming its coming from the rear wheel bearings. Ive heard the process is more difficult on the rears. does anyone know of youtube videos or good threads on here, preferably with photos/videos, that cover the process? 

11 hours ago, njp.18 said:

got the front wheel bearings done today. I still hear the whoosing sound so am assuming its coming from the rear wheel bearings. Ive heard the process is more difficult on the rears. does anyone know of youtube videos or good threads on here, preferably with photos/videos, that cover the process? 

Found this one for you...

I was trying to find one where the person made a removal tool for the bearing.... 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

This is the thread about the tool...

Only other thing I ran into was replacing the race in the hub.....

I couldnt drive it out with the tools I had, I took the easy way out and had a shop remove and replace the race for me.... 

Thank you, so the parts I'd need to replace would be one inner bearing and one inner seal per wheel correct? And did you get your parts off rockauto?

Edited by njp.18

I got my rear bearings from Nissan
It's worth putting good bearings in the rear since they are not easy to change
Same for the lock ring

I used USA TIMKEN bearings & seals for the front 
I bought STONE tube seals from Japan from Ebay
JUPITER Grease seals from Japan

• Like 2
5 hours ago, njp.18 said:

Thank you, so the parts I'd need to replace would be one inner bearing and one inner seal per wheel correct? And did you get your parts off rockauto?

No there is also the outer seal too. That's the one I noticed 2 different sizes, it's under the bearing in the hub.... the inner seal would be for the axle housing .... 

And yes I believe I got them all from rock auto.... I think someone gave me the bearings though, but they were timken.

The axle shims I got from nissan....

Once you put the new bearings in you want to check the end play...

I have a bunch of extra ones from when I did mine so depending on your time line and thickness I might be able to help you with a couple. Just let me know if you need some.

• Like 2

STONE axle tube seals...should be Japanese
https://www.ebay.com/itm/350753320664

JUPITER Grease seal...Japanese
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheal-Seal-for-Datsun-Lazorlite-L81-6647-NOS-/202628831996?hash=item2f2d9e9afc

I used KOYO bearings, Japanese, the lock rings are D21

You will be left with a lot of slop after you tighten the nut.
That is where the end play shims come in......You will need a tool like this to measure endplay

DAT JAP DIFF TUBE SEAL.JPG

100_2561.JPG

100_1766.JPG

100_3034.JPG

Edited by Goemon
  • Like 2